History/Origin of Chess

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 06:15 pm
In my meaning there is a general misunderstanding of the origins of Chess. Being a Persian myself, I believe that chess (Shatrange) was developed by Persians although there is a general assumption that it derives from India.

The strange thing to me is that there is no reference to chess in India in any literature. In Persia however, there are many poems describing the game of chess. There very first mentioning of chess can be found in a Persian poem. (Although this poem evidently describes the game being played in India)

For more:
http://www.chess-poster.com/english/chesmayne/history_of_chess.htm

Even if the Persian might not have invented the game, it is my belive that they certainly did develope it to the genius game it is today.

Any further thoughts on the history/origins of chess would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,764 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 06:20 pm
Well, I always thought I was the one to perfect it. :-)

I love chess, and have often read of the history and wondered what the real story was.

But heck, you'll often find cultures disagreeing on this. Just watch a Brazilian and an American discuss who invented the airplane. :-)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 06:33 pm
Bookmarking.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:20 pm
I'll look at that, but can anyone explain how and why the pieces MOVE the way they do!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 11:29 pm
There is an interesting site by a group of historians on this theme:

Group Königstein
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 03:09 am
This whole topic got me thinking, why don't one day we play some chess??
It would be great. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Mamahani

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 04:58 am
Nah, I'd just loose Very Happy
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 01:19 pm
Nah, I doubt it, I don't know for the others but I'm not so good, I'm an average player, but I rarely make mistakes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 01:37 pm
I'm pretty good, but there have to be strict time limits. I am an impatient player and never take more than 10 seconds to move.

I've yet to lose an online game, so I quit playing online and generally only play computers. They are fast and pretty good.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 02:02 pm
A chess master once gave me a valuable piece of play advice:

Before moving a piece, stop and think; try to remember why you put it there in the first place." Shocked Laughing Shocked
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 05:46 pm
I'm not bad, I haven't played in awhile.

I'm a bit defensive and tend to get myself constricted.

I was one of those people who know how the pieces moved(I still wonder why they move the way they do.), but needed to understand how to move the pieces.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:20 pm
I love blocking & i would really like to play a match with any of you guys.

Craven, I take about 10-15 seconds to move a piece, & always play 15 minute matches, I have lost many online matches, however I have also won alot of them(positive record, anyway), so if anybody is up for a game, tell where & when! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 03:45 pm
One of these days we'll play a game on yahoo or some place. I am a very offensive player. No regard whatsoever to defense. I can be beat by a counterattack.

I am especially fond of leaving my queen out to dry and I play horribly without her.

So catch me in a mistake and I'd gone.

But I have played thousands of games online and have not lost any (many stalemates) so don't expect it to be easy. :-)
BTW, I'm gonna code my own chess game so we can play right her on able2know, or on one of my other sites.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:07 pm
Great, btw I play at pogo.com.

So I'll wait til you tell when & where.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:11 pm
Be forewarned, Dux.....Craven beat my genius son and I in about thirteen seconds.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:15 pm
He can't beat somebody in about 13 seconds, besides I last in every match bout 3.5 minutes least, & if I loose, there is always the chance of a challenge in Backgammon :wink:
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:17 pm
lol.....I thought I knew how to play chess.....and yes, he did beat us in thirteen seconds! Don't doubt it! :wink:
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:19 pm
Guess I'm gonna have to see it to believe, btw, wanna play a chess match Rae?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:21 pm
Wouldn't mind at all.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:22 pm
So when & where?
0 Replies