Mitt Romney

Gala

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 06:54 pm
Okay, so maybe this ought to be in religion-- But, what are your opinions about his being a Mormon and the possibility he would be president. I feel like a total knucklehead because I am not comfortable with it-- so I need to be enlightened.

I think it's got something to do with the multiple wives, and the conservative views of the church.

Maybe someone from Massachusetts can weigh in on what kind of a governor he was.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,374 • Replies: 61
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:26 pm
Ms Romney has a good come-back re the multiple wives: she apparently likes to point out that her husband is, in fact, the only Republican frontrunner who has had only one wife.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:34 pm
Governor Romney
Former Gov. Romney was a decent Governor. Mormons haven't allowed marital pluralism for over 100 years. In fact, in 1890, the Church officially ended the practice as a doctrine of the Church. Those few that do still have multiple wives...are a very small minority (rural Utah, mainly, Mexico, and Canada ) do so outside of the law and the permission of the Mormon church.

Of course, Mitt Romney is not one of those that practices or supports marital pluralism.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 10:09 pm
One problem with Romney is that he is more of a Flip Flopper than Kerry ever was.

Early in his life he was against gay rights. Then when he was running for a Senate seat (in liberal Massachusetts) he was in favor of gay rights. Now he is trying to win the Republican nomination he is against gay rights again.

You will find this type of opportunism throughout his political life. Listen to how he criticized Massachusetts in the CPAC meeting, compared to how he praised in when he ran for governor.

I don't see how anyone, of any political stripe could like him.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 07:12 am
Thanks for your responses. I figured he wasn't practising bigamy. I know he has done some somersaults over issues he once supported and now retracted. I think above all, he's a business man-- isn't he heir to the Staples fortune? this is why he pushed the universal health care through in Mass.-- it made good business sense. I give him a lot of credit for this, although, I don't know whether the plan is sound or not.

Still, the Mormon stuff. Why is it so foreign to me? Is it because M. Romney has a square jaw and a handsome face and he looks like a wealthy version of a privileged pioneer?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:41 am
Mitt Romney info
W. (Willard) "Mitt" Romney is the son of former Michigan Governor, Housing and Urban Development Secretary, American Motors chairman and Presidential candidate George W. Romney. He was named after a fellow Mormon, hotel magnate J. Willard Marriott and Milton Romney, a relative who played football for the Chicago Bears.

Romney married his wife, Ann Romney, in 1968. Ann was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1998. They have 5 children

Romney is a former CEO of Bain & Company, a management consulting firm, and the co-founder of Bain Capital, a private equity investment firm.
He led Bain & Company through a highly successful turnaround and returned the firm to profitability without layoffs or partner defections

In 1994, Romney led an unsuccessful Senate campaign against incumbent Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy. He also served as the CEO and organizer of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Following his year at Bain & Company, Romney returned to Bain Capital. During the 14 years he headed the company, Bain Capital's average annual internal rate of return on realized investments was 113 percent. During Romney's tenure, the firm founded, acquired or invested in hundreds of companies including Staples, Bright Horizons Family Solutions, Brookstone, Domino's, Sealy Corporation and The Sports Authority. Romney left Bain Capital in 1998 to head the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Games Organizing Committee. (Romney contributed $1 million to the Olympics, and donated the $825,000 salary he earned as President and CEO to charity.)

Personally, I see him making no more (or less) flip-flops than any of the major contenders for the Presidency. IMHO, the sign of a rational mind is to change your mind when you feel you were wrong or misguided. Politics is filled with many troglodytes who won't change even when proven wrong (Pres. Bush).

Info was excerpted and edited from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:01 am
To me, that he is Mormon doesn't matter one bit.

He is a slimey politician who will take any position to get ahead. His current set of beliefs is too conservative to win in the general election (of course he can change again after the primary).

He is the Republican Hillary.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:54 am
While I agree that it is fine for a president or politician to change their minds when reason allows it....however, I don't see how Romney's changing posisitions has anything to do with his reasoning regarding the policy changing as it does the reasoning regarding his electability.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 01:37 pm
Did you hear he conveniently joined the NRA last fall... just as he started to think about running for president?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:12 pm
Re: Mitt Romney
Gala wrote:
Okay, so maybe this ought to be in religion-- But, what are your opinions about his being a Mormon and the possibility he would be president. I feel like a total knucklehead because I am not comfortable with it-- so I need to be enlightened.

I think it's got something to do with the multiple wives, and the conservative views of the church.

Maybe someone from Massachusetts can weigh in on what kind of a governor he was.

If you're uneasy about Mitt being a Mormon, how uncomfortable are you with Obama's being an Evangelical Christian?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:14 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

He is the Republican Hillary.

But, he's much better looking than Hillary!

Embarrassed
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:15 pm
Ironically all of the other top tier Republican candidates, except Romney, HAVE had multiple wives.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:22 pm
I'll bet they're heterosexual. Cool
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 02:25 pm
I am not sure... We will have to ask Ann Coulter.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 04:46 pm
Miller wrote:
If you're uneasy about Mitt being a Mormon, how uncomfortable are you with Obama's being an Evangelical Christian?

I have no hesitation about Obama, what so ever. Obama is an anti-war Liberal, who does not come from money. George Bush is a clueless Christian Evangelical who disregards almost everything and anything that has to do with the people he governs. Romney is a Conservative from privilege, and this too makes me uncomfortable. If he (Romney) were liberal I more than likely would not feel as restless about him.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:43 pm
Gala wrote:
If he (Romney) were liberal I more than likely would not feel as restless about him.

That is what its about.

I am not a Mormon, and the faith is not one I could ever agree with, but if the man is decent, honest, loves this country, and agrees with me politically, I would have no problem supporting him. I know very little about the man so far, but so far he looks about as good as anybody else we have to pick from.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:03 am
Gala wrote:

I have no hesitation about Obama, what so ever. Obama is an anti-war Liberal, who does not come from money.

Obama has been rather mute about what he's accomplished in politics and what he plans to accomplish.

However, I have read his postings on his little website, including his commentary on his "service" to the West Pullman, Roseland, A.-gradens sections on the SouthSide of Chicago and either he's total illiterate about how this once thrivingsection of the City became a slum paradise, or he's
a con-artist.

I suspect he's both an illiterate when it comes to SouthSide history and a con artist.

I would not believe a single word he has to say, even if on Sundays he's an
Evangelical Chrisitan .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:11 am
Quote:
Obama ... does not come from money.

Proving what?

And you "know" this how?

And the significance of this, if true?

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:18 pm
Miller wrote:
Gala wrote:

I have no hesitation about Obama, what so ever. Obama is an anti-war Liberal, who does not come from money.

Obama has been rather mute about what he's accomplished in politics and what he plans to accomplish.

However, I have read his postings on his little website, including his commentary on his "service" to the West Pullman, Roseland, A.-gradens sections on the SouthSide of Chicago and either he's total illiterate about how this once thrivingsection of the City became a slum paradise, or he's
a con-artist.

I suspect he's both an illiterate when it comes to SouthSide history and a con artist.

I would not believe a single word he has to say, even if on Sundays he's an
Evangelical Chrisitan .

Obama may be full of S***, but I would never refer to him as illiterate.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:55 am
Quote:
George Bush is a ... Christian Evangelical

Yes, he is, but not nearly to the extent that Obama is an evangelical Christian while in attendance at his church on West 95 th street on Chicago's SouthSide, a Church that has ZERO white members. And... a Church that doesn't want any white members.
Sad
0 Replies