NRA trains members to attack enemies without mercy

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 06:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Thats not my point, never ws. My point was that cj has another thread about Scary Black Weapons--all semis of course. Yet I asked him for the names of the weapons shown and hes ignored me . I wanted to see whether there was not a conversion kit and a 30 shot clip available for each of these guns. In most cases, if theyre gas or recoil operated, theres a kit to turn them into full autos.

Even if there was a conversion kit for it, that would have little to do with hunters who used an assault rifle for varmint hunting without ever converting it to full auto.

farmerman wrote:
The NRA, in its mindless zeal to promote any kind of gun, expresses its true belief in the valuelessness of our kids lives by standing in the way of any legislature that attempts to address gun crime.

The NRA only stands in the way of measures that threaten our Constitutional rights.

The NRA backs those gun control measures that help fight crime without violating rights.

farmerman wrote:
They make it a Constitutional issue (but screw the lives of people lost as collateral victims)

It is a Constitutional issue.

It is unlikely that the presence of guns results in much loss of life. Murderers would kill even without guns.

farmerman wrote:
and they say that they really feel that semis that look like assault autos (and which can be converted to autos) are "hunting" weapons. Thats utter bullshit.

No, the AR-15 is a good varmint rifle.

farmerman wrote:
3The NRA is even against the BRady Bill, which although imperfect, is held up in derision, as if to say, "See heres a Bill that doesnt do anything to stop the flow of illegal guns" The NRA has been consistantly against any legislation that attempts to put some sanity into our cultural obsession with guns .

The NRA is against the Brady Bill's waiting period if the background check doesn't go through right away.

They support INSTANT background checks, so long as no record is kept of the background check.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If the assault weapons are so like the others , why not just buy the others, and not make some lame excuses that we gotta have more assault weapons.

Because people have the right to buy an assault weapon if they choose.

farmerman wrote:
but I see no reason for owning guns that can easily be made into fully automatic weapons if Im a hunter .

The definition of assault weapon is entirely related to cosmetics and does not consider at all how easy it is to convert to full auto.

It is wrong to characterize people who oppose assault weapons bans as favoring guns that are easy to convert to full auto.

Further, people who buy guns like AR-15s for varmint hunting do not intend to convert their gun to full-auto, and are in fact legitimately using the gun for hunting. The fact that a conversion kit exists for the gun has no bearing on the legitimacy of their personal use for it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:20 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ive been consistent. What a gun looks like is silly. The guns "assaultness" to me, is whether it can be made full auto and outfitted with larger clips. Guns that can be so modified should be banned.

That would ban every semi-auto that takes clips.

Any gun that takes clips, can take a clip of any size. All people gotta do is make the clip.

And probably any semi-auto on the planet could have someone cleaver make a conversion kit for it.

farmerman wrote:
Ive not deviated from this point and nobody not inclined so has been preaching about how a gun "looks" as the important point . Thats not logical IMHO.

It may not be logical. But it is in fact the basis of existing assault weapons bans.

The fact that you personally have a more logical notion does not mean it is fair to portray people who oppose assault weapons bans as opposing your version of what such a ban would look like.

That said, there are problems with your version of such a ban. It would seem to cover any semi-auto that takes clips.

farmerman wrote:
If making a gun look more lethal by imitating a full auto look, is your only point, its another example of how youve bought into marketing by gun mfrs. The hunting public didnt start clamoring for M-1 Garands or M-16/s or Techs for deer.

I doubt many informed people clamor for Tech-9s. They tend to jam every other shot.

No one is clamoring for AR-15s for deer. However, varmint hunters and people interested in self-defense tend to clamor for them.

Why wouldn't the M-1 Garand be a good deer rifle?

farmerman wrote:
These imitated guns were first producedby the companies, then the nimrods began owning them and discovered how easy a conversion can be accomplished.

The M1 Garand doesn't take detachable clips. Not a likely conversion to full-auto.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:23 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I think this is the big boy on the block. This beauty from Holland and Holland will fire a .700 Nitro Express... and make a 30.06 look like a bb gun.

Just why, apart from taking down aircraft, would you need one?

Are you seriously suggesting that this weapon would be of any use in taking down an aircraft?

If it were used, it would probably be used on elephants and cape buffalo.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:31 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:
I think it was cj who asked me how we can defend ourself with a gun we cant own....

well gun ownership in the uk is not illegal. Its just much more tightly regulated than in the US. Most people do not have guns at home, and most people want nothing to do with them. However quite a few people have shot guns which have of course to be licensed and securely contained at home. (My father in law gave his gun away when he had to build a safe for it).

Three shot shotguns (less than ideal for defense, and note that the chamber of a pump gun counts as one of the three shots), and with a long barrel (also less than ideal for defense).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:43 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:
You know I really do find the attitude towards guns in the US strange. Ok years ago America was a largely rural country and the right to bear arms came from the fact there as no standing army.

Not at all. The right was created in the UK. The protestants had just overthrown a catholic king who had been disarming the (mostly protestant) militia and relying on a standing army instead. They wanted to ensure that future Protestants would not be disarmed by future kings, so they created the right.

In America, there was not so much tension between Catholics and Protestants, but there was a definite preference for the militia over a standing army. They set the Second Amendment in stone because they didn't want the federal government to disarm the militia and raise a standing army in its place like that English king did, not because there was no possibility of raising a standing army.

Steve 41oo wrote:
But somehow it seems that constitutional right has been exploited by vested interests for private profit, to the detriment of society at large.

Nope. No exploitation and no detriment. Just freedom.

Steve 41oo wrote:
However you've had plenty of opportunity to change things and have not.

We will never give up our freedom.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:48 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:
well thats how it seems to me. The more guns in circulation the more they are fired the more accidents and violent crime.

More accidents, maybe. But cars cause even more accidents yet. Maybe we should ban cars.

More violent crime? Nonsense.

Steve 41oo wrote:
What are you supposed to do with a gun, just polish it?

You are supposed to shoot it.

Steve 41oo wrote:
And the really bad guys, knowing the householder may be armed, is more likely to carry a bigger gun and use it first.

Not necessarily.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:03 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Is it your position, then, that Howitzers fall within the scope of the right to bear arms? The Supreme Court's test in Miller would seem to imply it, since Howitzers, unlike sawed-off shotguns, do bear "some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia".

The second amendment protects the right of individuals to keep and bear arms. So the interpretation of the amendment must be consistent with that fact. At the time of the drafting of the bill of rights, individuals did not possess artillery (and, let's hope, they still don't).

Black powder artillery of the sort used in the Revolutionary War through the Civil War is in fact owned by many individuals today. I doubt there is much civilian ownership of modern artillery though.

I'm not offering that trivia as backing for a Second Amendment interpretation -- just as trivia. The part below however has bearing on Constitutional interpretation.

joefromchicago wrote:
The drafters of the second amendment, therefore, did not intend for the amendment to protect the right of individuals to possess howitzers, and subsequent judicial opinions and federal gun laws confirm that interpretation of the amendment.

The first militia laws of the nation seemed to draw a line as to whether a weapon system was used by an individual verses a crew when employed in battle.

The artillery of the period was operated by a crew, and militia artillerymen were not required to purchase their own artillery.

However, both infantry and cavalry operated their own individual weapons, and militiamen of either sort were required to supply their own equipment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that the Illinois anti-gun nazis are afraid of militias. Michigan, after all, has one.

You have a breath-taking ability to display blind stupidity. Presserj v. Illinois came before the court in 1886, and so it bears no relation to the gun control measures of this or the last century. Futhermore, Presser sued Illinios because the state regulated the militia, not because Illinois prohibited the militia.

Yeah, we all know about the Michigan militia. It would be priceless to see them in action, to see how fast they'd throw down their guns and run for it.

Which Michigan Militia are we talking about?

http://www.michigan.gov/dmva/0,1607,7-126-36614---,00.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:09 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
And that's not the end of it. It seems to me that the same reasoning would plausibly extend to machine guns, bazookas, hand grenades, and a long list of other equipment: Equipment small enough that people would frequently operate it individually in a war, but so far out even the NRA doesn't say they should be legal. And that's a pretty tough standard of far-out-ness.

The NRA are moderates. They are not even remotely "far out".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:15 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Are you suggesting that howitzers did not exist at the time of the drafting of the second amendment?

Actually I had mentally moved on to bazookas, hand grenades, and machine guns. How about them?

Militia men were expected to show up with their rifles or muskets. Bazookas and machine guns, therefore, would not be "militia-weapon-like" enough to warrant protection under the second amendment. Hand grenades existed at the time of the adoption of the second amendment: if the drafters wanted to include hand grenades as "arms," they could have specified them.

Since the first militia laws seemed to require militiamen to purchase any individual equipment, it would seem that militiamen today would also have the right to have any individual equipment. I think that would include lighter machine guns, disposable (single use) bazookas, and hand grenades, though I didn't go look up exactly what was and was not crew-served to know for sure.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:41 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Google is an amazing thing..

Yes. However, the fact that a freedom hater organization prints lies on the internet doesn't make those lies any truer.

Quote:
Q: What is the difference between semi-automatic hunting rifles and semi-automatic assault weapons?

A: Sporting rifles and assault weapons are two distinct classes of firearms.

That's a lie. Cosmetic features like pistol grips do not cause a gun to be in a different class of gun.

Quote:
While semi-automatic hunting rifles are designed to be fired from the shoulder and depend upon the accuracy of a precisely aimed projectile, semi-automatic assault weapons are designed to maximize lethal effects through a rapid rate of fire.

That's another lie. Both sorts of guns are designed to be fired from the shoulder, and both fire at the same rate.

Quote:
Assault weapons are designed to be spray-fired from the hip,

Another lie. They are designed to be fired from the shoulder.

Quote:
and because of their design, a shooter can maintain control of the weapon even while firing many rounds in rapid succession.

Another lie. Assault weapons are just as controllable in rapid fire as non-assault weapons.

Quote:
Opponents of the ban argue that such weapons only "look scary." However, because they were designed for military purposes, assault weapons are equipped with combat hardware, such as silencers, folding stocks and bayonets, which are not found on sporting guns.

More lies. I've never seen an assault weapon come equipped with a silencer. And silencers work just as well with non-assault weapons.

Folding stocks and bayonets fall under "scary looking cosmetics".

Quote:
Assault weapons are also designed for rapid-fire

Another lie. No more so than any other semi-auto.

Quote:
and many come equipped with large ammunition magazines allowing 50 more bullets to be fired without reloading.

That's a half truth. Do half-truths count as lies?

Any gun that accepts detachable magazines could have such a large clip made for it.

Quote:
So there is a good reason why these features on high-powered weapons should frighten the public.

Another lie. There is no reason for cosmetic features to scare the public.

Quote:
Assault weapons are commonly equipped with some or all of the following combat features:

* A large-capacity ammunition magazine, enabling the shooter to continuously fire dozens of rounds without reloading. Standard hunting rifles are usually equipped with no more than 3 or 4-shot magazines.

A half-truth previously denounced.

Quote:
* A folding stock on a rifle or shotgun, which sacrifices accuracy for concealability and for mobility in close combat.

Cosmetic.

Quote:
* A pistol grip on a rifle or shotgun, which facilitates firing from the hip, allowing the shooter to spray-fire the weapon. A pistol grip also helps the shooter stabilize the firearm during rapid fire and makes it easier to shoot assault rifles one-handed.

All lies. Pistol grips do not facilitate firing from the hip. Nor does anyone fire from the hip.

Pistol grips do not help stabilize the guns during rapid fire.

They also do not make it easier to shoot one-handed (which is not terribly practical with or without a pistol grip).

Cosmetic.

Quote:
* A barrel shroud, which is designed to cool the barrel so the firearm can shoot many rounds in rapid succession without overheating. It also allows the shooter to grasp the barrel area to stabilize the weapon, without incurring serious burns, during rapid fire.

Help cool the barrel? Just being exposed to the air would do that.

Cosmetic.

Quote:
* A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, which serves no useful sporting purpose. The flash suppressor allows the shooter to remain concealed when shooting at night, an advantage in combat but unnecessary for hunting or sporting purposes. In addition, the flash suppressor is useful for providing stability during rapid fire, helping the shooter maintain control of the firearm.

Cosmetic.

Quote:
* A threaded barrel designed to accommodate a silencer, which is useful to assassins but clearly has no purpose for sportsmen. Silencers are illegal so there is no legitimate purpose for making it possible to put a silencer on a weapon.

Another lie. As the point above notes, the threaded barrel is for flash suppressors.

And who says silencers are illegal? They may be illegal in some places, but plenty of jurisdictions do in fact allow them.

Quote:
* A barrel mount designed to accommodate a bayonet, which obviously serves no sporting purpose.

Cosmetic.

Quote:
You could also look at the law itself to get the definitions.

The law itself would also show that it only bans cosmetic features.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:43 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
The question remains: How do you reasonably define "Assault Rifle"?

Let's start with the definition in the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. (It has since been repealed.) You tell me what's unreasonable about it.
    (30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means-- `(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as-- `(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); `(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; `(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); `(iv) Colt AR-15; `(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; `(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; `(vii) Steyr AUG; `(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and `(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; `(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of-- `(i) a folding or telescoping stock; `(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; `(iii) a bayonet mount; `(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and `(v) a grenade launcher; `(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of-- `(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; `(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; `(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; `(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and `(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and `(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of-- `(i) a folding or telescoping stock; `(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; `(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and `(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

Some formating lost -- sorry.

What is unreasonable is that it refers to cosmetic features that have no reason to be banned.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:49 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Parados; your list amounts to accessories that fit hunting rifles and 'assault rifle's' alike.
Your hunting rifle has a screw end on its barrel for a silencer? Your hunting rifle has a folding stock? Your hunting rifle has a protruding pistol grip? Your hunting rifle has a bayonet attachment? Please inform us what the make and model of your "hunting" rifle is.

How about an AR-15. That is a hunting rifle that can have a folding stock, a pistol grip, a screw on the end, and a bayonet attachment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:53 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Folding stocks allow you to hide large rifles under your jacket. Illegal for the same reason as sawed-offs.

Not illegal. And the issue of concealment can be dealt with by requiring that the gun be at least 26 inches long even with the stock folded. That's the same length requirement for rifles that don't have a folding stock, and it is what California required back in the days when they allowed folding stocks.

I am unsure what the problem with concealing a large gun is in the first place however.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:54 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Thanks for the video Bill.

It really doesn't prove much of anything. I wouldn't say a dune buggy is a camero just because I can take the engine out of the camero and put it in a dune buggy. Nor does it make a dune buggy street legal because it has the same engine.

Just because an assualt rifle shares some of the same parts as a hunting rifle doesn't change what makes them different.

The only difference is cosmetic.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:11 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
The differences between your average deer rifle and an assault rifle are not merely cosmetic in nature. They affect the way the weapon handles and can be used.

Nope. The differences are cosmetic.

parados wrote:
An assualt rifle is designed to be controlled while fired on full automatic

How come it is no more controllable on full auto than a non-assault weapon is on full auto?

parados wrote:
or controlled when fired from positions other than the shoulder.

Balderdash.

parados wrote:
This information was on the first site I gave in answering the "reasonable" definition question.

Yes, but the problem was, you were quoting liars, and everything you quoted was a lie.

parados wrote:
Just changing a deer rifle to fully automatic will not give it the same effectiveness as a fully automatic assualt rifle.

Yes it will. (Presuming you keep the caliber the same in both rifles of course.)

parados wrote:
When a weapon is fired it recoils. An assault rifle is designed to reduce this recoil and allow the user better control to keep the barrel pointed at the target.

Hunting rifles are designed to do that as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:15 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
That video was not converting a hunting rifle to an assault rifle. It was taking parts from a hunting rifle and putting them in an assault rifle.
There was no conversion because the parts were pretty substantial.

All the parts changes were cosmetic.

parados wrote:
I could make a video that shows me taking the steering wheel from a camero, removing all the parts but the steering wheel and then bringing in parts to put around that steering wheel to create an 18 wheeler. It doesn't make a camero essentially the same thing as an 18 wheeler. It only shows they have some of the same parts. Its nothing more than a simple magician's trick using misdirection.

Not a good comparison given that you are talking about only cosmetic changes to the gun.

parados wrote:
Baldi, The M16 is an assault rifle. "Assault" rifle has little or nothing to do with the mode of fire. It has components that make it one.

Cosmetic components.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
or why anyone needs ammunition which will penetrate a police officer's kevlar vest.

To protect against criminals who wear Kevlar.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:21 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Setanta wrote:
or why anyone needs ammunition which will penetrate a police officer's kevlar vest.

To protect against criminals who wear Kevlar.

You don't need protection from criminals who wear Kevlar.

Cycloptichorn