My dog licks me all over why?

Ragman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 05:43 am
More info on the licking:

Little dogs like Chihuahua lick more than bigger dogs. I've seen the tiny dog be pulled away amidst licking and the dog is still making the motions of licking..licking it's lips...it seems instinctive.

A friend of mine who has a Yorkie who licks a lot, too. Just the nature of little dogs and dogs in general.

Also, mother nature in her infinite widsom, has given dogs and cats this incredible sense of smell and taste. They can sense fear, happiness, sadness, and emotions by their smell and taste. Acutely aware from smell and taste. I suppose they're cataloging this info 'cause they can't ask you verbally what's happening (are you a threat...or are you warm and fuzzy) so they lick to figure out what's safe and good for them. A good defense mechanism, don't you think?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:54 pm
I never thought of that. I knew about the instinct of smell for those reasons but not taste. That is interesting. Now I have to wonder what she is thinking.
0 Replies

mathew82

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:25 am
@TTH,
A dog licks for a few reason - i dont know what all these people are babbling about but its all just gibberish, 1. of 2. main reasons dogs lick their master so much is because they are showing a love to you and want you to know they love you, as well as some to show that they are hungry, I have a 2 .75 year old yorkie an she does this all the time i never get mad because i know what an why she is doing it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:15 pm
@mathew82,
So, Matthew...Please tell us all where you got your degree in animal psychology, vet. science, or a professional dog trainer?

(BTW, you might want to note that this thread is almost 2 yrs old)
TTH

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:30 am
@Ragman,
Hi mathew82, I see you received a nice welcoming committee.
Ragman wrote:
So, Matthew...Please tell us all where you got your degree in animal psychology, vet. science, or a professional dog trainer?
Please tell us all where you received yours?
Ragman wrote:
(BTW, you might want to note that this thread is almost 2 yrs old)
SO WHAT
Ragman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:28 am
@TTH,
The point I make here is that I didn't come into the thread and attempt to refute someone's ideas. I didn't appreciate someone being so dismissive of an opinion or comment. Matthew was dismissive -- hence my criticism. My expertise comes from studying pet behavior and having pets for most of my life, granted not a medical or animal psyschology expert, but pretty knowledgable.

My statement about the age of the thread is neutral one. I think it might be valuable to note as a potential contributor about the age of the thread in case you don't get a reply. Often times people shut off updates and don't see any new postings.
PDiddie

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:40 am
My big dog (50 lb. Chow/Golden Retriever/German Sheperd/Border Collie mix) does it too, and we have speculated that it could be because of my diabetes.

She does not do this to my wife, but she would lick me for hours all over the face and hands; if I allowed her to, that is. I believe it is a sign of great affection as well as the fact that I must taste good to her. (FWIW she was fixed before her first menstrual cycle.)

Her tongue is mottled purple (that's the Chow) and pink, and it feels very scratchy, almost like a cat's. I have never felt a dog's tongue that wasn't smooth and wet before Teddi's, and hers is both rough and dry.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 02:17 am
@Ragman,
Ragman
I feel a need to apologize to you and I understand your point of view. You and many others know I can be dense so thank you for explaining your post. Now it makes more sense to me.
0 Replies

Taino871

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 07:20 am
@mathew82,
@Matthew, my Yorkie does it after I take him for a walk or just before I leave for work. I have 3 adult children and I spend MOST of my free time with my Dog. and yes I firmly agree that it IS a sign of love. Let them lick to their little hearts content. And be glad they are. Of biting!
0 Replies

Taino871

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 07:23 am
@Ragman,
Ragman, I AM NOT PICKING A FIGHT!! But is it right in saying that our dogs lick us because they love us? I feel Matthew was right in saying that. Again this is just my opinion and NOT an argument. Thank you! Smile.
0 Replies

mom923

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 06:30 am
I have an almost 2 yr old golden retriever and one day I started to have a panic attack and she came up to me and wouldn't leave me alone, licking me constantly, mainly I just wanted to be alone, but she was very persistant. Well she finally laid her head on my lap, and I started to pet her, the panic started fading away immediatley. Now when she starts licking me, sometimes its like she knows that I might be getting one and she starts to calm me down.. Just another thought for you.. They are so smart and sensitive to their owners that they do what they can to protect and love them..
0 Replies