Gore Announces S.O.S.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:27 am
That really hurts coming from you.... actually you have more in common with me than MM.... since we were both declared unfit for military service.... of course I decided not to obsess about it but still we're more like each other than like MM.....that doesn't mean you're invited to my birthday party though..... Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:30 am
Nuge got himself declared unfit too. Now he goes and puts himself in harms way to entertain the troops. Some people change.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:32 am
cjhsa wrote:
Nuge got himself declared unfit too. Now he goes and puts himself in harms way to entertain the troops. Some people change.

harms way...... okay.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:39 am
Research it yourself.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
remember when all you big real americans were ridiculing Al Gore's service in Viet Nam because he was a journalist and not a real soldier in harms way? I'll give your draft dodger Unca Ted exactly the same consideration. :wink:
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:09 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
actually the chirp referred to McGentrix. Like all imaginary tough guys he really doesn't have much to say.

MM... I won't dig through a million posts but it is patently obivous to anyone other than your fellow die hard bush and war no matter what compadres that you consider yourself better and a truer American than the anti war anti bush crowd. It glows all around you like an light you could guide boats into the harbor with.

Deny it all you want. It doesn't change a damn thing.

So,you make a claim you cant back up?
Why doesnt that surprise me?

I have never claimed to be a "better and a truer American" than you or any other person.

I have said that I know more about Iraq and whats going on then those of you that only get their news from people that havent been there.
I also do consider myself a better American than anyone that either actively or passively roots for the troops to lose.
You remember anon,he actively rooted for the US to lose.

Am I a better American then him?
Yes,I am and I will say that to anyone that can hear m7e.

Am I a better American then you?
Only if you fit the criteria I set down.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:22 pm
Carville Predicts Gore Will Run
According to ABC News' Political Radar, James Carville says Gore will enter the 2008 Presidential campaign:

"I think he's gonna run," James Carville told Don Imus Tuesday morning of former Vice President Gore's potential presidential ambitions.
Appearing as a guest on "Imus in the Morning" on radio and MSNBC, the former Clinton strategist said: "Running for president is like sex, Don. You don't do it once and forget about it."

Gore has been coy about his intentions. He has "denied" that he has plans to run, while also giving supporters hope that he might be persuaded to run.

Carville also repeated Hillary's claim that former President Clinton is the "most popular human being on Earth."
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:31 pm
Surely someone that invented the internet could figure out how to conduct all of their communications, conferences, concerts, whatever, with computers, instead of flying all over the world in chartered jets?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:17 am
Al Gore never claimed to invent the internet. However, Al Gore sponsored the bill in Congress to fund the original research for the internet's creation. Plus, he then sponsored the bill which, based on that research, established the network which grew into the internet.

Gore did not invent computer networking-and never claimed to. There were many computer networks functioning before Al Gore came to Congress. However, there was no large civilian network linking universities and research facilities, even though many scientists saw the need for one.

Al Gore had conferences with those scientists, and sponsored the bill which got them funding to develop the idea and draw up a blueprint for such a network.

After the blueprint was developed, Al Gore sponsored another bill to set up that civilian network based on that reseach. The bill even included a timetable to expand the network out of the universities and the research sector and into the private domain, so individual homes could hook up to the new network. That network was called The Information Superhigway at the time. It is now called the internet.

Before the internet, there were commercial networks like AOL, Compuserve and others, who tied the subscriber into a bunch of web pages they set up. Sort of like a private cyber library. And there were people who put up their own websites which could be accessed by phone-IF you knew their phone number. But the idea that you could put up a webpage which could be accessed by anyone in the world-in short, the internet-took Al Gore's efforts.

In short, no Al Gore, no internet as we know it. And no A2K.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:42 am
That's like saying if whoever invented the wheel hadn't... it would never have gotten invented.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:33 am
Brand X wrote:
That's like saying if whoever invented the wheel hadn't... it would never have gotten invented.

You are aware, Brand X, that the wheel for transportation was NEVER used in the New World until the Europeans came?

The Native American civilizations could build great buildings, they could develop a written language, they could put together empires stretching thousands of miles, (the Incas' was over 2,000 miles long), but they could not get around to developing a wheeled vehicle. They had elaborate dragging mechanisms.

Consider that the next time you want to rely on the it-was-bound-to-happen-anyway argument.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:37 am
Consider the historic account of the wheel may be wrong.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:38 am
kelticwizard wrote:
The Native American civilizations could build great buildings, they could develop a written language, they could put together empires stretching thousands of miles, (the Incas was over 2,000 miles long), but they could not get around to developing a wheeled vehicle. They had elaborate dragging mechanisms.

It's even weirder than that -- some Native American cultures had children's toys with wheels on them. And still they didn't realize that wheels might be useful for large scale transport.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:39 am
I'm not aware of the historic account of the wheel. Only that wheeled vehicles were not present in the New World before the Europeans came.

Do you have evidence otherwise? I'm willing to listen.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:46 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Do you have evidence otherwise? I'm willing to listen.

No I don't. I agree there were no wheeled vehicles.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:48 am
I never said 'wheeled vehicles', only the wheel. :wink:
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:52 am
and I said "wheel for transportation". As opposed to a wheel for making pots.

PS: Sorry Thomas, I didn't see your first post when I posted directly afterward. You never maintained that there were wheeled vehicles in the New World at any time-it's just that by failing to see your first post, it might appear to the reader that I was maintaining you had.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:52 am
kelticwizard wrote:
The Native American civilizations could build great buildings, they could develop a written language, they could put together empires stretching thousands of miles, (the Incas' was over 2,000 miles long), but they could not get around to developing a wheeled vehicle. They had elaborate dragging mechanisms.

... and they even had paved roads. The Mayan city-empires spotted a multitude of masonry roads, at least comparable, often better in quality than the those of the Roman empire. Trail, paths and roads ran all across the Yucatan peninsula. Some roads were massive in construction, reaching from 3 to 20 meters in width, kilometres in length, built in a gigantic effort of manual labour, and maintained by ongoing programmes of cleaning and refurbishing.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:53 am
Brand X wrote:
I never said 'wheeled vehicles', only the wheel. :wink:

Very Happy
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:14 am
Yes, that is astonishing, Old Europe.

Back to the internet.

Let's make a few things clear. Before Al Gore even got to Congress, computers were talking to each other, that is, there were networks.

There were networks in companies, where only company business was on the network. There were networks within colleges and universities, providing access for the students to the college's library. There were networks all over the place. And all limited.

The largest one was the Arpanet, which is now called the DefenseNet. That tied together some research facilities as well, since some facilities were doing research for the Defense Department. The TCP/IP protocol was used by the ArpaNet as well, which is important since the later internet was based on that as well.

However, a lot of non-defense stuff was finding it's way onto the ArpaNet, the Defense Department decided that it was compromising national security, so they closed use of it down for all but strict Defense business. And they changed the name from ArpaNet to DefenseNet.

It was this removal of the ArpaNet from any kind of civilian use which provided computer scientists with the burning desire to create a network for civilian use which can link together universities and research facilites. Enter Al Gore. After listening to the scientists' ideas, Gore introduced to Congress a bill to fund research for just this civilian network. It passed, and the research commenced.

After the research was done and the blueprints were drawn up-including using the TCP/IP protocol from the ArpaNet-Al Gore introduced a second bill putting the plan into place. At first, the idea was to link universities and research facilities, and the people in those places, like students. The bill made provisions for access to this network to be given to private providers, who then will sell the access to consumers. Which also happened.

At the time this was called The Information Superhighway. Later, it was changed to the Internet.

Understand, Al Gore never claimed to invent anything. He never claimed to sit down at a drawing table and draw up schematics of circuits, etc. He merely listened to scientists who saw the need for a civilian network to tie everything together, at a time when there WAS no such network, and provided them the funding to get it done, and the bill the put it in place.
0 Replies