SAVE OUR KIDS: GET THEM TO CHURCH!!!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:33 pm
Nice suggestions for more similar threads: Why Religion Matters Even More: The Impact of Religious Practice on Social Stability
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Haven't read the entire study just yet, but I noticed that the headline states that "religion" is the crime-cutting factor. This would seem to mean any religion. Maybe we should get our kids to the mosque? Do you, Foxfyre, see a need to differentiate, or do you think any religion will do?

You apparently haven't read much of the thread either or you would have seen more than one incident in which I posted that the study did not seem to put any importance on what brand of religiosity was involved or that it be Christian or any other specific faith.

Well, I certainly didn't read every last post but the first couple of pages and the last few. In your first few posts you seemed to indicate that this study was reason enough to bring back prayer in schools and to resume calling winter break Christmas break. Therefore, I asked you (see bolded part) whether you thought it applied equally to other religions besides yours since your link seems to indicate that religion is the key. Again, I'm asking you, not the study.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 04:44 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Haven't read the entire study just yet, but I noticed that the headline states that "religion" is the crime-cutting factor. This would seem to mean any religion. Maybe we should get our kids to the mosque? Do you, Foxfyre, see a need to differentiate, or do you think any religion will do?

You apparently haven't read much of the thread either or you would have seen more than one incident in which I posted that the study did not seem to put any importance on what brand of religiosity was involved or that it be Christian or any other specific faith.

Well, I certainly didn't read every last post but the first couple of pages and the last few. In your first few posts you seemed to indicate that this study was reason enough to bring back prayer in schools and to resume calling winter break Christmas break. Therefore, I asked you (see bolded part) whether you thought it applied equally to other religions besides yours since your link seems to indicate that religion is the key. Again, I'm asking you, not the study.

What I seemed to be saying to you and what I did say are apparently quite different. I suggest you go back and read more carefully and also be sure to include the subsequent discussions on those poihts. What I think should be obvious as I am advocating that the study, if correct, should be given serious consideration by those who care about kids. I haven't made my religion an issue at any point in this discussion and I think any attempt to do so is an attempt to derail the thesis of the thread. (I have stated my opinion that evidence of religion in the school environment is not an insidious influence as some suggest.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 04:51 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
What I think should be obvious as I am advocating that the study, if correct, should be given serious consideration by those who care about kids.

Any idea why this didn't happen in the eight years between the publication of that summarising report and today?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 04:54 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
What I think should be obvious as I am advocating that the study, if correct, should be given serious consideration by those who care about kids.

Any idea why this didn't happen in the eight years between the publication of that summarising report and today?

I don't know Walter. Why don't you explain why? Take your time. I'll wait.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 05:11 pm
Although it's my bed time ...

I, Walter Hinteler, asked you, Foxfyre, a question.

I'm quite content with your answer that you don't know it.

I have no idea why that is neither - I'm not only no native Emnglish speaker but live in Germany.

Here, as you perhaps re-read in my previous posts on this thread, I have worked professionally with this subject.
My anecdotical and archived experiences are different to those in your quoted source.
That might certainly be reasoned by the fact that Germans aren't traditionally frequent church goers besides in war times and on high church feasts.

My experiences are only within one state - but the biggest in Germany with a population of 18 million (43,7 % Catholic, 29,2 % evangelical, ~ 11 % Muslim, ~ 16 % others and none).

My experiences and anecdotical knowledge results from more than 15 years of working in the primary as well tertiary child & youth prevention and five years teaching such at university.

Therefor I was interested in this subject.

"Was" is a past term.

But might well be that McG will give me some corrections about this as well.

Good night, Foxfyre, and thanks for waiting.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:23 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

What I seemed to be saying to you and what I did say are apparently quite different. I suggest you go back and read more carefully and also be sure to include the subsequent discussions on those poihts. What I think should be obvious as I am advocating that the study, if correct, should be given serious consideration by those who care about kids. I haven't made my religion an issue at any point in this discussion and I think any attempt to do so is an attempt to derail the thesis of the thread. (I have stated my opinion that evidence of religion in the school environment is not an insidious influence as some suggest.)

It was a very simple question. The fact that you respond so strongly and defensively makes me wonder what's underneath.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:39 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

It was a very simple question. The fact that you respond so strongly and defensively makes me wonder what's underneath.

Ah, if I take exception to being misquoted and provide a 'forceful answer', then there must be something underneath. I find it fascinating how many different ways you devise to judge me, Freeduck, while avoiding discussing a topic. I'll have to give it to you though. This was a new one. Very inventive. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:46 pm
How shall I judge thee? Let me count the ways...

Seriously Foxfyre, I didn't quote you, mis or otherwise. And you never answered my question.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:48 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
How shall I judge thee? Let me count the ways...

Seriously Foxfyre, I didn't quote you, mis or otherwise. And you never answered my question.

Yes you did by implication. And yes I did by reference.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 07:52 pm
I feel like I should mention that there is no such thing as quoting by implication.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I feel like I should mention that there is no such thing as quoting by implication.

Perhaps you quoted her by implication in the drawing room with a revolver?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:21 pm
Col Mustard was a witless.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:25 pm
LOL
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:47 pm
dlowan, you're killing me.

in the ballroom with the lead pipe. (pronounced peep)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:50 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
dlowan, you're killing me.

in the ballroom with the lead pipe. (pronounced peep)

I never said it wasn't not pronounced peep!

You have misquoted me by spiflication!

You are a very bad duck.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:13 am
There must have been a very deep misunderstanding, Foxfyre, and again one and/or more severe mistakes in response.

I'm not a native English speaker, Foxfyre. Again I am awfully sorry that you still are waiting - but my last post actually was my response.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:30 am
You kids should go to church to expiate your sins (and your parents' as well, who inculcated you so poor understanding skills)...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:31 pm
Diest TKO wrote:

I am pleased to hear this. I still give credit to the people, not the insitution. You and your daughter are fortunate then to have a caring faculty. I do share a curiosity with ebrown_p in wondering how much REAL independant thought is being allowed.

For instance, would your daughter be able to question teachings? If she needed to understand "how" and "why" beyond "what," what responce would she get?

If a classmate identified themselves as Gay, what would the responce be by the faculty? How would they model their behaivor? How od you want them to react?

If a classmate was to become pregnant...etc.

I went to public school, and all of my worst senarios have happened there, so I don't mean to suggest that ONLY relgious schools restrict independant thought. The difference is the institution being private versus public. In the public arena you have a better platform to fight/think for yourself.

You bring up some interesting questions and I am not sure how to answer 100%. It is an elementary school so these types of questions and pregnancy sort of issue are unlikely to occur. Although this particular school does not believe it is o-k to be gay (not my personal opinion), they do believe you should not judge others. They wouldn't support the gay actions, but would support the person in other words.

If this would happen to my child, I would take her out of the school as it wouldn't be appropriate for her. Not that they would be mean to her, just not supportive of her decision.

I have heard one parent refer to this school as "Baptist Light". Meaning they are not so Conservative or uptight as many. You really need to look around - not all Christians are so closed minded.

I have attended Christian Churches, however, that are supportive of the gay lifestyle and even have attended services lead by a lesbian minister. So there is some openness out there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:31 pm
I also only went to public schools.
0 Replies