Republican donor charged with financing,supporting terrorism

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:45 am
Quote:
GOP donor hit with terror charges

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer
Tue Feb 20, 8:43 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A New York man accused of trying to help terrorists in Afghanistan has donated some $15,000 to the House Republicans' campaign committee over three years.

Abdul Tawala Ibn Ali Alishtari pleaded not guilty Friday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan to charges that include terrorism financing, material support of terrorism and money laundering.

From April 2002 until August 2004, the man also known as "Michael Mixon" gave donations ranging from $500 to $5,000 to the National Republican Congressional Committee, according to Federal Election Commission reports and two campaign donor tracking Web sites, http://www.politicalmoneyline.com and http://www.opensecrets.org.

Jessica Boulanger, a spokeswoman for the NRCC, said if Alishtari is found guilty, the organization would donate the money to charity.

"We are extremely concerned and disturbed by these charges, but we need to be careful not to rush to judgment as the judicial process moves forward," Boulanger said.

In the federal indictment, the government said Alishtari, 53, of Ardsley, N.Y., also known as Mixon accepted an unspecified amount of money to transfer $152,000 to Pakistan and Afghanistan to support an Afghanistan terrorist training camp. He also stands accused of causing the transfer of about $25,000 from a bank account in New York to an account in Montreal, money the government says was to be used to provide material support to terrorists.

Also, the indictment says, Alishtari schemed to defraud investors by obtaining millions of dollars in a loan investment scheme that he called the "Flat Electronic Data Interchange" and that promised high guaranteed rates of return.

The charges carry a potential penalty of 95 years in prison.

Alishtari was detained pending a court appearance this week. Prosecutors said he was a danger to the community and a flight risk. [..]

A resume listed in his name and posted on an MSN group Web site on Jan. 8, 2007, identifies him as being an "industrialist and philanthropist" and references previous connections to the Republican Party.

The resume says that in 2003 Alishtari was named a National Republican Senatorial Committee "Inner Circle Member for Life" and was appointed to the NRCC's "White House Business Advisory Committee." The resume also says Alishtari was named the NRCC's New York state businessman of the year in 2002 and 2003.

The 2007 resume identifies him as the founder of IDPixie LLC, which is described as an "ID theft protection agency."

Cant you just imagine the response from A2K's conservatives if this had been a Democratic donor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,183 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:52 am
Get him into protection and ring him out for intellegence, Turn him inside out. Connect the web and build a trial.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:27 am
What is the big deal? I'm sure there are pedophiles who donate to the democratic party (and the republican party). I assume there are probably spouse beaters who contribute to both parties. It's not like either party does background checks and criminal checks on everyone who donates.

So I think this is a non-issue and anyone who thinks it is a big deal is an idiot. And that would include any republican a2k'er who would think it a big deal if it were the democrat party this guy had contributed to.

Just one conservative republican's opinion, but it sure shoots a hole in the point you intended to make about us, don't it?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:02 am
At least this guy gets to answer and defend himself against these charges which is more than most accused of being a terrorist.

CHALLENGES 2006-2007:
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:17 am
Revel, I would ask a simple question. Who is responsible for the negative view of Muslims that according to your article is held by so many in the west? I would submit the responsibility lies with Muslims themselves. Most of the senseless acts of violence we read about are committed by muslim extremists, yet there is no widespread condemnation of these acts by the muslim community. Why are there not hundreds or thousands of muslin leaders condemning these acts? I know some have condemned these terrorist acts, but their voices are few and far between.

If Muslims wish to change the west's views on them and their religion, then I think the onus is on them to begin speaking out en masse against those who use violence against innocent victims in the name of Islam. Unless of course, they see that violence as perfectly acceptable according to the Koran. In which case, isn't the west's view of Muslims justified?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:21 am
I have to agree with Coastal Rat. There are blackguards and knaves in every walk of life. If I were really paranoid, and there were a LOT of money involved, I would start thinking, "conspiracy".

Fifteen thousand dollars? Unless thousands of people who are terrorist wannabees are contributing to the Republican Party, I think that the only conclusion that one can draw is that a single person, allied with the terrorist ideology, sent a contribution.

There is enough mudslinging in the political arena. Let us not here, on A2K, stoop to that level.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:25 am
Quote:
Most of the senseless acts of violence we read about are committed by muslim extremists, yet there is no widespread condemnation of these acts by the muslim community. Why are there not hundreds or thousands of muslin leaders condemning these acts? I know some have condemned these terrorist acts, but their voices are few and far between.

Coastal Rat- From the little that I know about the extremists, I DO know that some of them are extremely violent. Is it not possible that the Muslim moderates are afraid for their own butts? I don't think that is an excuse, but it may be an explanation.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:25 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Revel, I would ask a simple question. Who is responsible for the negative view of Muslims that according to your article is held by so many in the west? I would submit the responsibility lies with Muslims themselves. Most of the senseless acts of violence we read about are committed by muslim extremists, yet there is no widespread condemnation of these acts by the muslim community. Why are there not hundreds or thousands of muslin leaders condemning these acts?

My question for you, CR, is would you know it if they did?

As to the story, I think it will be fun fodder for the Democrats but that's about it.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:39 am
Freeduck, to answer your question, I would only know it if indeed it were reported. The fact that little condemnation by Muslim leaders is reported leads me to believe either there is little of it being spoken or the press is choosing not to report it, which might lead one to think the press is pro-terrorism. I tend to discount that notion, which leads me to think there are very few Muslim leaders condemning the actions of their fellow Muslims.

And it could well be that they fear for their lives if they do speak out. Which in my opinion says a whole lot about their faith.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:40 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Revel, I would ask a simple question. Who is responsible for the negative view of Muslims that according to your article is held by so many in the west? I would submit the responsibility lies with Muslims themselves. Most of the senseless acts of violence we read about are committed by muslim extremists, yet there is no widespread condemnation of these acts by the muslim community. Why are there not hundreds or thousands of muslin leaders condemning these acts? I know some have condemned these terrorist acts, but their voices are few and far between.

If Muslims wish to change the west's views on them and their religion, then I think the onus is on them to begin speaking out en masse against those who use violence against innocent victims in the name of Islam. Unless of course, they see that violence as perfectly acceptable according to the Koran. In which case, isn't the west's view of Muslims justified?

There is violence committed by everyone in every walk of life, Muslims just happen to be focal point right now because of the middle east conflict (which spreads all over for all Muslims/Arabs) and for americans-9/11. What you see as senseless acts of violence they might see as simple pay back. Also, most of the moderate Muslims don't condone acts of violence against civilians but understand the reasoning and to public ally come out against those acts would be putting them on the side they feel is keeping their people down. (I would imagine) Lastly, I believe a lot of them did speak out against what happened on 9/11, but the way they were treated directly afterward started to make them feel like the enemy. (Again, I would imagine)

My point is simply this, however you feel about Muslims/Arabs; it is your right to feel that way. But when it comes to due process in the law to me that is an entirely different ball of wax. They did not deserve to be rounded up like cattle without charge for months or even years without a way to defend themselves against the charges. They do not deserved to be tortured or humiliated by our country in our prisons again without charge or without a way to defend themselves. Now even a court has condoned this horrible travesty. It is still happening today and it is a shame against our country and all it is supposed to stand for.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:59 am
Revel, I agree that Muslims, as an entire group, got a bad rap particularly after 9/11. But for many years the west has been conditioned to see them a violent terrorists because every time we turn around, we read of muslims killing innocent people. Just as for a while everytime we turned around, we read about a Catholic priest molesting some child, and many now have a very low opinion of the priesthood as a whole. Particularly since there was very little condemnation of these priests. It is the same thing with Muslims. I don't care one whit why someone feels they need to blow up a bus full of people or fly an airplane into a building. Common sense says that is wrong, no matter what the reasons. And until Muslims begin condemning such acts wholesale, I take a dim view of their religious faith. And yes, many will treat the average Muslim with a bit of disdain. That is human nature, right or wrong.

But as to the point of this thread, I think the whole thing is a non-issue. And with that I will take my leave.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:02 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Freeduck, to answer your question, I would only know it if indeed it were reported. The fact that little condemnation by Muslim leaders is reported leads me to believe either there is little of it being spoken or the press is choosing not to report it, which might lead one to think the press is pro-terrorism. I tend to discount that notion, which leads me to think there are very few Muslim leaders condemning the actions of their fellow Muslims.

And it could well be that they fear for their lives if they do speak out. Which in my opinion says a whole lot about their faith.

Ok, just one more question. Have you ever googled "muslims condemn terrorism"?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:48 am
Gosh, I knew I just couldn't leave well enough alone.

No, Freeduck, I have not. And, in talking about the "west's view of Muslims" I would seriously doubt if many others have either. Most people get their news from major media outlets. I would guess that if I were to google that, I would find some articles from major outlets while a majority would be from outlets that the average westerner does not have access to. When talking about how a majority of people view Muslims, it is good to remember where a majority of people get their info.

I know that there have been some Muslims willing to condemn their fellow Muslims for their terrorist actions, because I have read some articles stating that, but the problem is that it is not widespread enough to affect the view of the average westerner.

But just for fun, I just googled "muslims condemn terrorism". At first glance, not one of the articles on the first page is from a major news outlet. So if Muslims are overwhelmingly condemning terrorist actions by their fellow Muslims, then they are doing a poor job of it. But I will happily read through some of what I googled, and it may well be that the major news outlets are not getting the info out that Muslims are outraged about Muslim terrorist actions.

In any case, until their objections are constant and get louder, most of the west will continue to look with suspicion at all Muslims. I don't think it is right, it is just what is.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 10:10 am
Re: Republican donor charged with financing,supporting terro
nimh wrote:
Cant you just imagine the response from A2K's conservatives if this had been a Democratic donor?

You don't really think there plenty of those? I imagine such people are equal opportunity donors, much like some business interests. Its protection money. And hedges their bets.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 10:17 am
Re: Republican donor charged with financing,supporting terro

It makes sense. Republicans love terrorism. How else would any of the stupid f*cks ever get elected?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 10:23 am
CR, I will agree that it is what it is. But that's as far as I am willing to go.

It is one thing to say that most Americans get their information from major news outlets, it is another to presume that that is enough and that the onus is on muslims to get their views heard in American media. I say the onus is on us to educate ourselves and seek out information before presuming that muslims -- of whom there are millions -- condone or do not reject terrorism. Or worse, requiring a constant chorus of rejection be repeatedly scrolled on the cnn newswire before we can accept it.

Yes, we are what we are, it is what it is.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 10:31 am
FreeDuck, I think we agree that Americans should indeed educate themselves. And in a perfect world, everyone would be as educated as you and I and be able to see that the Muslims who are causing the problems are a relatively small number when compared to total Muslim population.

But alas, this is not a perfect world and most people are too lazy to educate themselves to the extent some of us on A2K do. I think we would both be in agreement there also.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:36 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Just one conservative republican's opinion, but it sure shoots a hole in the point you intended to make about us, don't it?

Nah, hardly.

I mean, kudos for being reasonable about it, but seriously: how do you think the conservatives on a2k here would respond, overall, to a story like this about a terrorist financier having donated to the Democrats?

Not to mention if the guy was purportedly a National Democratic Senatorial Committee "Inner Circle Member for Life", a member of the NDCC's "White House Business Advisory Committee" and the NDCC's New York state businessman of the year?

Seriously, how do you think Baldimo or Okie or Mysteryman or McGentrix or blabla et cetera would roll with that?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:50 am
CoastalRat wrote:
[..] there is no widespread condemnation of these acts by the muslim community. [..]

If Muslims wish to change the west's views on them and their religion, then I think the onus is on them to begin speaking out en masse against those who use violence against innocent victims in the name of Islam.

CoastalRat wrote:
The fact that little condemnation by Muslim leaders is reported leads me to believe either there is little of it being spoken or the press is choosing not to report it, which might lead one to think the press is pro-terrorism. I tend to discount that notion, which leads me to think there are very few Muslim leaders condemning the actions of their fellow Muslims.

This is such a hoary old chestnut.

Yes, Muslims have spoken out en masse against the terrorism of extremists.

No, it has not been reported widely by the mainstream media, certainly not as widely as the terrorist acts themselves were.

Why? Because the newspapers are "pro-terrorism"? (Huh?) No, obviously.

Partly because it is good business sense for a medium to not go against their viewers/readers preconceptions too much. This may sound cynical, but stories about violent Muslims sell better than stories about peaceful ones.

But skip that argument, because I dont think you will buy it anyway. The major reason why pious condemnations of violence get little airtime, and airtime is therefore dominated by news of Muslim terror and violence, is that violence always sells better than peace. No matter who does it.

Things going wrong, murder rape and devastation, is NEWS; people doing or saying nice things rarely make the headlines. No matter what their religion.

The hoary old chestnut here is that "there was no outrage". That "Muslims have hardly spoken out". That there "havent been any fatwas against bin Laden". That its the Muslims own fault people think badly of them, because "they havent been condemning the terrorism". Et cetera, in ever new wordings.

It is simply, pardon my French, bullshit.

Ive given up on posting evidence of the opposite every time someone comes up with this, but just for one reprise - this is what I found, once, basically within ten minutes of Googling, back when someone came up with this stuff for the first time - I compiled it all neatly for Steve the other day.

----------------------------

Steve 41oo wrote:
What are these extremists doing within Islam if its a religion of peace and tolerance? Why are they not driven out, told they are not following the will of the Prophet...that they are positively un-Islamic

OK, because I'm an incorrigable nerd, I took at least the 5 minutes for a search for any post by myself with the word "fatwa" in it.

That alone netted me this post - which I wrote in a conversation with you, in fact, Steve.

nimh wrote:
"Jihad", what is usually translated as "holy war", does not actually have the equation with calling people to murderously immolate themselves and others, however. Of course there are extremist preachers who do make it about that - but then you're back exactly to my statement that it's not "the muslims" that pose the danger, but specific extremist groups among them. In "mainstream" Islam, as in mainstream Hinduism etc, the concept of religious murder as a shortcut to heaven is not accepted, or not accepted anymore. That's how there came to be a bunch of fatwas proclaimed by mainstream clergy against those who did do the exact thing you're talking about - suicide bombers of the London type (here's some examples and here's another one).

Now if you followed those links at time, you found these things below as well. And mind you, all the below itself was just what I could find within 10 minutes with Google.

So what, then - after all that, for one - is this talk about how you never hear Muslim leaders speak the language of peace/tolerance/forgiveness, or how you're not hearing them tell these extremists that "they are not following the will of the Prophet...that they are positively un-Islamic"?

Lord Ellpus wrote:

nimh wrote:
Thank you Lord, thats one: UK Muslims issue bombings fatwa

Here's a bunch more:

Spanish Muslims issue Bin Ladin fatwa

Quote:
Sunday 13 March 2005

Spain's leading Islamic body has issued a religious order declaring Usama bin Ladin to have forsaken Islam by backing attacks such as the Madrid train bombings a year ago.

The Islamic Commission of Spain timed its fatwa on Friday to coincide with the first anniversary of the attacks
, which killed 191 people and were claimed in the name of al-Qaida in Europe. [..]

"We declare ... that Usama bin Ladin and his al-Qaida organisation, responsible for the horrendous crimes against innocent people who were despicably murdered in the 11 March terrorist attack in Madrid, are outside the parameters of Islam," the commission said.

RUSSIAN MUSLIM LEADER CALLS AFGHAN ULAMAS TO EXTRADITE BIN LADEN

Quote:
2001-09-20

The Afghan ulamas ought to have long ago expelled Osama bin Laden from the country, Talgat Tadjuddin, High Mufti of the Russian Muslims, said to newsmen.

A man who advises to kill cannot be God's counsellor, however much he may quote the Koran, and he will bring nothing but evil to the country which gives him shelter, stressed the Mufti as he called to "punish evil".

Prominent Muslim Cleric Denounces bin Laden

Quote:
Thursday, Oct. 18, 2001
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - A prominent Muslim cleric today denounced terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden and urged Afghanistan's Taliban rulers not to risk thousands of lives for him.

"Bin Laden is not a prophet that we should put thousands of lives at risk for," said Tahirul Qadri, who heads the Pakistani Awami Tehrik Party.

Qadri, who has thousands of followers in Pakistan and abroad, also criticized the Taliban for sheltering bin Laden and urged the Muslims to "see the difference between jihad and acts of terrorism."

[..] "Bombing embassies or destroying non-military installations like the World Trade Center is no jihad," Qadri said, and "those who launched the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks not only killed thousands of innocent people in the United States but also put the lives of millions of Muslims across the world at risk."

[..] the Taliban had no justification for continuing to protect bin Laden. Why protect him? Is he a saint or a prophet? He is a man who himself has admitted arranging car-bomb attacks on U.S. embassies. He is no saint."

A Top Sunni Cleric on the Use, and Misuse, of Islam

Quote:
Mohammed Sayed Tantawi, the grand imam of Egypt's al-Azhar mosque and the most widely respected and influential moral voice for Sunni Islam [..] scoffed when I read him the 1998 call to arms that bin Laden called his fatwa: "We . . . with God's help . . . call on every Muslim who believes in God and wishes to be rewarded to comply with God's order to kill Americans and plunder their money."

"Osama bin Laden is no specialist in religious affairs," the grand imam quipped, to the delight of the imams seated to his left. And then he added: "Islamic law banishes anyone who issues an untrue fatwa." About the references in the hijackers' documents that they were martyrs and would achieve paradise, Tantawi was equally contemptuous. "They are not martyrs but aggressors," he said. "They will not achieve paradise, but will receive severe punishment for their aggression." In Islam, he noted, there is an exact equivalent of Moses's commandant against killing. "Whoever shall kill a man or a believer without right," said the grand imam, "the punishment is hell forever. Allah will be angry with himand give him a great punishment." Especially ugly, Tantawi said, is the criminal who murders by surprise, "from the back," because "it is against morality and good honor."

Bin Laden Stirs Struggle on Meaning of Jihad

Quote:

Qaradawi Rejects Al-Qaeda's Killing of Innocents

Quote:
Prominent Muslim scholar Dr. Youssef Al-Qaradawi has condemned Al-Qaeda for their fuel tanker suicide bombing of a centuries-old Jewish synagogue on the Tunisian island of Djerba in April 2002.

[..] Dr. Al Qaradawi said that in Islam it is not permissible to attack places of worship such as churches and synagogues or attack men of religion, even in a state of war.

"Civilians, such as the German tourists, should not be killed, or kept as hostages. Jews, not in conflict with Muslims, must not be killed either. Anyone who commits these crimes is punishable by Islamic Sharia and have committed the sin of killing a soul which God has prohibited to kill and of spreading corruption on earth," said Dr. Al Qaradawi.

GRAND IMAM OF EGYPT DENOUNCES TERRORISM

Quote:
House of Representatives
October 31, 2001

Mr. [JOSEPH] PITTS [Republican of Pennsylvania]: [..]

Just a few days ago, the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, the highest and most respected Islamic authority in the world, who resides in Egypt, also made this clear. The Grand Imam said that the Koran specifically forbids the kinds of things the Taliban and al-Qaida are guilty of. He said the jihad Usama bin Laden has called for against America is invalid and not binding on Muslims. He said that "Islam rejects all of these acts." He called terrorism un-Islamic. In fact, he says, "Killing innocent civilians is a horrific, hideous act that no religion can approve." [..]

nimh wrote:
Want more? See this handy overview:

Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attacks

nimh wrote:
Last week I linked in a scope of fatwas and other Muslim clerical condemnations of terror.

Now, add another one. This is translated from the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. I´m sure (or perhaps I´m not...) that there is enough coverage in US media as well? [..]

Quote:
American Fatwa against Terrorism

WASHINGTON. 29 July. A council of 18 prestigious sunnite and shiite jurists and scientists from the US and Canada on Thursday night published an Islamic legal judgement (Fatwa), in which every form of terrorism and the use of violence against civilians is condemned. Muslim jurists and associations in Europe have recently published similar fatwas.

The fatwa, which was presented at a press conference in Washington by the President of the North-American islamic law council (Fiqh Council), Muzammil Siddiqi, and will be read out during the important Friday prayer in many mosques in North-America, amongst other things says: "Every act of terrorism that targets civilians is forbidden in Islam. It is forbidden to a Muslim to involve himself with or support persons or groups that commit terror attacks or acts of violence." Whoever attacks the life and property of civilians through suicide attacks or other forms of violence "is a criminal and not a martyr". Moreover, the Fatwa lays down that "it is the religious and civic duty of a Muslim to cooperate with the authorities to protect the lives of civilians".

The fatwa is supported by the main Muslim organisations in North-America. Furthermore, the Council of American-Islamic Relations [the same that has been vilified by American conservatives-nimh] has started a campaign with radio and TV messages under the title "Not in the name of Islam", in which it is confirmed that Islam forbids terrorism. Whoever commits such acts of violence in the name of Islam, betrays his religion, the messages state. [..]

This is what I mean. It's there. You've even been pointed it out before, here, apparently. So if you're still continuing saying anyway that you just "can't hear" Muslims saying these things, then, I'm sorry, but I must assume that that is indeed the problem - you cant hear it.

Sorry - I do realise I must sound terribly snotty when I say that. But mostly it's just fatigue. Time after time someone comes up with this "why dont ordinary Muslims speak up? Why dont mainstream Muslim leaders speak up?", and you know - you answer them that they do, you bring them examples, but it seems to just slide off the argument like water from a duck's back. And a year later they're saying it again, or someone new is - "Why dont they speak up?". Confused
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:22 pm
nimh wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

Nah, hardly.

I mean, kudos for being reasonable about it, but seriously: how do you think the conservatives on a2k here would respond, overall, to a story like this about a terrorist financier having donated to the Democrats?

Not to mention if the guy was purportedly a National Democratic Senatorial Committee "Inner Circle Member for Life", a member of the NDCC's "White House Business Advisory Committee" and the NDCC's New York state businessman of the year?

Seriously, how do you think Baldimo or Okie or Mysteryman or McGentrix or blabla et cetera would roll with that?

I'm sure some would be all over the liberals about it. But guessing games as to who might and who might not are not my cup of tea. Nor does it do any good to make statements that they would when in reality noboby knows until it should happen. But I think we can get some idea of whether a lot would make a big deal of it by looking at how few of the overly zealous democrats on A2K have jumped in to make a big deal of this. I choose to believe that most people here see this for exactly what it is, a non-issue, and it matters not whether we are republican or democrat.
0 Replies