My dog licks me all over why?

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 06:55 pm
Re: My dog licks me all over why?
ehBeth wrote:
Your dog needs to understand that you're the alpha whether you're awake or asleep.

ehBeth oh we went through that. She was stubburn. She would sink her teeth into my hand and just look at me. If I moved, spoke or did anything she would bite harder. You should have seen both my hands. She was sadistic that little thing. I tried everything NICE I could think of. I spoke to others, researched the internet and nothing worked.

Then Idea I bought the product called bitter apple. I had to hide the bottle because if she saw it in my hand she would run off. She knew something. So, I had it hidden right by me. She did not see it, she jumped up on the couch and bite into my hand (I did get this evil grin even though I love animals I had enough) I sprayed that disgusting stuff right into her mouth and all over my hand in the process. It hurt since my hands were so beat up. She never did it again. That was all it took.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:02 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Done told, I'm goin!

Does that mean I can't come? Sad
Don't be silly... of course you can come.

Oh, and this may appear funny, appearing together, but the pussy licking frog is the dirty old French shop keeper.

(Watch for Francis to kick his A$$ for that Twisted Evil)

Ps. Maybe take the dog to bed with you after putting on a lil bitter apple like perfume.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:14 pm
Occom Bill the perfume idea. I have some apple smelling perfume. I will have to take a bath in it but, it is worth a try.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:27 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
I sprayed that disgusting stuff right into her mouth and all over my hand in the process. It hurt since my hands were so beat up. She never did it again. That was all it took.

That's a fine example of an aversion technique for a specific problem - not training.

Does your dog obey your commands? Does she understand that you go through doors first - up or down stairs first - that sort of thing?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:38 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Your dog needs to understand that you're the alpha whether you're awake or asleep.

ehBeth oh we went through that. She was stubburn. She would sink her teeth into my hand and just look at me. If I moved, spoke or did anything she would bite harder. You should have seen both my hands. She was sadistic that little thing. I tried everything NICE I could think of. I spoke to others, researched the internet and nothing worked..

Nice don't cut it - firm, unambiguous, and absolutely consistent disapproval is what it takes - whether the pup is a little yappy one like yours -

or a 150-pound-plus wolf hybrid
http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/12/mine8wu.jpg
with inch and a half fangs like my buddy Jake here -

only one of you is gonna be the boss, and if you don't make yourself the boss, the pup will take the job, and if you let the pup be the boss, guess where you stand in the pack.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:38 pm
ehBeth wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
I sprayed that disgusting stuff right into her mouth and all over my hand in the process. It hurt since my hands were so beat up. She never did it again. That was all it took.

That's a fine example of an aversion technique for a specific problem - not training.

Does your dog obey your commands? Does she understand that you go through doors first - up or down stairs first - that sort of thing?

Yes, she is very obedient. She listens when I tell him to sit, stay etc. She knows who is boss when I am awake. Maybe that is why she does this licking thing. That is her way of being boss?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:40 pm
Jakes teeth look very healthy.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:45 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
dlowan: gus is a bad, bad, bad man or weird. Laughing

I just saw this thread, TTH. I am sure that you were not surprised that Gus was the first to respond to a thread with this title. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:51 pm
timberlandko wrote:
firm, unambiguous, and absolutely consistent ... if you let the pup be the boss, guess where you stand in the pack.

two two two mints in one

Gotta be consistent.
Gotta be the alpha.

It takes work, but it's worth it - for you, and especially for your dog. Life's much easier on a dog who doesn't have to be the pack alpha.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:53 pm
wandeljw wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
dlowan: gus is a bad, bad, bad man or weird. Laughing

I just saw this thread, TTH. I am sure that you were not surprised that Gus was the first to respond to a thread with this title. Smile

Nope, not surprised at all that he showed up. He seems to have a strange thing about him when it comes to animals. Laughing

(wondering what brought you here)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:57 pm
But ehBeth she only does this when I am sleeping. I can't make her obedient if I am asleep. Timberlandko had the idea. I need to be away from her when I sleep. I was hoping there was a different way because I like her to be in the bed (only as a dog).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:14 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Crating at night will help with the specific problem, but training in general is the best idea. Your dog needs to understand that you're the alpha whether you're awake or asleep.

If you are the alpha, you won't have the problem.

If you're not able to commit to training and becoming the alpha, crating will be a fix for the specific problem.

Look again at timber's post about 'firm, unambiguous and absolutely consistent'.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:19 pm
dlowan wrote:
The sister of one of my friends once carefully lined up her Pastor father, and mad mother, to tell them she was leaving her husband to go and be with her female lover, because she had discovered she was a lesbian.

Her mother, it seemed, much to everyone's surprise, took it well.

Then...the mother said "Well, dear, they have very nice food, don't they?"

Yes...she had no idea what a lesbian was, and thought her daughter had decided to become Lebanese.

Laughing

That's hilarious, Deb!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:28 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
Jakes teeth look very healthy.

Somebody else mentioned that a while back.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:29 pm
She does think I am. I am very consistent with her when I say "no" I mean no and she knows that. She is very good when I am at home or not. I do play with her and we have that time. We also have obedience almost every day. I am in the process of teaching her commands by hand signals only. I do not even have to do it with a bribe like a treat. As soon as she does things right I praise her right away. I used to show dogs. (another talent=Tryagain Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes) I found one of the hardest part of obedience was the long stay. She is good at that. It took only about 4 days to train her that. She is smart.

It appears to me that is the only time she is boss is when I am asleep. She has also taken my slippers off my feet and (this is even worse) my shirt.
I did not wake up. That must be it ehBeth. When I am awake I am the boss. I am very consistent with her. It is only when I sleep.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:39 pm
The Puppies here are well adapted to the notion its a very, very bad idea to bother Dad while he's sleeping - unless there's a very, very good reason, like a strange car coming up the driveway or a deer or bear eating from one of the bird feeders outside the fence.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:47 pm
You are right but can I just call you timber?

She barks if someone is outside. That is the only time she barks. She lets me know.

OMG timber the link, your dog, you feed your dog GREENIES??????

You do know about all the lawsuits and the dogs that have been killed don't you???

There were 9 were I live. I took mine (greenies) all back and contacted S&N Nutech.
I sent an email out to everone I know it went from the west US to the east
US. The company ended up emailing me asking me to retract it and I said NO.
I did let them have my phone number and they called me and I still said NO.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:28 pm
You know, you could just get one of these to be the Alfa...

http://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/images/giant%20English%20Mastiff.jpg
This is the kind of Dog (English Mastiff) that hunts smaller critters for fun... like Wolves.

After reading about them in the Vampire Lestat, I figured I should pick up a couple of them to watch the house. They only get to be around 350 lbs or so, so I figured what the heck.

I stopped at my Dad's house, and he introduced me to the one animal that I knew for sure could match the security prowess of 2 Mastiffs; a Tibetan Dragon. Shocked Apparently in ancient paintings, two of these beasts were always depicted at the Tibetan God, Manzuri(?)'s feet. In the case of a death they would come together to form a two headed dragon that would act as steed for the God on his journey to take the lost soul to where he was to be reborn. Once the work was done, they would separate back into two mighty beasts and return to Manzuri's feet.

As the story goes, he was the 8th generation smuggled out of a Tibetan monastery where they had spent centuries recreating the powerful breed. Non shedding human like hair, a curved spine, pronounced under bite, almost completely silent and they even managed to breed into them a liking to hang out at your feet. He was a wonderful companion; though at $425 a pound he was a bit steep. I just couldn't get over how energetic, yet utterly silent he was (unless, of course, there was a knock on the door... or trouble in the air. Twisted Evil ) Pity the fool who stepped in unannounced. Shocked Now try not to be scared... it's only a picture... and he's not crushing me as bad as it looks...

Meet Drago...

3.5 pounds of pure pain.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3439/drago3xy9.jpg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:42 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
... can I just call you timber?

Most folks do ... go right ahead.

Quote:
OMG timber the link, your dog, you feed your dog GREENIES??????

You do know about all the lawsuits and the dogs that have been killed don't you???

There were 9 were I live. I took mine (greenies) all back and contacted S&N Nutech.
I sent an email out to everone I know it went from the west US to the east
US. The company ended up emailing me asking me to retract it and I said NO.
I did let them have my phone number and they called me and I still said NO.

Been using Greenies since around 1991, mebbe '92 or so - many, many dogs, many, many, many, many Greenies, no problems, original formula or the new one that came out last year, and I can say pretty much the same for many, many dog owners and vets I know. I'm aware of the flap you reference; sorry, but I really don't see any there there.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:47 pm
Timber, I loved the picture of Jake. I'd love to hear more stories and see more photos... Have you ever thought of your own puppy thread?

More Puppies!
0 Replies