Gore Announces S.O.S.

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 11:46 am
Thomas wrote:
A bill does not work when its sponsor first promotes it on the Senate floor. It works if and when it's enacted into law, causing the government to spend money money. In the case of the Gore bill, this happened 1991, not 1986.

And yet, the report the bill called for was issued by the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) in November of 1987. How can that BE? Shocked

Moreover, the entire speech was for the National Science Foundation Authorization Act which was in fact signed by Ronald Reagan in 1987. The same National Science Foundation which took over from the ArpaNet in 1984, with computers which were set to receive inputs at 56 kbps-just like the dialup telephone modems in use today.

The "internet"-or more accurately it's precursor-was essentially running at phone modem speed at it's critical points. This gives you some idea just how nascent the internet was at the time.

Once again, I emphasize-Al Gore's bills established the commissions to plan and then later implement the internet we know today.

Thomas wrote:
When Wikipedia mentions Gore is irrelevant. However, it is relevant that even 1986 is three years after the Pentagon shut down the civilian part of ARPAnet and the National Science Foundation started up NSFnet, its research network. Even your timeline does not support your account of Gore's influence under the laws of cause and effect.

Your timeline, or rather your math, seems to be off. 1986 is two years after 1984, when the National Science Foundation network took the civilian users from the ARPANet.

Such computers could hardly handle traffic for anything which can be called "the internet" as we know it. Al Gore introduced bills to beef up the National Science Foundation computers with fiber optic cable so they can handle the traffic a real network would require. These bills were finally passed.

Thomas wrote:
To be clear: I'm not disputing that the federal government helped in the expansion of the internet.

Thankyou. Considering that the networks the internet grew out of were first the ARPANet, (a Defense Department project), and then the National Science Foundation, (another US Gov't entity), it is nice to know the US Government gets some of the credit for the internet..

Thomas wrote:
I'm not disputing that Gore deserves some of the credit for the government's helpful intervention.

Without Gore, the precursor to the internet would be chugging along on 56 kbps, unknown to the general public. Or maybe not even that, since it is impossible to measure the impact his boosterism might have had on his fellow Senators when it came time to vote the money for the NSF to continue the civilian network traffic after the ARPANet went all military.

All these folks out there who are ready to believe the internet was ALL SET UP years before Gore came along in 1986, ask yourself this once again: How come there were no search engines or directories for this supposedly existent network before 1993? The Archie application was a paper handed in by a student at Montreal's McGill University, and when it was put into practice it stayed local for several years. Really, it was 1993 before the first search engines as we know them appeared-and then suddenly a bunch of them appeared.

There was no problem with the programming-"search" functions were around in word processors and other programs for at least a decade. The reason there were no search engines before 1990 at the very earliest-really 1993-is that there was no central network to search.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 12:15 pm
Would you like to talk about Apple's hypertext help features that appeared in the late 1980's?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:11 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Your timeline, or rather your math, seems to be off. 1986 is two years after 1984, when the National Science Foundation network took the civilian users from the ARPANet.

It's still not your story, which is "... and Gore said, 'Let there be a high-speed internet', and there was a high speed internet. And Gore saw it was good." This would be impressive, but it's not what happened. What did happen was: "And there was an internet (1983, or 1984 according to you). And Gore said, let there be an internet (1986). And Gore saw it was good (1999)." This story is much less impressive.

kelticwizard wrote:
Such computers could hardly handle traffic for anything which can be called "the internet" as we know it. Al Gore introduced bills to beef up the National Science Foundation computers with fiber optic cable so they can handle the traffic a real network would require. These bills were finally passed.

The telephone backbone in 1980 most certainly did not run at data rates typical for modems. I would be very surprised if the NSFnet's routers ran at that speed, as your phrase "its critical points" appears to suggest. But I admit I haven't researched the point about the routers.

Kelticwizard wrote:
Without Gore, the precursor to the internet would be chugging along on 56 kbps, unknown to the general public.

That's an unsupported assertion on your part, which I find implausible.

kelticwizard wrote:
ask yourself this once again: How come there were no search engines or directories for this supposedly existent network before 1993?

because the internet was too small to need search engines at the time.

Just for fun, I suggest that you hit groups.google.com and search its Usenet archive from 1982 to 1992 for mentions of "Al Gore", "Gore bill", and similar expressions. It will give you a fairly realistic image of how big a deal Gore was for the internet community at the time.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
kelticwizard wrote:

Once again, I emphasize-Al Gore's bills established the commissions to plan and then later implement the internet we know today.

keltic, what I really want to know, is what position do you hold, or did you hold, on Al Gore's staff?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 01:01 pm
I'm pretty sure it was a one handed position. Al's staff isn't that big from what I hear.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:23 am
I asked keltic a question in jest, but am I the only one that has noticed it stopped him dead in his tracks? Maybe I stumbled into something interesting, and might explain why keltic seems to hold Gore in such high regard. The question I asked was about the only thing left that I thought might explain it.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 07:48 am
You admit you ask a question in jest, then try to make a big deal when you don't receive an answer? That makes sense.

And Okie, don't get so carried away with yourself about "stopping me dead in my tracks", either. Rather, since the only serious people posting in this thread were Thomas and myself, I put my response to Thomas' post off until I could come up with something more detailed for him, to illustrate the point that Al Gore did indeed take the legislative initiative in creating the network we now call the internet.

Moreover, Gore has his supporters, scientists there at the beginning, who speak up and support his role as making the internet possible. Vinton Cerf, for one.

As for your oh-so-snide speculation about my belonging to the Gore campaign-forget it, Bub. With one small exception, I have never belonged to any campaign for any officeholder in my life. Nor have I aided one in any capacity in my home, using my phone, or my computer. I have never met with any campaign workers, passed out any leaflets, made any phone calls, or done anything that in any shape, size or form could be determined as belonging to a campaign.

Looking back, I somewhat regret I have not been more active in some campaigns. The exception? On Election Day 1980, I went down to the Democratic headquarters and offered to drive voters to the polls. I picked up one lady at her house, drove her to the poll, waited out in the car, drove her home, and returned to the headquarters where I was informed they had more no more need for drivers. End of my participation in any campaigns.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:30 am
Is this the same Al gore that claimed to have been an early supporter of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and to have helped get it started?

http://algoresupportcenter.com/accomplishments3.html

I cant copy it,so click on the link and go to part XI,that deals with his energy accomplishments.
Its the first paragraph.

Of course,the SPR was created BEFORE he became a congressman...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_and_Conservation_Act

Quote:
The Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA) declared it to be U.S. policy to establish a reserve of up to 1 billion barrels of petroleum. President Ford signed the legislation on December 22, 1975, setting the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) into motion.

The need for a national oil storage reserve had been recognized for at least five decades. Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes advocated the stockpiling of emergency crude oil in 1944. President Truman's Minerals Policy Commission proposed a strategic oil supply in 1952. President Eisenhower suggested an oil reserve after the 1956 Suez Crisis. The Cabinet Task Force on Oil Import Control recommended a similar reserve in 1970.

But few events so dramatically underscored the need for a strategic oil reserve as the 1973-74 oil embargo. The cutoff of oil flowing into the United States from OPEC sent economic shockwaves throughout the nation. In the aftermath of the oil crises, the United States established the SPR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Petroleum_Reserve

Quote:

Yet Gore didnt become a congressman till 1977...

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761553525/Gore_Al.html

Quote:
Gore represented Tennessee for eight years in the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-1985) and for another eight in the U.S. Senate (1985-1993)

So how could he have been an early supporter of the SPR,when it happened 2 years BEFORE he became a congressman?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:34 am
So, if he supported it near its beginning (if you can stipulate that for a 20+ year old organization, the first 2-3 years are near its beginning), he's an "early supporter". Unless of course, someone has a reason to slam everything he says and look for ways to discredit him.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
snood wrote:
So, if he supported it near its beginning (if you can stipulate that for a 20+ year old organization, the first 2-3 years are near its beginning), he's an "early supporter". Unless of course, someone has a reason to slam everything he says and look for ways to discredit him.

I am just wondering how he could have supported it in Congress when it became law BEFORE he was in Congress.
That doesnt seem possible to me.

I'm not slamming him,just questioning the facts.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:03 pm
mysteryman wrote:
snood wrote:

I am just wondering how he could have supported it in Congress when it became law BEFORE he was in Congress.

Yeah, whatever.
"Mysteryman",
There's certainly no "mystery" about the negative spin you're attempting on this - and it's a bogus non-starter. This is what it says on the page about Gore's contributions that you linked:

Quote:
Gore supported the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to prevent U.S. dependence on foreign oil. Al Gore was an early, vocal advocate for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. He argued, "We need the cushion to fall back on in case some events occur in the Middle East which deprive the world of that very tenuous supply of oil,: and he noted that the "SPR is a vital asset to our national security."

And that's all it says
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:44 pm
When he got to Congress in 1977, Gore was a member of the committee which oversaw the filling of the Strategic Petroleum Reserves. The filling commenced before he got there, but much of the filling continued while he was on that committee which oversaw the filling operation.

In 2000, he also supported the extension of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve Act.

This is by no means a complete list, he might have done even more than this.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 06:09 am
<b>Snake Pliskin</b> wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Yeah, whatever.
"Mysteryman",
There's certainly no "mystery" about the negative spin you're attempting on this - and it's a bogus non-starter. This is what it says on the page about Gore's contributions that you linked:

Quote:
Gore supported the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to prevent U.S. dependence on foreign oil. Al Gore was an early, vocal advocate for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. He argued, "We need the cushion to fall back on in case some events occur in the Middle East which deprive the world of that very tenuous supply of oil,: and he noted that the "SPR is a vital asset to our national security."

And that's all it says

I will repeat my question,and I will type slowly so you can read and understand it.

How could he have been an early supporter in Congress if the SPR came into being BEFORE he became a congressman?

If that is to difficult for you to understand,then you might try a remedial reading class.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 07:43 am
mysteryman wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Yeah, whatever.
"Mysteryman",

Quote:

And that's all it says

I will repeat my question,and I will type slowly so you can read and understand it.

How could he have been an early supporter in Congress if the SPR came into being BEFORE he became a congressman?

If that is to difficult for you to understand,then you might try a remedial reading class.

Can you not support something without being in congress?

I support gun ownership rights, so I help by sending money to the NRA.
I suppor the seperation of church and state, so I send money to Americans United for Separation of Church and State.
You support the war, so you vote for congressmen of like minds to represent you.

If THIS is too difficult for you to understand, then you might try a .45 caliber, hollow point, 230 grain, to the left temple. I'm not suggesting that you kill yourself, just pointing out this simple fact is so easy to understand that you should spend some time on it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 10:42 am
maporsche wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Yeah, whatever.
"Mysteryman",

Quote:

And that's all it says

I suppor the seperation of church and state, so I send money to Americans United for Separation of Church and State.
You support the war, so you vote for congressmen of like minds to represent you.

If THIS is too difficult for you to understand, then you might try a .45 caliber, hollow point, 230 grain, to the left temple. I'm not suggesting that you kill yourself, just pointing out this simple fact is so easy to understand that you should spend some time on it.

When you are listing your POLITICAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS,to list something you might have done BEFORE you became a politician seems suspect to me.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 10:42 am
maporsche wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Yeah, whatever.
"Mysteryman",

Quote:

And that's all it says

When you are listing your POLITICAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS,to list something you might have done BEFORE you became a politician seems suspect to me.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 07:39 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
When he got to Congress in 1977, Gore was a member of the committee which oversaw the filling of the Strategic Petroleum Reserves. The filling commenced before he got there, but much of the filling continued while he was on that committee which oversaw the filling operation.

In 2000, he also supported the extension of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve Act.

When Gore got to Congress in 1977, the U.S. already had a space program too, among many other things, so since he probably voted for something some time or other related to the space program, maybe he would like us to believe he invented the space program too, along with the internet and the petroleum reserve, MM? The list of his accomplishments could grow exponentially.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 08:29 pm
I guess that means Bush didn't support attacking Iraq since we first sent troops into Iraq in 1991. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:12 am
okie wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

When Gore got to Congress in 1977, the U.S. already had a space program too, among many other things, so since he probably voted for something some time or other related to the space program, maybe he would like us to believe he invented the space program too, along with the internet and the petroleum reserve, MM? The list of his accomplishments could grow exponentially.

No, but he could accurately say he was a "supporter" of the space program, and some scmoe trying for a gratuitous smear would probably find a way to say he was suggesting he invented it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:47 pm
snood wrote:
okie wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

No, but he could accurately say he was a "supporter" of the space program, and some scmoe trying for a gratuitous smear would probably find a way to say he was suggesting he invented it.

OK dumbass,where did ANYONE suggest that Gore claimed to have invented the SPR?
0 Replies