Conservapedia - the US religious right's answer to Wikipedia

wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 11:38 am
Has anyone here registered as a Conservapedia user?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 11:41 am
Wandel; I think Blatham might have written the bit about Clinton on the first page. :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 11:44 am
conservapeabrain excellent

where do they come up with this stuff Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 11:45 am
Conservapedia Terms of Use:

Quote:
The Conservapedia Commandments

This page is the only rule page on Conservapedia. These guidelines are kept simple in order to avoid the arbitrary and biased enforcement that is rampant on many other websites.

The Commandments
Everything you post must be true and verifiable.

Always cite and give credit to your sources, even if in the public domain.
Edits/new pages must be family-friendly, clean, concise, and without gossip or foul language.

When referencing dates based on the approximate birth of Jesus, give appropriate credit for the basis of the date (B.C. or A.D.). "BCE" and "CE" are unacceptable substitutes because they deny the historical basis. See CE.

As much as is possible, American spelling of words must be used.[1]

Do not post personal opinion on an encyclopedia entry. Opinions can be posted on Talk:pages or on debate or discussion pages.

Edits which violate these rules will be deleted. Users who violate the rules repeatedly will be blocked. A blatantly inappropriate entry, such as vandalism or obscenity, can result in immediate blocking without warning.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:15 pm
Oh, that is lovely. I have it bookmarked now.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:43 pm
That site is NOT serious!

Please tell me it's not.

Please!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:04 pm
squinney wrote:

Please tell me it's not.

Please!

Looks like satire to me.

Here's the whole entry on Australia:

"Australia

Australia is part of Oceania, and a largely secular nation.

The Australian aborigines (natives) exist to this day on the island, having their own culture that only began to change with immigration by Europeans in the past 200 years. The aborigines foraged (searched) for food and did not farm. Australians did not have agriculture until the Europeans arrived. (citation needed)"
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:30 pm
squinney wrote:

Please tell me it's not.

Please!
I had some fun searching through what little they have for fun's sake, and overall they do appear to be quite serious. Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 06:01 pm
Oh my gosh! That is a funny site to browse.

I love that their cheif medical reference is: Wile, Dr. Jay L. Exploring Creation With Biology. Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc. 1998
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 06:23 pm
Interesting!

I was just looking around, clicking on links, and suddenly I was logged in as User XXXXXX.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:54 am
Ryphe wit typeohs.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:07 pm
At least you can access it these days.

I learned about it a couple of weeks ago. The site was so swamped I couldn't connect.

There seems to be sport amongst some people to edit it with the result being getting banned when you don't follow their world view.

The site was created by home schooled children to fight the bias in Wikipedia. If nothing it makes you question the home schooling movement in the US.

Quote:
Examples of Bias in Wikipedia
From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The growing list of examples of bias and errors on Wikipedia. Please add to this, and also contribute entries to Conservapedia.

1. Wikipedia allows the use of B.C.E. instead of B.C. and C.E. instead of A.D. The dates are based on the birth of Jesus, so why pretend otherwise? Conservapedia is Christian-friendly and exposes the CE deception.
2. Wikipedia's entry for the Renaissance denies any credit to Christianity, its primary inspiration.
3. Polls show that about twice as many Americans identify themselves as "conservative" compared with "liberal", and that ratio has been increasing for two decades.[1] But on Wikipedia, about three times as many editors identify themselves as "liberal" compared with "conservative".[2] That suggests Wikipedia is six times more liberal than the American public.
4. Wikipedia's entry on abortion reads like a brochure for the abortion industry. Wikipedia denies and omits the results of 16 out of 17 statistically significant studies showing increased risk of breast cancer from abortion.[3] Wikipedia's entry also omits the evidence of abortion causing increased premature birth of subsequent children.[4].
The list goes on for some length

http://www.conservapedia.com/Examples_of_Bias_in_Wikipedia
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:18 pm
I like this one
http://www.conservapedia.com/Young_Earth_Creationism

Quote:
Young Earth Creationism
From Conservapedia

Young Earth Creationism is the belief that the Earth (and generally the universe) is approximately 6,000 years old as opposed to the evolutionary view that Earth is 4.5 Billion years old and that the universe is at least 13 Billion years old....

Popularity

Roughly 45% of the United States are Young Earth Creationists and this number has stayed roughly constant for the last 20 years.

Yes, 45% of the US believes that the earth is 6000 years old.
Laughing
They even give a citation for it which in no way supports their claim.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:23 pm
parados wrote:
At least you can access it these days.

I learned about it a couple of weeks ago. The site was so swamped I couldn't connect.

There seems to be sport amongst some people to edit it with the result being getting banned when you don't follow their world view.

The site was created by home schooled children to fight the bias in Wikipedia. If nothing it makes you question the home schooling movement in the US.

Quote:
Examples of Bias in Wikipedia
From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The growing list of examples of bias and errors on Wikipedia. Please add to this, and also contribute entries to Conservapedia.

1. Wikipedia allows the use of B.C.E. instead of B.C. and C.E. instead of A.D. The dates are based on the birth of Jesus, so why pretend otherwise? Conservapedia is Christian-friendly and exposes the CE deception.
2. Wikipedia's entry for the Renaissance denies any credit to Christianity, its primary inspiration.
3. Polls show that about twice as many Americans identify themselves as "conservative" compared with "liberal", and that ratio has been increasing for two decades.[1] But on Wikipedia, about three times as many editors identify themselves as "liberal" compared with "conservative".[2] That suggests Wikipedia is six times more liberal than the American public.
4. Wikipedia's entry on abortion reads like a brochure for the abortion industry. Wikipedia denies and omits the results of 16 out of 17 statistically significant studies showing increased risk of breast cancer from abortion.[3] Wikipedia's entry also omits the evidence of abortion causing increased premature birth of subsequent children.[4].
The list goes on for some length

http://www.conservapedia.com/Examples_of_Bias_in_Wikipedia

Well, since the precise date of Christ's birth is a matter of some amiguity even among the faithful (and the currently accepted year likely is dead wrong), it seems that there shouldn't be any objection to using BCE instead of BC. I mean, don't people get upset when you get their birthdays wrong?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:31 pm
Under Conservapedia's terms of use, repeated use of BCE or CE can get you banned from the site.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:48 pm
It'll be interesting to see how they impose message discipline on a wiki, which everyone can edit.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:50 pm
parados wrote:
Laughing

Are you implying they're wrong?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:11 pm
Thomas wrote:
parados wrote:
Laughing

Thomas, as you know, the outcome of a survey can depend on how it is worded.

A recent AP news item mentioned:
Quote:
Nick Allum of the University of Surry in England suggested belief in astrology might be a simple misunderstanding of the question, with people confusing astrology with astronomy.

In one European study about 25% of people said they thought astrology was very scientific. But when the question was rephrased to horoscopes that fell to about 7%.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:16 pm
Thomas wrote:
parados wrote:
Laughing

What's 6000 years give or take a few billion?

Of course they are right. God is on their side. :wink:
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:20 pm
Oh I see, you meant citations to support the contention that the Earth is young, not that 45% of Americans believe that it is.
0 Replies