Eating Moldy? Food

gollum

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:44 pm
I cooked a white potato for an hour and ate most of it before I noticed that part of the remaining portion looked "moldy" Possibly, I ate part of the moldy area.

Am I in danger? Is there anything I can do about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,192 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
You are gonna die a horrible and painful death.

But probably not from mouldy potatoes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:57 pm
Not sure about mold on potatos. On bread, green mold is usually safe if you don't have a mold allergy. If it's black, put on the mask and gloves, and dispose of it carefully. Keep in mind that the moldy portion extends way beyond the visible portion.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:01 pm
Do you mean it looked green or was it black? It's possible to get botulism from a potato, although cooking it long enough will kill it. Green flesh on potatoes is technically poisonous, but it will take quite a lot of it to kill you or even make you sick.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:08 pm
Don't be too concerned about botulism. It's caused by Clostridium butulinum, an anaerobic bacterium that produces a potent toxin when it reverts from a spore to an active state. It can't do so in the presence of free oxygen. Most molds are not particularly toxic. Those that are, especially the type of Aspergillus flavus that releases aflatoxin, are quite deadly. Since you are apparently still alive, I must assume that you didn't eat that one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:22 pm
Besides which, Clostridium is not fungus, as cowdoc well knows.

I saw a tv show in my young life that showed myceliiae from mold working their way through cheese. Put me right off, I must say.

But my sense of scale was off on that. Cheese can be still ok to eat, given a bit of slicing. Plus, I'm not so sure all that that seemed physically abominable was all so bad. Indeed, may be considered healthy.

In my own grocery store, we have a choice of the-most-possibly-uninteresting cheese and of the second most possibly un-interesting cheese.

Much is ridiculous.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:20 am
Even bread molds are harmless. And blue cheese which, is basically moldy cheese, is delicious.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 11:16 am
I've eaten so much moldy food, and I'm still kicking.

Did it taste funny? Usually our tastebuds are fairly reliable in telling us what not to eat.

I guess you wouldn't notice though if it was covered in delicious sour cream. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 11:17 am
Osso and Nick remind me. The last time I read a diner menu, one of the daily specials was Chicken Gordon Blue.

This diner does make wonderful home fries--very crusty and crunchy.
0 Replies