Studying Europe's Muslim terrorists

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:31 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

That's right. Muslim terrorists from the Middle East give their race a bad name, at least here.

And that's something totally different.

What 'race' is it, btw?
McTag

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 06:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Is that a trick question? Semitic. Arabs and Persians and there may be some others.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 07:32 am
@McTag,
Nothing tricky at all: more than 90% of the Muslims here (about 3 million) are Turkish. We like them (generally) - and their country.

Not sure what 'race' that is (we don't differ people by races, besides those terrible 33 years some 70 years ago) but they are whatever Eurasian.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:05 pm
@McTag,
mctag wrote :

Quote:
Steve's original point (somewhere, if not on this thread) was that Islam is about the only region which says you should kill people who are not muslim.

I think the Christians did this in Spain in the Middle Ages (convert or die). Maybe it's just a stage they have to get through. Unfortunately, modern explosives are super-effective.

not only in spain from what i recall - unless you include central-america .
wouldn't want to count how many people were killed in the name of the christian religion and islam - both numbers would be pretty gruesome .

in canada many modern muslims have become quite outspoken about the faults of certain interpretations of islam that are harmful to every one .
many muslims have appeared on TV - and written in newspapers - about the excesses and wrong interpretations of the koran . there have been some VERY lively debates !
we have met a muslim woman who is a sort of crusader for a true and non-violent islamism . she is not popular with all muslims but has not given up her fight to bring islam and muslim women into the modern age .
she has lived in canada for many years and when we met her at a friend's house at a dinnerparty i had the true pleasure of sitting next to her and talk to her . i certainly would not have been able to tell that she is a muslim unless i'd read her newspaper article first (and knew her point of view) .
we have plenty of extremists of all religious groups : muslim , sikh , christian ... i hope no group is insulted by being left out .

all EXTREMES are harmful imo .
hbg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:36 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Is that a trick question? Semitic. Arabs and Persians and there may be some others.

those are races? not that it's terribly important, just another point in the case of futileness of this conversation.
McTag

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:45 pm
@dagmaraka,

Cesarewich, that's a race.

Arabs, semitic, that's a race.

Persians, Indo-European I think, that's another race.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:15 pm
@McTag,
ummm, not really. it's not as straightforward as that at all.
McTag

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 02:54 am
@dagmaraka,
Well, what am I, a geneticist?

As the Scots say "We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns".
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:30 pm
@McTag,
No, of course you're not a genetist....these things just sometimes cut way too close to someone's heart is all.
littlek

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:42 pm
@dagmaraka,
Race is a silly construct. Anything more defined than the classification of 'species' can not be scientifically differentiated. The only things that separate races are superficial. If you want to distinguish people by culturally distinct behaviors, attitudes, laws, etc, you're talking about ethnicity or regionalism.
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:46 pm
@littlek,
and even those categories should be treated with some complexity and multiperspectivity. but those are usually far less convenient.
littlek

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:49 pm
@dagmaraka,
Eeyep. And we haven't even begun to address religion!
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:51 pm
@littlek,
i guess it goes for just about anything. the method of inquiry very much determines what we learn (or not learn)
littlek

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:59 pm
@dagmaraka,
Well typed!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:03 pm

I'm all for multiperspectivity.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:57 am
@dagmaraka,
I heard yesterday about a 13 year old girl who was stoned to death in Somalia. Her "crime" was that of being raped. She was crying, but "the will of Allah" must be done.

No one has called me a racist, but it seems the charge of "islamophobia" is almost as bad. But if a phobia is an irrational fear, there is nothing irrational about fearing religious ideas that inspire devotees to stone young girls to death, plant bombs on the underground and to murder apostates homosexuals and artists.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:41 am
@Steve 41oo,
if you're so sure of your positions, why so defensive?

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:49 am
@Steve 41oo,
Actually, there's a lot more to complain about going on in Somalia - and I have some or some doubts that European Muslims are really involved there.

On another note: in Dortmund, the first Muslim owned brewery is planned (Dortmund has [had?] the highest concentration of breweries in Germany over centuries]:
Quote:
Bey-Bier!
Taste the Bey-life!
Pure Taste of Turkey!
Bey Bier is a piece of Beyoglu
Bey Bier is Istanbul
Bey Bier is a part of Turkey

Homepage

There range of products actually mirror what is 'in' with the beer-drinking under 30-generation here - no wonder, they tested their products (now brewed in/at ... guess where, Steve? Very Happy ) at Dortmund University.

http://i35.tinypic.com/qobzeq.jpg
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Meanwhile, Tariq Ramadan is visiting the Pope and Christian-Muslim coalition of spiritual leaders has been formed to work towards understanding and tolerance. German imams are offered education on German political system and culture, and a large mosque has been opened in Essen (? I think) without any protests, in fact was supported by the local Christian community.

.... I mean, as long as we're playing the "let me select one case" game -- there are good stories, too. Like I said, we can play these ad nausea. Except these above are actually from Europe.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:47 pm
@dagmaraka,
Duisburg it was - but the town doesn't really matter. Affiliated (though inside the mosque's building) is an intercultural- and interreligious center: used by the neighbouring Catholic and Evangelical parishes from the first day onwards.