Studying Europe's Muslim terrorists

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, Walter, thank you.

Interestingly, that made far less headlines than the protests in Cologne. Sigh, not sensational enough, I suppose.
McTag

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:41 pm
@dagmaraka,

The mosque in Edinburgh is popular because it serves inexpensive curry lunches which the students like.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:45 pm
@McTag,
heh, i'd be down for that, too. especially here. all that is edible comes from surinam or indonesia anyway...certainly NOT from dutch "cuisine".
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 04:53 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

The mosque in Edinburgh is popular because it serves inexpensive curry lunches which the students like.
Smile

Dag I'm not defensive. I'm being offensive* against certain political or religious ideas which advocate violence. Its not my fault if Islam is one of them.

Walter, pleased to learn of the Turkish brewery. If more Muslims relaxed over a beer or two perhaps there would be fewer jihadists. On the other hand, if they had to drink the beer with cola...well that could make anyone pretty sick...Sad

* I'm sure you understand the meaning with which I use this word.
McTag

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm

Dag, Steve

Interesting report here:

http://able2know.org/topic/125278-1#post-3468414
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:41 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:
On the other hand, if they had to drink the beer with cola...well that could make anyone pretty sick...Sad

Popular in Germany since about 50 years, called - regionally different - "Diesel" or ...
“Beer-based mixed drinks” have always been very popular here. Since beer taxation changed in 1993, those beverages are sold pre-mixed in bottles. (Though someone tried to stop the production in a brewery some years ago Wink )
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:05 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Dag, Steve

Interesting report here:

http://able2know.org/topic/125278-1#post-3468414
That is interesting McT thanks. I know Dag probably wont believe me but I actually feel sorry for most Muslims. They have no choice when it comes to religion. And for the millions who take it seriously they find the good name of their religion traduced by the few who use violence in its name. Lets hope violence in the name of religion will cease. But somehow I doubt it.

There was a jolly good punch up between monks at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem over the weekend. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7718587.stm

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:17 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

There was a jolly good punch up between monks at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem over the weekend. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7718587.stm

Yesterday, I started a thread about that, with link to a video: "Holy War"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 03:29 am

The insurgents causing problems in Mumbai at the moment are being identified in the news bulletins as "islamists"
Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 06:33 am
@McTag,
I dont know what to do about the scourge of religious terrorism. And greater brains than I dont either. At a time when the world is facing real and immediate problems, global recession, climate change, resource and food stress etc, we have these religious fuckwits running around with machine guns thinking they are doing God's will by killing as many westerners as possible. I'm totally against killing people. But I'm not against using the disinfectant of rational thought to wipe out harmful and contagious religious creeds.To all those muslims in Bradford Rochdale and Birmingham who quietly revel in the slaughter in Mumbai, I tell you Allah is not pleased.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 07:13 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:
To all those muslims in Bradford Rochdale and Birmingham who quietly revel in the slaughter in Mumbai, I tell you Allah is not pleased.

How do you know that? Is "Deccan Mujahideen" active in the UK? (It is said that the terrorists were foreigners, not Indians.)
McTag

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 09:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,

The Indian PM said they were probably foreigners, but I think he is probably wrong. This looks like an inside job.
Anyway, we should know today or tomorrow.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 09:36 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

The Indian PM said they were probably foreigners, but I think he is probably wrong. This looks like an inside job.

Might - but many analysts say the same.
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 01:14 pm
Islam in Europe ...
Here's one man's view
Caution .. may cause offence to some ...

McTag

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 01:57 pm
@Deckland,

It show how easily things can get polarised.

If we (as a nation) want to be hospitable, and kind to immigrants (required for our economy) and accommodating to genuine asylum seekers, and tolerant of other religions (without being patronising as we do so), it doesn't help if some of them (and funnily enough it's usually not the immigrants themselves, but their offspring) denigrate our society and even try to kill us.

We could co-exist okay without that. And the catalyst is religion.

So the solution, if there is one, needs to come from within the muslim clergy. Among which there are plenty of moderates, it seems.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 02:31 pm
@McTag,
Your post brings something to mind that helps to establish commonality and discipline in students: uniforms from primary school into intermediate grades.

Even in Bhutan, students are required to help clean up the school yard, and many walk to school - one hour to school, and one hour home. And that's during the winter months, when snow can hamper the best of us adults in good health.

They prey at the beginning of the school day, and pray at the end of the school day. It's about the only time I agree with a country's culture of religion in school.

McTag

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 03:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Anything which increases social cohesion is to be welcomed.

To that end, I think for example that it is a bad mistake to encourage a polyglot society.
What the hell are we doing, issuing translations of official documents and pamphlets?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 03:09 pm
@McTag,
We all should speak only American! Wink
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 04:39 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It show how easily things can get polarised.

If we (as a nation) want to be hospitable, and kind to immigrants (required for our economy) and accommodating to genuine asylum seekers, and tolerant of other religions (without being patronising as we do so), it doesn't help if some of them (and funnily enough it's usually not the immigrants themselves, but their offspring) denigrate our society and even try to kill us.

We could co-exist okay without that. And the catalyst is religion.

So the solution, if there is one, needs to come from within the muslim clergy. Among which there are plenty of moderates, it seems.

McTag, I find it impossible to be tolerant of a religion which allows beheadings, stoning to death, female mutilation, honour killings, wife beating, and not to mention what you can do to be assured a place in paradise.
To be tolerant of those things would be against my upbringing.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:17 am
@Deckland,
I too find it impossible to be tolerant of people who think killing me is God's wish.

Every morning here in the UK on radio 4 is a 3 minute slot at 7.45am reserved for a religious view. It usually alternates, Christian Sikh Jewish Muslim etc etc. And usually I switch it off. But this morning I wasnt quick enough and it was a Buddhist speaker. Of course he was talking about Mumbai but what he said was quite interesting. To summarise, clear thinking on such a matter can only be achieved by not over reacting...not becoming filled with hate...and declaring "war on terror"...being sympathetic towards suffering but not over sentimental and by not being consumed with fear and anxiety.

Anyway it made a refreshing change from the inane trivia they usually pump out. (One of the worst offenders here imo is rabbi Lionel Blue..I know you like him, Mct, but imo there is a limit to funny stories about cake and homosexuality ...)

Walter, I think I have as much authority to speculate on the unknowable as any Iman or Ayatollah. Moreover I have an infallible holy book that I just wrote and on page one it says "Thou shalt not machine gun passengers at Mumbai railway station or I will be severely pissed off". Smile

0 Replies