Republican donor charged with financing,supporting terrorism

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:23 pm
Quote:
I choose to believe that most people here see this for exactly what it is, a non-issue, and it matters not whether we are republican or democrat.

Sorry, not a non-issue.

Republicans have gone bonkers apesh*t over the idea that Dems have had any ties to organizations which may have ties to terrorism. It has been part of their strategy to attack Dems for years. Now the tables are turned, and you can hardly expect people not to care.

Just another example of how hollow the Republican 'morality' of national security really is....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:29 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Revel, I agree that Muslims, as an entire group, got a bad rap particularly after 9/11. But for many years the west has been conditioned to see them a violent terrorists because every time we turn around, we read of muslims killing innocent people. Just as for a while everytime we turned around, we read about a Catholic priest molesting some child, and many now have a very low opinion of the priesthood as a whole. Particularly since there was very little condemnation of these priests. It is the same thing with Muslims. I don't care one whit why someone feels they need to blow up a bus full of people or fly an airplane into a building. Common sense says that is wrong, no matter what the reasons. And until Muslims begin condemning such acts wholesale, I take a dim view of their religious faith. And yes, many will treat the average Muslim with a bit of disdain. That is human nature, right or wrong.

But as to the point of this thread, I think the whole thing is a non-issue. And with that I will take my leave.

I appreciate that you are able to talk about this in reasonable manner.

However, you seem to miss my point, more than likely the fault lay with me. I'll try again.

People can come to whatever conclusion they want to regard to how they feel about people--whoever or whatever religion they are. Opinions are just those opinions. But when it comes to the due process of law or civil liberties it passes past mere opinions or prejudices against people into a more serious matter.

For instance a person can hate homosexuals all they want, they can feel that they are a bad influence on their children or whatever. But if they start denying homosexuals the right to live where they want or get married then in my judgment they have violated that persons basic civil rights.

People no matter who they are or where they come from should have the right to defend themselves against charges (or simply being held in prison.) This includes alleged terrorist who are in our custody today or any future ones, be they Muslims or Jews or Christians or just atheist. They should have basic rights to be treated in a humane manner without humiliation no matter the urgency for interrogation answers or what hangs in the balance. That's just the way I believe and why so much about what is said from the ultra right upsets me so.

As for the topic of the this thread, I think Nimh is right, if it was an important democratic donor, much would have made of it from the likes of McG or MM or any of those others.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:35 pm
nimh wrote:
This is such a hoary old chestnut.

Yes, Muslims have spoken out en masse against the terrorism of extremists.

No, it has not been reported widely by the mainstream media, certainly not as widely as the terrorist acts themselves were.

Why? Because the newspapers are "pro-terrorism"? (Huh?) No, obviously.

I did not say they were pro-terrorism. Even said I would discount that argument. I was simply trying to put forth what some could say.

nimh wrote:
Partly because it is good business sense for a medium to not go against their viewers/readers preconceptions too much. This may sound cynical, but stories about violent Muslims sell better than stories about peaceful ones.

But skip that argument, because I dont think you will buy it anyway. The major reason why pious condemnations of violence get little airtime, and airtime is therefore dominated by news of Muslim terror and violence, is that violence always sells better than peace. No matter who does it.

Things going wrong, murder rape and devastation, is NEWS; people doing or saying nice things rarely make the headlines. No matter what their religion.

I agree with both your points here. Violence sells so that gets the coverage. And I can agree that some papers will not print that which goes against the grain of their reader's opinions. No argument here from me.

Someone earlier posted a link to some article talking about how terribly the west views Muslims in general and how wrong that is. I was simply pointing out that through decades of violence and suicide bombings and such that the Muslim community cannot blame others for having this opinion. Changing the opinion of the masses would require the moderate Muslims to be vocal enough about the violence that people can easily see that the majority of Muslims have the same intolerance for it as non-Muslims. And since most people get their news from the major outlets, then until these outlets begin giving moderate Muslim voices their due, the message won't get out and people will continue to view all Muslims in the same light.

I hope this clarifies my earlier postings. I was responding simply to why it should not be surprising that a majority of people have a low regard for Muslims and their faith.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:45 pm
revel wrote:

I appreciate that you are able to talk about this in reasonable manner.

However, you seem to miss my point, more than likely the fault lay with me. I'll try again.

People can come to whatever conclusion they want to regard to how they feel about people--whoever or whatever religion they are. Opinions are just those opinions. But when it comes to the due process of law or civil liberties it passes past mere opinions or prejudices against people into a more serious matter.

For instance a person can hate homosexuals all they want, they can feel that they are a bad influence on their children or whatever. But if they start denying homosexuals the right to live where they want or get married then in my judgment they have violated that persons basic civil rights.

People no matter who they are or where they come from should have the right to defend themselves against charges (or simply being held in prison.) This includes alleged terrorist who are in our custody today or any future ones, be they Muslims or Jews or Christians or just atheist. They should have basic rights to be treated in a humane manner without humiliation no matter the urgency for interrogation answers or what hangs in the balance. That's just the way I believe and why so much about what is said from the ultra right upsets me so.

As for the topic of the this thread, I think Nimh is right, if it was an important democratic donor, much would have made of it from the likes of McG or MM or any of those others.

I always try to be reasonable Revel. Makes no sense to get in an uproar over differing opinions. I get rather sick of the backhanded name-calling which goes on here in order to avoid TOS violations. I'd much rather discuss things in a sensible manner.

I believe that everyone should indeed have a right to defend themselves. But I am also well aware that there will always be injustices. The innocent will at times be held while at times the guilty will be let go. The only thing I am torn about in our handling of terrorist suspects is the amount of time that they have been held without an opportunity to clear themselves (assuming of course that we are knowledgable about everything). I do believe we could have done a better job of this and could still do a better job of this.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Sorry, not a non-issue.

Republicans have gone bonkers apesh*t over the idea that Dems have had any ties to organizations which may have ties to terrorism. It has been part of their strategy to attack Dems for years. Now the tables are turned, and you can hardly expect people not to care.

Just another example of how hollow the Republican 'morality' of national security really is....

Cycloptichorn

But it should be Cy. And that is exactly my point. You say your side has every right to make a big deal about this because the other side would and has made a big deal about something similar. When will one group or the other grow up and stop trying to invent a problem where there really is none. Don't we have enough big issues in this country to deal with that we need not create issues.

As an aside, this has nothing to do with a democrat or republican having ties to some organization that has ties to terrorism. No republican had any ties to this gentleman. It was simply someone who donated money who happened to also donate to terrorist groups, at least that is how I understand it. I would reiterate that this situation is no different than finding out someone who donated money to a democratic organization was a pedophile. Would that mean that democrats supported pedophiles? Of course not. Same thing here. And I firmly believe that most everyone here on a2k, republican and democrat, knows that.

Now, if it can be shown that a republican had a tie to an organization that supported terrorism, then that is a different story. But that is the point. It is not a matter of a republican or the party in general having ties to an organization supporting terrorism, it is a matter of a man supporting the republican party who also donates money to terrorist organizations. I distinct difference and one that should be easy to see.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:59 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
And since most people get their news from the major outlets, then until these outlets begin giving moderate Muslim voices their due, the message won't get out and people will continue to view all Muslims in the same light.

This is certainly, and sadly, true.

Theres so many related issues, that are still somehow all close to the same thing.. for example, journalists and TV program makers are very busy people - and they have to be risk averse. So thats why you see the same talking heads over and over again on TV or in the columns, "expertising" or commenting - they're the ones in the editors' address book (or Blackberry). The editors know that these people make good TV, wont shock or confuse the viewers too much, etc. There's not many, if any, Muslims among them - not American Muslims, and definitely no foreign ones (come to think of it, there dont seem to be any voices from abroad on anyhow - same in Holland). They dont get through..

Why? Because it takes time and effort to make it through into the inner circle of the media / political / punditing incrowd. Being a politician or ex-politician, media type or ex-media type helps, and there's not many Muslims amongst those either.

Its a long way.. but the blacks have made it through (or made big strides, anyway), the others will, one day, follow, and hopefully it will have an impact on media coverage. Until then, a regional Muslim community activist can condemn terrorism all and as loudly as he wants, but chances that he'll make it beyond the local newspaper are scant.

Sorry, chalk the above passion up to professional deformation - this used to be the subject of my work..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:08 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
No republican had any ties to this gentleman. It was simply someone who donated money who happened to also donate to terrorist groups, at least that is how I understand it.

Unless (and I agree that this is a big if, since the man's trustworthiness doesnt seem, err, all too great), the man's resume was even just partially correct, and he was indeed a National Republican Senatorial Committee "Inner Circle Member for Life", a member of the NRCC's "White House Business Advisory Committee" and the NRCC's New York state businessman of the year - twice..

Either case, in my view, the problem is with the surreal grip that money's come to have on US politics, and the utter lack of scruples it has led the parties to engage when fundraising. If I had my way, there'd be publicly funded campaigns, both sides equal amount of money, no other financial support allowed. If people want to help, they can do retail politics, spread leaflets, canvass, like in the old days.

But thats probably a whole different separate topic.

CoastalRat wrote:
I would reiterate that this situation is no different than finding out someone who donated money to a democratic organization was a pedophile. Would that mean that democrats supported pedophiles? Of course not. Same thing here. And I firmly believe that most everyone here on a2k, republican and democrat, knows that.

Humph, call it a grudge but I doubt it.

I remember the lo-ong discussion about how Pelosi was supposedly tied to a pedophile group because there was a march in SF (gay rights, I think) that both she and them walked in... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:14 pm
Would you say that the Dems supported pedophiles in your example CR if they refused to give the money back?

Because, the NRCC has a real problem with giving money back, it seems... just ask 'em about Foley's money which they never gave back

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:25 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Would you say that the Dems supported pedophiles in your example CR if they refused to give the money back?

Because, the NRCC has a real problem with giving money back, it seems... just ask 'em about Foley's money which they never gave back

Cycloptichorn

I wouldn't Cy. But I will admit others probably would. As I said earlier, I'm sure there are all kinds of shady characters donating to both the republican party and the democratic party.

And I am sure that there are a number of people holding positions within the party hierchy that also have connections that, shall we say, are not what the parties would want to be associated with.

But of course, I'm just a clown. What do I know.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:29 pm
nimh wrote:

Either case, in my view, the problem is with the surreal grip that money's come to have on US politics, and the utter lack of scruples it has led the parties to engage when fundraising. If I had my way, there'd be publicly funded campaigns, both sides equal amount of money, no other financial support allowed. If people want to help, they can do retail politics, spread leaflets, canvass, like in the old days.

But thats probably a whole different separate topic.

I would happily back your way. But something tells me we won't see that happen any time soon.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 02:26 am
It is a natural for terrorists to contribute to GWB as he is their best recruiter.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:35 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2544497#2544497

Can this be related?
0 Replies