6,000 Muslim clerics approve a fatwa against terrorism

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:15 pm
Muslim clerics endorse anti-terror fatwa

Quote:
About 6,000 Muslim clerics from around India approved a fatwa against terrorism Saturday at a conference in Hyderabad.

Maulana Qari Mohammad Usman Mansoorpuri, president of the Jamaiat-Ulama-i-Hind, called terrorism the most serious problem facing Islam, The Hindu reported. He blamed Islamic radicals for their actions and the news media for failing to distinguish between the radicals and the majority of Muslims.

"Islam rejects all kinds of unjust violence, breach of peace, bloodshed, murder and plunder and does not allow it in any form. Cooperation should be done for the cause of good but not for committing sin or oppression," the fatwa written at the Darul Uloom Deoband, India's foremost Islamic seminary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 6,358 • Replies: 36
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Good on 'em!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Pasting an excerpt from a different thread...

Quote:
During the presidential campaign, I interviewed a London radical with suspected connections to al-Qaeda. He was particularly concerned about how Obama might be the agent of such change. "Obama would be a nightmare for us," he said. "He looks like the world, he knows Islam, his grandfather was a goat herder from Kenya, living like much of the world still lives. As president, he might finally unify the world's Muslim moderates, who outnumber us four or five to one. They know who we are, where we live. They could crush us." http://able2know.org/topic/71145-1105#post-3468149

I've long felt the the unification of the world's Muslim moderates was the longterm answer to the radical extremists. I can only hope that they feel less isolated and more empowered to stand up to those who have claimed Islam as their own and used it as a shield to perpetuate their own fanatical agendas.
McTag

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Good news, very good.

I will link this for Steve and Dag on another thread.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Maulana Qari Mohammad Usman Mansoorpuri, president of the Jamaiat-Ulama-i-Hind, called terrorism the most serious problem facing Islam, The Hindu reported. He blamed Islamic radicals for their actions and the news media for failing to distinguish between the radicals and the majority of Muslims.

"Islam rejects all kinds of unjust violence, breach of peace, bloodshed, murder and plunder and does not allow it in any form.

That sounds good, but what are they going to do to stop the terrorists, speak sternly to them?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@JPB,
Quote:

"Obama would be a nightmare for us,"

Much more likely a Marxist nightmare for US.

We shall see; too soon -- we shall see.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:53 pm
@JPB,
5 days after his election, and he's already fixed terrorism. What will he do for his next miracle?
JPB

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:56 pm
@Ticomaya,
Your cynicism is showing, Tico.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:16 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

That sounds good, but what are they going to do to stop the terrorists, speak sternly to them?

Hey, that just might work. Think of Mao's guerilla fishies swimming in a friendly sea. A loss of popular support and sympathy might just send them into another line of work.
dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:13 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

5 days after his election, and he's already fixed terrorism. What will he do for his next miracle?

Did anyone actually connect the fatwa with Obama?

Not this little white rabbit.
Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 05:49 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Good news, very good.

I will link this for Steve and Dag on another thread.
Excellent. So there is a ban on invoking the name of Allah to justify violence. I'll down-grade my categorisation of Islam from being dangerous nonsense to just nonsense.
McTag

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:21 am
@Steve 41oo,
It was a carefully-worded statement, though:

"...Islam rejects all kinds of unjust violence...."

Plenty of wriggle-room there, I would have thought.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
It's about time. The problem is that the moderate Islamists have sat with their hands on their laps while the terrorists have run the show.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:51 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:

Did anyone actually connect the fatwa with Obama?

Did you read JPB's post to which I was responding?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:15 am
@roger,
Quote:
Hey, that just might work. Think of Mao's guerilla fishies swimming in a friendly sea. A loss of popular support and sympathy might just send them into another line of work.

Well maybe. But my main point was that it sounded kind of ironic for these clerics to be preaching peace and issuing a Fatwa.

What the heck is a Fatwa anyway? Is it a call to arms, or just a statement of principle? Is it the same for Sunni and for Shia?
JPB

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:29 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
fatwa: the decision of a judge or mufti. A fatwa is issued in a case of conscience and should be based in the Shari'ah. source
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:32 am
@JPB,
Quote:
fatwa: the decision of a judge or mufti. A fatwa is issued in a case of conscience and should be based in the Shari'ah.

Ok, so it's like saying "6,000 Muslim clerics approved an opinion against terrorism".

Well, I guess it's a start in the right direction.
JPB

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:37 am
@rosborne979,
But taken in the context of Shari'ah, which is the civil code under Islam. It's comparable to Halakhah in Judaism. Christianity doesn't have anything similar which is one reason Christians try to instill their moral code into democratic civil laws. What it means (simply put) is that if the civil government were to collapse then the society could continue because the civil authority exists within the religious umbrella.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:45 am
@JPB,
I think I get it. So, it's more like issuing a law than an opinion?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:59 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

So, it's more like issuing a law than an opinion?

A mufti gives a ives a formal legal opinion (fatwā) in answer to an inquiry by a private individual or a judge.
A fatwā usually requires knowledge of the Qurʾān and Ḥadīth (narratives concerning the Prophet’s life and sayings), as well as knowledge of exegesis and collected precedents, and might be a pronouncement on some problematic legal matter.

Source: Encyclopædia Britannica.
0 Replies