Ask the A2K cooks!

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 10:26 pm
@farmerman,
Stuffed cabbage, kimchi, kraut, cabbage soup, filling for potstickers, coleslaw.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 10:33 pm
@farmerman,
Shred the beets like potatoes and make beet latkes. Sara Moulton did them on her show just last week. I'll see if I can find it.

Here is one from Epicurious while I look for Sara's.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cumin-scented-beet-latkes-231262
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 10:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's Sara's

http://saramoulton.com/2013/01/shredded-root-vegetable-latkes-2/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 12:32 am
@Butrflynet,
its so delicate leafed compared to regular cabbage, Id think it would turn to mush . Maybe as a fillr for an egg roll or potstickr
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 01:52 am
@farmerman,
More delicate than Napa cabbage?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 06:30 am
@farmerman,
Can't help you with those damn cabbages, my stomach is unforgiving when it comes to cooked cabbage. If I were you, I'd bury them in my neighbors yard. (well, that's what I do)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 08:44 am
@farmerman,
How is your chinese cabbage different from Napa cabbage?

__

The only thing I really use Napa for regularly(ish) is wrappers - and sliced into chicken/pork broth.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 02:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I think I've seen it sold as Savoy cabbage as well as Napa. Not sure, will google after I type this. I use it for salad sometimes; put it in with my burritos sometimes; soup sometimes (towards the end of any long soup cooking). I might put it raw sliced into sandwiches, with other items, if I had any of the cabbage in the fridge.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
mmmm...
http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-napa-cabbage-283763

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa_cabbage

I looked up savoy cabbage and that's not it - my grocer's label was wrong.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 12:23 am
@ossobuco,
Ive been building a bean soup for a soup course tomorrow afternoon dinner. Were having a pprika baked chicken woith lemon (her job) nd opens with my bean soup .

Ive gotten a really good smoked hamhock and have in it
beans(dried white pole beans)
onion and garlic
carrot slices
tomato chunks
bay leaf
veggie broth (Store brand in a box)
S&P (whole P)
3cloves (whole)

arrowroot for a slight thickening

several sliced up logs of kabanozy ( a kielbasi "slim jim") I found em in Sayreville NJ on my way home from upstate.

Can anyone give me any ideas that can add ome more dimension cause really, its just a soup now.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 12:56 pm
@farmerman,
Some greens of your choice? Some good sourdough bread toasted added to top of soup?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 06:42 pm
@farmerman,
sounds like you're building something like Senate Navy Bean soup

celery and/or parsley would brighten the flavour

__

got some thyme to toss in?

__

celery would be my first choice to change up the flavour
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 06:45 pm
@farmerman,
if you had more time, I'd suggest a celeriac knob

the other thing I've liked lately with beans and/or ham is fennel, but not everyone is a fan
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 07:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I like fennel, used to grow it, can't find it in a grocery in my neck of the woods except as seeds. Hmm, wonder if it would make it here in springtime.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
hmmmm. Fennel, thats a thought. I planted some but Mrs F uses it up quickly in Italin dishes. Its that "licorice" undertaste that gives a nice little kick to a number of dishes. I think her Italian "qwedding soup" is kinda a big sloppy bean soup with GABAGOOL, and fennel.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 07:46 pm
@farmerman,
if you haven't tried it before, make a fennel slaw sometime

it's brilliant with pork dishes and I love it with pan-fried fish

celery/apple/fennel work well together in slaw
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 08:05 pm
@ehBeth,
We control how much fennel, anise, licorice, and even tarragon I use (ID use tarragon on everything if itd be up to me).
The chemical anethole, in those plants will drop the body's level of potassium, and , in folks like me, (who are particularly sensitive), I get a fierce "hypokalemia" which interferes with my K sparing meds an causes me bad joint pains and even an "attack" of atrial fibrillation .
Last summer I had a Steak Diane with a prticularly rich Bernaise and a "Star Anise" ice cream dessert a,d I felt the joint pain an heart skips for several days till it wore off. (Now Ive been given these "Slow K" hprse pills that are basically a frame capsule in which crystals of potassium Chloride are grown. I take one of these and qithin a few hours I get a shot of K . BUT, I can control all thi crap by just limiting my licorice/anise/fennel/tarragon intake.

Nuff sick talk

I told Mrs F about that slaw and she said Im up fpor a bit of licorice next week so shell look into a type of pork chop thing wth some fennel slaw as a side.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 08:36 pm
@farmerman,
That's useful info.

___

pork chops and fennel slaw

that would be a winner for me Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 01:13 pm
@ehBeth,
today, I cored, peeld and sliced about 2 bushels of winesp apples for pies and sauce

My handy dandy Maine peeler slicer has been motorized by my son and its almost industrial, the way it plows through an apple.

Most of the apples will be cooked in their own sauce with sugar and spices while a few pounds will be used for "snitz" tarts.

My back is killing me, I need an apple station not in the kitchen.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 03:01 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, look look, a new to me used thingy I might like:
http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/19/whats-that-an-apple-slicerpeelercorer/

I guess LLBean sells 'em.

(I don't eat all that many apples, eh)