Ask the A2K cooks!

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:28 pm
@msolga,
I don't know from tarka...need to look it up...looks delish.

To me, Tarka is an otter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarka_the_Otter
msolga

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:57 pm
@dlowan,
Smile
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMJbuX3gVthKaPDLk7zQkgh1DRas9jCgMe2cRELOiDafv4RUjw
No, No! I would never cook one of these gorgeous beasties, Deb ... even if I was really, really hungry!

A "tarka" in Indian cooking is a flavoured oil (usually ghee, but I find it much too rich, as do many health-conscious Indians these days, so would use a vegetable oil (like sunflower) instead).

The oil is heated up in a small fry pan, then the other ingredients are thrown in: like chili, or garlic, or cumin seeds with asafoetida powder ... or a combination different ingredients, depending on what the recipe calls for.

For a basic mung dal, you'd heat the oil then add the cumin seeds. When they start to pop & release their aroma, you pour the tarka on top of the dal. A bit of sizzle & excitement! Smile

The opposite to recipes where you cook the onions or other flavourings in oil first, then add the other ingredients. You add the tarka last, when the dish is cooked.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:46 pm
OK. My last post on pulses, lentils, etc...
Don't want to bore you all silly.

But I just found this in today's Guardian.
Would you believe there's been a "chick pea renaissance" going on? Smile
(No, I didn't know that, either.)
But anyway, a good article with some interesting recipes ...

Quote:
Forget its reputation as worthy and beige – treated the right way, the humble chickpea reaches culinary heights that put its 70s wholefood past to shame

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/10/25/1319542339740/Chickpea-stew-with-lamb-m-008.jpg
Chickpea stew with lamb meatballs – perfect for a chilly day. Photograph: Colin Campbell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/28/chickpea-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:56 pm
@msolga,
Checking in to say I'm following all this re dhal, dal. Long have I loved it.
Here in abq, dhal is spare on foot.

I made a mighty batch of dhal once, in a large cooking pot, and ruined it with the last addition of a many item recipe. Haven't tried it since.

So, listening. (Yes, I have an MJ book)
msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:08 pm
@msolga,
Just one last thing, if you've never cooked dried chick peas before & might be contemplating doing so.:
Quote:
When you're cooking your own, soak them overnight in a generous amount of cold water. Next day, drain and put them in a large pan with fresh water (don't add salt at this stage, as it makes the skins tough) and bring to a simmer, skimming off any scum that rises to the top. Cook for about two hours, until they're very soft, then leave to cool in the cooking water – they'll continue to swell a bit and become ever more tender. They're now ready to add to other dishes or to enjoy just as they are, still warm, tossed in a little olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, some chopped parsley, flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The time they take to cook can vary a great deal.
The writer of the Guardian article (above) suggests two hours.
Mine, cooked this morning after an overnight soak, took only 45 minutes on a very low simmer. If I'd cooked them as long as he did they would have turned to mush.
It really depends on how old they are ... the ones I bought last week were from a middle eastern shop with a regular hight turn-over of such goods. However, if I'd had some standing on around on shelf for ages, they would probably have taken considerably longer. Best not to keep them for too long before cooking.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 09:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Just checking this thread.
I'm sorry, osso, I didn't see your post when I was typing & posting before.

OK to make a suggestion?
For your next batch of dal, try a smaller quantity.
Madhur Jaffrey's simplest mung dal recipe is good. You can't go wrong.

If you don't have split mung dal, or it's not easy to get where you are, substitute with split red lentils which can be found fairly easily.. the taste will be different, but the result will still be good.

The key to the taste is the "tarka", the spiced/flavoured oil, added at the last minute. See my post above (with the otters Smile ) for a bit more information.
I'm not an "expert" on dals, but I've made a helluva lot of em in my time.
Please feel free to ask for any extra information if you need it, OK?

ps ... I hope you read the Guardian article on chick peas (above) , osso. Lots of good suggestions there.
The thing about lentils, legumes, pulses ... is that they are so inexpensive, so good for you, health-wise & can also be so tasty!
Perfect food for tough economic times ... which is one of the reasons I've returned to them with such enthusiasm. Smile

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:15 pm
@msolga,
Another tried & true recipe from way back.
There are so many more!
But I will restrain myself. Smile

Quote:
Black-eyed beans/peas with mushrooms

Another excellent recipe from Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian Cookery.

She says: “I like this bean dish so much, I often find myself eating it up with a spoon, all by itself.” Serve on its own with naan bread and a salad or as a side dish. It does take a bit of time to make but it re-heats very well.

Preparation time: 1 hour 10 minutes (includes 1 hour soaking time)
Cooking time: 1 hour

Ingredients
225g/8 oz dried black-eyed beans, washed and drained
1.15 litres/2 pints water
225g/8 oz fresh mushrooms
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
2.5cm/1 inch stick of cinnamon
150g/5 oz onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
400g/1 lb tinned tomatoes. Or 14 oz fresh, ripe tomatoes.
2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley

Method

Put the beans and water into a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the pot sit, covered and undisturbed, for 1 hour.

While the pot is resting, cut the mushrooms through their stems into 3mm thick slices.

Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium flame. When hot, put in the whole cumin seeds and the cinnamon stick. Let the sizzle for 5-6 seconds.

Now put in the onions and garlic. Stir and fry until the onioin pieces turn brown at the edges.

Put in the mushrooms. Stir and fry until the mushrooms wilt.

Now add the tomatoes and ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric and cayenne. Stir and cook for a minute.

Cover, turn heat to low and let the mixture cook in its own juices for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat under the pan.

Bring the beans to the boil again. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the beans are tender.

To this bean and water mixture, add the mushroom mixture, salt, black pepper and fresh coriander/parsley.

Stir to mix and bring to a simmer.

Simmer, uncovered, on medium-low heat for another 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.

http://camel-csa.org.uk/2009/11/27/recipe-no-22-black-eyed-beans-with-mushrooms/
neko nomad

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 01:21 pm
This thread needs a Thanksgiving dinner picture.

http://onceuponageek.com/images/thanksgiving1.jpg

Best wishes, MsO.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 01:47 pm
@msolga,
Just saw this...

I'm a chickpea fan by now - home cooked so much better. But even white beans are so much better slow cooked to perdition. Back later on dhal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 07:23 pm
@neko nomad,
Best wishes to you & your critters, too, neko. Smile
I love the facial expressions in that picture!
Like that guy in the bottom right hand of the picture. ....
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 08:32 pm
Recipes requested by Osso from our Thanksgiving dinner. I put the alterations I made in parentheses.)

Whiskey-Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, Food Network

Serves:
8 servings

Ingredients

3 pounds sweet potatoes (I used 6 large sweet potatoes)
1 cup pecans
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for preparing baking dish (I used a whole stick of butter)
3/4 cup agave syrup, preferably amber (I used 1-1/4 cups agave)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
1/4 cup whiskey (I used 3/4 cup very old whiskey)
2 cups crisp apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1-inch pieces (I didn't use apples)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and cook the potatoes whole, do not pierce. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Lightly squeeze the potatoes - if they are soft, they are done. Let cool. (I baked the potatoes the night before and let them chill in the refrigerator. Very easy to peel when chilled.)

In a small saute pan over high heat, add the pecans and lightly toast. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, reduce the heat to medium, add the agave and spices, and allow to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the whiskey and continue to simmer for 5 minutes more. (I simmered it for about 30 minutes.)

Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. Arrange the sweet potatoes, alternating with the apples. Pour the whiskey-pecan mixture over the top and place in the oven. (I refrigerated the casserole for several hours before reheating it in the oven. The rechilling of the casserole kept the potatoes from becoming mush when reheated.)

Bake for 30 minutes, basting the top with the whiskey sauce once at 15 minutes. (I didn't baste.)

----------------------------------------------------

Sausage and Herb Stuffing

2008, Ina Garten, Food Network

Serves:
8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

16 cups 1-inch bread cubes, white or sourdough (I used a box of store-bought cornbread stuffing, a box of store-bought sourdough stuffing, and half a loaf of fresh home-made wheat bread)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (I didn't use any butter)
2 cups medium-diced yellow onion (I used 3 large onions and some of my homemade onion marmalade from my garden onions)
1 cup medium-diced celery (I used a whole head of celery)
2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and large-diced (I used 2 Granny Smith and 2 red delicious apples)
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley (I didn't use parsley)
1 tablespoon kosher salt (I didn't use salt)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (I didn't use pepper)
3/4 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed (I didn't use Italian sausage, I used a Jimmy Dean sage sausage.)
1 cup chicken stock (I used a large 16 oz box of low sodium chicken stock)
1 cup dried cranberries
(I added a half-pound of cubed thick-sliced bacon with the fat)
(I added a cup of walnuts)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes. (I didn't do this step) Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Remove the bread cubes to a very large bowl.

Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes. (I combined this with the next step)

In the same saute pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables. (I browned the bacon, then the sausage and then the vegetables together in the same pan before adding it and all the fat to the bread cubes.

Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish. (I refrigerated it overnight to let the bread absorb all the flavors.) Bake for 30 minutes, (I baked it for 45 minutes) until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 09:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'll verify those were extremely delicious, and you all know me as ms. picky.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:24 pm
Does anyone still cook with (unglazed) clay pots anymore?

Or are they throughly un-vogue-ish now & stored at the back of your cupboards somewhere?

I confess I haven't used mine for ..... oh ... over two years?

Anyway, I've been looking at some healthy summer food recipes & have come across a few in my tried & trusted little clay pot recipe book. So pretty soon I will cook what's called a Shrimp & ham Jambalaya. I've cooked it before, but minus the prawns/shrimp.
And the next time I roast a chicken it will be in the clay pot.
Perfect way to cook for folk who want to reduce fat in their diet!

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:46 pm
@msolga,
I do. They are the best thing for moist-roasting of a chicken.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, agreed.
But I'd somehow totally forgotten that, Butrflynet.

What else do you regularly cook in yours?
(Trying to get some new ideas here.)
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:06 pm
@msolga,
We also have one that is a long oval shape, perfect for baking whole fish in it; especially salmon. Haven't done that since we left California though. Quality fish in New Mexico stores costs a fortune. When my neighbor and I go fishing again next summer, if we ever manage to catch anything, I'll be sure to cook it in the clay pot.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that clay pots are good for baking bread. I'm going to be making some deli rye bread this week so may try baking one of the loaves in the round clay pot to see how it comes out. I may roast several heads of garlic in it at the same time to infuse the bread with the flavor and then make a garlic spread out of it.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:08 pm
@msolga,
this type of clay pot?

http://www.thecitycook.com/cooking/advice/essential_kitchen/000015

we've had several threads here over the past couple years as people have re/discovered their clay pots
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeppers. Here is one of them:

http://able2know.org/topic/78667-1

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
there's also a thread when swimpy got one and then someone wanted to bake in them and ... some good recipes over the years

seems it comes up about every 18 - 24 months
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I have a Romertopf, ehBeth

Quote:
we've had several threads here over the past couple years as people have re/discovered their clay pots

OK, I will seek them out through an A2K search then.
Who knows, I may even have participated in some of them, a couple of years ago.

I just rediscovered mine (again!) yesterday!
0 Replies