inability to burp

jamesorven

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 09:18 am
@caribou,
hey, your tip was very helpful.. i was in a panic state when I had this symptom for the first time.. I readying myself going to the nearest hospital, but opted to search the internet for some help, and there I read your suggestion, tried it and it worked!!! thanks man, you saved my day!
0 Replies

seekinganswr

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 10:31 pm
@Celts34,
I have been suffering from constant burping for last 4 months. But from last few days i have developed a difficulty in burping which is even a bigger torture. So i can understand how you feel. My problem is bloating, so i have to let the air out through burping, but now i have to force a burp which is really uncomfortable. The ring thing which is being mentioned here, i think i would like to have a similar procedure done. And i agree with the one who wrote this is the opposite of acid reflux as i am being given GERD medicines and after using these medicines my difficulty in burping has increased.
0 Replies

sunburst17

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:40 pm
I've had this for about 3 years now where I all of the sudden felt a lump in my throat while walking to school one morning I was 17 at the time. It caused me to gag, at uncontrollable times before I learned that if I suck in air and make myself burp I can be a little more in control of when and where it happens. (I had to learn how to burp I never could before) however the burp sounds like I'm throwing up very loud and disgusting. This shoots out a large amount of air and relieves the symptom for a short while until I eat again. It is rather embarrassing if someone hears me.

Anyhow I have been for a barium swallow, chest x-ray, scoped down throat and still haven't found a conclusion. It is usually flared up more in the morning. But happens after I eat. Definitely flares up when I am nervous.

I am now on anti depressants having found myself in a real melancholic state of mind from this occurrence very withdrawn from how I had used to be. But the anti depressants really changed me back to feeling like my old self. I take anti anxiety medication when I go out to socialize which is rare because I have become anti-social and don't get out much because of fear of embarrassment.

Nexium helped with my stomach feeling terrible each and every day in the first year, and I don't have to wake up feeling awful everyday. I don't take nexium anymore did not help with lump feeling. I was diagnosed with GERD but I never really have heartburn only the lump feeling.

I sometimes take Ratio - Domeperidone 10 mg before meals it seems to help sometimes.

Now I use Align and that really proved effective.

I think the lump in my throat is the root of all my problems, it is the reason I worry and barely get out anymore. I gave up trying to find an answer for a while sick of doctors looking at me sideways when I tell my story. I can't help but feel that my quality of life is not as it should be.
This forum has given me new hope finally finding people with identical throat growl and everything I have.
0 Replies

sloworld

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 12:06 pm
@dhandoko,
I wonder if they could recheck that old image for the schatski issue? My 14 year old daughter has the same complaints and they want her to take antacids and miralax then have an xray. To see if it's constipation.
0 Replies

Mary Dennis

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:36 am
@swalker,
I can so identify with your situation. I, too, have found that lying on my left side relieved the pressure and now I know why. It also seems to induce the bubbling up sensation that provides some relief, though not a burp! I've lived with this problem for 0ver 70 years so I know all about it. So glad to have some company!
MGD
0 Replies

rwilson04

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 12:35 am
I've been wondering about swallowing some sort of tubing to vent gas out. Has anyone thought about or tried anything like this? The scenario I imagine using this would be in the privacy of a bathroom, swallow one end of the tube, vent out any gas, pull the tube back out, wash tube (I did something similar as a kid, with spaghetti). Would it work? Is the pressure inside greater than the atmospheric pressure, or would you need a syringe or something to extract gas with negative relative pressure? What kind of tubing could be used, rigid enough to not collapse in the throat, but soft enough not to cause any damage. I've seen feeding tubes used for kids with problems eating, they have a soft/rounded tip, but maybe it doesn't matter as much since it wouldn't be forced down. It would need to be small enough to prevent/reduce gagging, but still have an internal diameter large enough to allow easy flow of gas.

I think my problem is the upper esophageal sphincter, but it sounds like other people might have a problem at the one from the stomach to the esophagus? My understanding of the anatomy of a burp is pretty limited at this point. If it is the upper one, it seems like there is less chance of anything besides gas getting out, and you don't have to swallow it as far.
0 Replies

MjLeopoldo

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:17 pm
I'm relieved knowing there are other people who suffer the same as I do. I thought I am the only person who cannot burp. Been suffering for decades now. I feel bloated my entire life, my friend tried teaching me to burp but to no avail, I even have a regular massage as they say having your muscles relaxed will help out passing gas out... yeah true, but at the other end, so embarassing my fart sound like a bomb. I am 36 now and pregnant and my inability to burp is driving me nuts. It's 2:10AM and I'm awake, i feel so ill with all the gas, I'm so bloated. My chest hurts. I have the urge to burp but nothing comes out. I feel there's a lot of stuff stuck in my throat. I just vomited a while ago. When can we get out of this? So upset.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:43 pm
Quote:
Celts said: I have never been able to burp. I get gas built up in my stomach and get really bloated. I can feel the air coming up my esophagus then when it gets to the top it makes a gurgle noise and goes right back down

Burping is a reflex thing like sneezing, you can't force it to happen.
Next time you feel a burp coming up your gullet don't try to force it, just relax your throat muscles and don't think about it, and see if it pops out naturally
0 Replies

sabahsardar

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:25 pm
@Celts34,
Thanks for God. I really found someone like me who has same problem. but I it is for 1 year I have this and I don't know but the real is the ring in upper stomach which is not enough wide to burp.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:44 pm
Remember, THE INTERNET IS THE BEST DOCTOR IN TOWN, so use it to look up and research whatever ailment you've got, and also compare notes with fellow sufferers in medical discussion forums etc.
That way you'll end up knowing more about the illness than the quacks and can keep tabs on whether they're diagnosing and treating you correctly..Smile
neologist

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 10:51 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
First post in 2007. If he hasn't burped by now, he could get a job as the Good Year Blimp.
0 Replies

Barbie7319

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 03:16 pm
I know this thread has been around for awhile, wish I had found it years ago..I've suffered my whole life with this..I've never met anyone else who has this problem so I'm extremely thankful you are all here, I don't feel alone any longer. My only difference is I lay on my right side to find the relief, if I lay on my left the gas comes with a vengeance. They seem to be getting worse as I get older and I use to think it was because of certain foods but now I know it doesn't matter, water can trigger it...anxiety doesn't help Sad Wishing for relief has anyone found a cure all?
0 Replies

ekrajenka

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 09:01 am
@caribou,
Hi There- Can I PLEASE get the name & phone number to this Doctor, who enlarges the Ring of Schatzki?

I have trying to find a solution to this problem of mine:

I have had this problem for 20 years now. Started out of nowhere. had surgery 8 years ago, in which they cut a sphincter (which was too tight) to try to give me relief. The surgery left me with acid reflux and my existing problem. As soon as I eat anything I blopat up. If I don't stick my fingers down my throat to force a cough/gag/burp to release the air...it will either make me feel lightheaded and have trouble breathing. Or it will turn into rapid-fire hiccups...but I can't burp.

Maybe I can contact this doctor as an avenue to try to FINALLY correct this problem. Do you happen to know what the name of the procedure is? maybe I can even address this with one of the many Doxctors/Hospital Organizations that didn't have a clue or told me it was all in my head!
anyanswers

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:46 pm
I have the same miserable feeling in my throat with the gurgling too. Sometimes I end up gaggin/retching. I also never burp. Has anyone found the solution? Please share if you have
0 Replies

Haletyler1

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:55 pm
@ekrajenka,
Did you find the doc? My girlfriend and two friends have that problem. Please email me [email protected]. Thank you good luck!
0 Replies

Jswag

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 04:54 am
I am so glad to have found this. Our son who is 11 has been having this problem. Every since he has been able to talk he said he hurts and it was always after eating. We have had him to two different child gastrologist, Riley, and many ER trips due to the pain. When he was a baby if we gave 4 ounces of formula we got 3 back and he would cry non stop every night for at least an hour. We had to pull him out of school and do home schooling because he was not able to function due to the "hurting", refusing to eat lunch and any exercise makes it worse so he refused to do PE and hated recess. He refused to get out of the vehicle when I would try to drop him off at school. The docs said there is nothing they can find wrong, that it has to be a mental thing or acid reflux... Going back today to IU medical and we now have a possible reason and it describes him to a tee. Thank you for sharing!! Wish us luck, and say a prayer the doc listens and this gets resolved.
0 Replies

Thejaxster

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 12:43 pm
Im glad im nott the only one with this problem. Never been able to burp. I get so bloated it makes me sick. I stick my finger down my throat to help release the air. Its so annoying cuz when i get alk that air in there it just seeps out and makes so many embarrassing sounds from my mouth. I call it my percolator. All the dry heaving ive done i think has caused a big open sore high in my esophagus though. That i cant deal with either. I eat very little because of this problem yet i cant even lose weight. My food seems to sit in my small stomach forever. I dont know if thats a different problem or not. Just wish i could fix it.
0 Replies

Mukuru

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 01:34 pm
So happy to find this forum, actually my family and friends dont get it,think am a Wierdo, unless I take coke ,though that too I get like an acidic taste down my oesophagus, I pass gas a lot though, but burping, just doesn't work for me. And I know that feeling your all saying, it feels like an achievement when you get one after forcing it. Am 33 years from Kenya
0 Replies