JPB

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 06:54 pm
About a year ago Osso posted a chicken recipe that called for a clay cooker. I did a search for osso posts containing the word 'clay' but came up empty. Maybe it was a link and not a posted recipe.

Anyway, I remember thinking how good it sounded and almost bought a clay baker just to try it. Today at a yard sale I found a new clay baker for $8.00. Now I need recipes.

Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,012 • Replies: 53
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:09 pm
a romertopf?

http://fantes.com/images/romertopf_01.jpg

http://fantes.com/romertopf.htm#intro

The best thing I've ever had in a clay baker? mmmm two things - a whole chicken on top of a pile of veggies with some boozy liquid - and venison on top of a pile of veggies with red wine

a bit of an odd translation, but I can yummm taste this

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Venison%20casserole%20(geschmorte%20hirschkeule)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:15 pm
http://www.romertopfonline.com/how-to-use-romertopf-clay-bakers.html

Quote:
Most clay pots are unglazed, and before you use your pot for the first time, you should soak it for at least half an hour, so that the moisture will be retained in the foods you cook. For subsequent uses, soaking the pot for about fifteen minutes should be fine.

this looks much like what one of mrs hamburger's used to make

Clay Pot Roasted Chicken

# 4-5 lb (2-2.5 kg) roasting chicken, cut up
# 3/4 cup red wine
# 1.75 cups chicken broth
# 6 small red potatoes, chopped
# 3 large carrots, chopped
# 1/4 lb (125 gm) mushrooms, chopped
# 2 large garlic cloves, minced
# 1 green pepper (capsicum), chopped
# 1 tsp tarragon
# 1 tsp rosemary
# salt and pepper
# 1 tbsp cold water
# 1 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)

Directions
Remove skin from chicken pieces. Place all ingredients, except water and cornstarch, in the clay pot and place in the oven. Turn oven on to 480F (250C) and bake for 60 minutes. Gently remove lid from clay pot. Using a turkey baster, remove liquid from the pot into a saucepan. Continue cooking chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Make gravy by combining cold water and cornstarch. Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium heat. Add water/cornstarch mixture; stirring occasionally until gravy thickens.

Remove chicken from oven, serve chicken and vegetables with gravy. Keep the pot covered with towels while eating.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:58 pm
Oh, no, what did I say?

What I said might be one thing, perhaps very little, but my friend Richard would have you know much more. Might be that I'd forwarded some link from him, as he was very enthused about clay pots about six months ago.

As I was moving and in entire disarray then and now still, I am thinking it is his links we need to get back to.

No doubt I saved them, but probably not on this present computer. Sigh.

I'll nudge him and see if he's saved stuff, as I remember those links as being great.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 12:07 am
Damn, why did I get rid of my Romertopf when I moved to this tiny house with its midget kitchen? That clay pot roasted chicken! I want to cook it! (Am I going to have to buy another pot? They're quite expensive, as I recall.) I had one for fish, too. <sigh>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 12:16 am
OK, nag me if I forget, I'll email Richard in the morning. He's a natural a2ker, just doesn't get it yet.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:07 am
YES! That's exactly it, ehbeth. Man, that chicken looks good.

Yes, msolga, they are quite expensive which is why I didn't buy one at the time. I couldn't resist buying it for $8.

Thanks, osso.

I have a chicken in the fridge. I'll try ehbeth's chicken recipe as soon as we have a cool enough day to have the oven on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:16 am
Suddenly I remember the recipe. It was Guliano Bugialli's chicken with lemons and it was in a clay dish that was rather like a large clay pie plate. - wasn't cooked with a cover on. Back in a bit..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:26 am
Here's that other thread -
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41268&highlight=bugialli

It seems a different way of cooking than the covered clay pot thing, which I bet does well with slow braising as well as the relatively fast roasting with highish heat in ehBeth's recipe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:32 am
J_B wrote:
YES! That's exactly it, ehbeth. Man, that chicken looks good.

From the original roemertopf recipes:

- Palate-tickling poultry - delicate and juicy
- - Roast chicken
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:35 am
ehBeth wrote:

Quote:
Most clay pots are unglazed, ...

That may be true, but e.g. most of the French products are glased.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:37 am
Interesting clay pot recipe site here -
http://www.claypot.com/recipe.asp

Here's a recipe from it:

Chicken in white wine with tarragon (France)
450° F; about 1 hour
1 chicken
salt
freshly ground pepper
2 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh or 1 tablespoons dried tarragon
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon Pastis or Pernod

Before using, place both pot and cover in water in a clean sink for 15 minutes. Drain. Quarter the chicken; wash all parts, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Crush the garlic and season oil with it, brush it on the meat. Peel and quarter tomatoes and put in the drained, moist clay pot. Place chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle with tarragon, pour wine over and cover with lid. Place in cold oven. Bake at 450° F. After 30 to 40 minutes, baste with drippings, add heated wine to taste (adding cold wine can cause the pot to crack). After 60 minutes total, remove pot from oven. Beat in the sour cream and flavor the sauce with salt, pepper and Pastis. Served in France with potatoes au gratin or white bread.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 12:52 pm
Thanks all, I'm getting very hungry! I can't wait to try it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:21 am
sooooooooooo

???
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:05 pm
ehBeth wrote:
sooooooooooo

???

I know that traditionally it takes a couple of days until "Kléftiko" is ready .... on Cyprus. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:07 pm
a couple of days, two weeks ... I hoped by now JB could at least tell us if it smelled good ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:10 pm
Well, those young girls, you know ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 02:39 pm
helloooooooooooda
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:38 pm
SORRY!!!

It's still sitting on the counter (the pot, not the chicken). Two weeks ago we were in the midst of a ultra-muggy 100 degree heat wave. The thought of turning on the oven to 450 degrees was more than I could fathom. Then it cooled off in Chicago, but I went downtown for three days. Now its ultra hot again.

But you've inspired me to buy another chicken.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:10 pm
I see a clay baker - never used - good price - appearing at a yard sale.

Somewhere near Chicago.
0 Replies