"My heart says something else".

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:13 pm
NYT article on Minnesota polio outbreak in 2005

Earlier article by cdc about "wild" polio virus transmission (1995)

article on the Minnesota outbreak - Univ South Carolina
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:19 pm
Thanks, Osso!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:42 pm
Quote:
From 1995 to 1999, said Ms. Packard, the school nurse, an epidemic here of whooping cough, which can be fatal in infants, hospitalized some infants and left some children with chronic asthma. Ms. Forest's grandson Deven had whooping cough two years ago and, she conceded, probably passed the disease to 10 other children, including an infant.

"Yeah, that bothered me," Ms. Forest said. "But I called everybody and we studied up on what you can do to build up the immune system."

This kills me/ "We studied up on what you can do to build up the immune system." You mean, like, expose it to a vaccine?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:33 pm
Linkat wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Right, there are areas where it's actually becoming an issue again because of a concentration of anti-vaccination idiots. There was one in the Pacific Northwest somewhere I think, can look it up, don't remember details right now.

I don't understand how this happens in the normal society groups in the US. Schools require children to be vaccinated in order to prevent this from happening. So unless there are a good amount of home schooled kids in one area, it would be difficult for this to occur. That is understandable in the Amish community - I wonder if it is a similar group in the Northwest or perhaps it is a community where home schooling is the vogue.

Is there some sane reason why girls need to be vaccinated against the virus, if they're not going to be engaged in any form of sexual activity? Do they need this vaccine in order to study Latin, History, Algebra or Chemistry?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:35 pm
Quote:
"Yeah, that bothered me," Ms. Forest said. "But I called everybody and we studied up on what you can do to build up the immune system."

One way is to get plenty of sleep, get healthy food and for God's sake avoid any interactions with those TB-infected illegals who're crawling across the borders of the USA.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 04:01 pm
Miller wrote:
Linkat wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Right, there are areas where it's actually becoming an issue again because of a concentration of anti-vaccination idiots. There was one in the Pacific Northwest somewhere I think, can look it up, don't remember details right now.

I don't understand how this happens in the normal society groups in the US. Schools require children to be vaccinated in order to prevent this from happening. So unless there are a good amount of home schooled kids in one area, it would be difficult for this to occur. That is understandable in the Amish community - I wonder if it is a similar group in the Northwest or perhaps it is a community where home schooling is the vogue.

Is there some sane reason why girls need to be vaccinated against the virus, if they're not going to be engaged in any form of sexual activity? Do they need this vaccine in order to study Latin, History, Algebra or Chemistry?

Well, since this particular portion of the discussion was about pertussis, I'd say yes, it being difficult to speak Latin while coughing spasmodically or while dead.
0 Replies