overwieght problems

girl93

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:31 pm
I've been wanting to loose wieght for years & just never got around to actually sticking to a diet or exercise plan. i am 14 & am 200 pounds.
i need something that will really work for me. can anyone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,066 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:35 pm
A friend or family member--or someone who will work out with you, so that you have someone to answer to besides yourself. Walking for 20-30 minutes a day will bring the weight off.

You just have to DO it.

Good luck, sweetie.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:36 pm
overwieght problems.
how long would it take?
& is that all you really would have to do??
what would make it come off easier & faster?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:37 pm
Walking 45 minutes a day.

But, if you have a tough time sticking with a program--45 minutes a day is more apt to make you quit.

Consistency is the key.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:39 pm
overwieght problems
do you do anything specific to help it?
set good amount of calories & not go over that amount?
what do you think is a good wieght for a 14 year old girl?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:42 pm
There is very good advice in the first 6 pages of this thread.

Teen Dieting

The only way to loose weight is too eat fewer calories: stick to veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein. No junky carbs or fats. And like Lash already stated - get moving. Everyone loses weight at different rates, you won't know what your body will do until you try. The good news is it's easier to lose weight when you are young.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
I think the best thing to do is forget the weight (because it's a motivation that hasn't been working or you so far) and decide to become healthy.

Follow regular common sense eating habits (the four basic food groups), try to limit sugar and carbs (but don't cut them out), eat three meals a day with healthy snacks... drink eight glasses of water....and walk.

You'll begin to look more beautiful every day.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:44 pm
ok thank you for the advice.
i want to start fresh tomarrow morning.
is there anything i should know before i get started?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:44 pm
You are beautiful.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:49 pm
girl93 wrote:
ok thank you for the advice.
i want to start fresh tomarrow morning.
is there anything i should know before i get started?

You only have to lose one pound. After you lose that one pound do another one and so on.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:10 pm
Are your parents heavy ?
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:49 pm
overwieght problems
well my mother is.
i follow in her footsteps :/
why?
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:34 pm
Whatever you do... don't go on a diet, chances are if you do, you will only last a short while, then end up fatter than you are already.
Simply... only buy food that you know is unprocessed, use olive oil for everything... swap things like white bread for say rye bread, swap white potatoes for sweet potatoes, only put small portions on your plate of fattening tasty foods and larger portions of vegetables and mix small amounts on your fork of the tasty to larger portions of the vegetables... to start a new eating plan, slowly reduce the size of your meals to allow your already swollen stomach to shrink in size and most important... don't weigh yourself accept at the end of each month... don't study yourself in the mirror, try to forget you are trying to loose weight.
The most important fact in loosing weight is you have to mentally reinvest in yourself, know you are living a new life and that given time you will become the person you want to be, and never ever reward yourself with anything you know you shouldn't... don't force yourself to exercise but use every excuse to do a little every time you think of it.. this isn't a quick fix way of loosing weight, it's a natural way.
Hope this helps....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:55 am
Re: overwieght problems
girl93 wrote:
well my mother is.
why?

Because that would effect the types of food you have to pick from.

Quite frankly ( and im not handing out excuses.. but..) If you have overweight parents, odds are they fill the house with chips, cookies, sodas, and white starch.
Sort of leaving you no option on being fat yourself.

My mother did this to me and it is only now as an adult that i can see what was happening.

I was taught that healthy food was Sun Chips + a ham sandwich
Given that lesson, Im still fat today sadly.

I have learned that the best food for you should not need to be cooked , nor come in a package.

Veggies, you can pick those up and eat them raw.
If you cant eat the food raw, it is more then likely bad for you.

I lost 80lbs JUST CHANGING WHAT I ATE and nothing more.

Im a lazy **** who doesnt want to exercise, walk, ride bikes.. nothing.
I like my computer, and movies. I work hard during the day, I dont want to hop on a bike for 2 more hours just to burn off some pizza. Screw that.. I got South Park to watch.

So I came to the conclusion that, I wanted to stay seated and lose weight.

So I ate veggies for snacks. Unflavored popcorn for movie food, brown rice as a side dish, broccoli, carrots, celery with peanut butter , kale on toast with blended strawberries as "jelly" etc..

I could give you some ideas.. but your first task is to convince your parents that you NEED DIFFERENT FOODS.
You will have to eat differently then the entire house and that is a HUGE task to uphold.
But you can do it. Even if you have to get down and dirty with your words.. you can do it. Smile
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:00 am
shewolfnm wrote:
girl93 wrote:
well my mother is.
why?

Unflavored popcorn for movie food, brown rice as a side dish, broccoli, carrots, celery with peanut butter , kale on toast with blended strawberries as "jelly" etc.. Smile

Overall, I love your advice SheWolf. However, the only place i think they serve kale as a jelly is in Guantanamo prison. I would suggest just looking for the no-sugar varieties and keep the portion size to what it says on the jar. As for no favor popcorn - try adding spices like curry and cumin with a little of that no calorie butter spray (it's just water and flavoring).

Other tips:
Instead of bread switch to high fiber crackers.
Eat a handful of peanuts if you feel hunger, it levels bloodsugar quicky and gets rid of hunger pains.
Drink a big glass of water before meals.
Remember your stomach is only as big as your fist. You don't need to stretch it much to feel full.
Eat on small size plates and you will automatically eat less.
Keep a food diary. It will make you think twice before eating anything.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:36 pm
thank you all for advice is there any good web pages that you guys consider & have really helped before?
& do you think that diet pills are right for a 14 year old?
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
girl93 wrote:
well my mother is.
why?

Because that would effect the types of food you have to pick from.

Quite frankly ( and im not handing out excuses.. but..) If you have overweight parents, odds are they fill the house with chips, cookies, sodas, and white starch.
Sort of leaving you no option on being fat yourself.

My mother did this to me and it is only now as an adult that i can see what was happening.

I was taught that healthy food was Sun Chips + a ham sandwich
Given that lesson, Im still fat today sadly.

I have learned that the best food for you should not need to be cooked , nor come in a package.

Veggies, you can pick those up and eat them raw.
If you cant eat the food raw, it is more then likely bad for you.

I lost 80lbs JUST CHANGING WHAT I ATE and nothing more.

Im a lazy **** who doesnt want to exercise, walk, ride bikes.. nothing.
I like my computer, and movies. I work hard during the day, I dont want to hop on a bike for 2 more hours just to burn off some pizza. Screw that.. I got South Park to watch.

So I came to the conclusion that, I wanted to stay seated and lose weight.

So I ate veggies for snacks. Unflavored popcorn for movie food, brown rice as a side dish, broccoli, carrots, celery with peanut butter , kale on toast with blended strawberries as "jelly" etc..

I could give you some ideas.. but your first task is to convince your parents that you NEED DIFFERENT FOODS.
You will have to eat differently then the entire house and that is a HUGE task to uphold.
But you can do it. Even if you have to get down and dirty with your words.. you can do it. Smile

Shewolf thanks sooo much i can tell you completly understand what i'm saying.
& I've been pretty fair on healthy snacks lunch dinner etc. do you have any more ideas and such that could help more?

p.s. monday- friday i powerwalk/run a mile will that help much??
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 05:28 pm
Absolutely! Smile

One idea is to vary the workout if you can. So if you run for a few days a week, maybe do strength training for a day, then run another few days, that kind of thing.

Better eating is about choices, and sometimes it's about making the right choices just plain easier for yourself.

I have a job where I sit all day in an office. But I've actually lost some weight. Why?
1) I walk at least a good mile every day as a part of my commute. The first month or so, it was torture. I had shin splints even though I wore sneakers to work. I was just plain miserable. But then I started to feel better. Now I can walk a lot faster, and no more shin splints. I've had to do this workout, rain or shine, every day for five days a week since late last August.
2) I bring healthy stuff for breakfast and lunch. It's soooooooo easy to sabotage your eating. There are vending machines. Hell, there are three or four places nearby where I could (mostly) buy rotten choices. So I bring food with me.
-- Breakfast: 2 packets of oatmeal and coffee with a fat free nondairy creamer (it's an indulgence but I use very little of it. You do need a few indulgences as too much deprivation makes it very, very hard to stick to an eating plan).
-- Lunch: cup of vegetarian soup, I get a kind that's low or no fat and low salt; an apple and a handful of mixed unsalted nuts. I have the Crystal light iced tea packets and drink at least 1 of those, too. Even on cold days I don't mind having them hot; I'll just mix in a bag of green tea if it's too weird (the orange stuff hot is kinda strange, but with tea it just tastes like orange-flavored tea).
3) Dinner means some variety as that's also needed to keep up with an eating plan. Tonight we're having turkey stroganoff. The sauce is made with skim milk. The turkey is all-white breast meat with no skin -- I know because I made the turkey myself over the weekend. Plus I threw in some green beans. We (my husband and I) will have this with a salad. Salads are very low fat except for some feta or gorgonzola cheese on top and a few croutons. The dressing is very light, it's the spray kind so you use very little. I'll probably drink skim milk tonight.

Anyway, I've lost a few pounds and a few areas have gotten, er, firmer. And this is with very little effort when you get right down to it. I'm also 44. It's a lot easier to lose weight when you're 14 so keep in mind if you follow something similar and/or shewolf's ideas, you'll probably do better than we would (shewolf is a lot younger than I am).

Also, the idea of having better foods in the house is right on target. We humans are programmed for inertia. If it's a chore to go out and get donuts, we'll usually pick prepared carrot sticks if they're right in front of us, because that's just plain easier.

Good luck to you. You can do it.
0 Replies

girl93

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 01:37 pm
thank you so so so much!
it really helps alot.
I'm really just going to take oatmeal & start eating it for breakfast & so on haha!
well i don't usually eat breakfast becuase usually it makes me feel sick by the time im in school .. & for lunch i usually have low fat wheat thins & a fruit like strawberries oranges apples somethig like that & a water.
afterschool is when i dont eat so good. thats when i usually go for the cookies or just junk.but this past week ive been pretty good & haven't really had the hunger to eat.
for dinner we use smaller plates so that i really eat less but my plate is filled. & for dinner its usually chiken, pasta, hamburgers, steak, pizza .. something like that. & after dinner my mom trys not to buy ice cream or candy so i dont usually have anything after.

any suggestions on what shoulod change from that?
0 Replies

MzDaizy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 01:43 pm
Have you talked to your parents? Maybe that would help things...If you tell your mom you're concerned about your weight, figure, etc., she might cut back on the portions...possibly go for walks or excersize with you.
0 Replies