Ask the A2K cooks!

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:42 pm
Speaking of Indian cuisine, MsOlga, do you happen to have a recipe for this dish or know the name of it so I can search for one?

Many years ago when I worked in downtown Oakland, a bunch of us would occassionally go to an Indian restaurant for lunch. The dishes were served banquet style on a hot cart and we served ourselves. This dish is probably a popular dish that I should know the name of but I can't think of it at the moment.

It is mostly stewed potatoes and what may be turnips, it is something else with a similar texture and taste as potatoes. The dish has a mild creamy-textured curry gravy. It has something else in it besides curry and yogurt too, maybe a bit of white wine. It is that gravy that I am interested in duplicating.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:56 pm
Borlotti, cranberry beans, I seem to remember they're the same. Don't trust me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:00 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Speaking of Indian cuisine, MsOlga, do you happen to have a recipe for this dish or know the name of it so I can search for one?

Many years ago when I worked in downtown Oakland, a bunch of us would occassionally go to an Indian restaurant for lunch. The dishes were served banquet style on a hot cart and we served ourselves. This dish is probably a popular dish that I should know the name of but I can't think of it at the moment.

It is mostly stewed potatoes and what may be turnips, it is something else with a similar texture and taste as potatoes. The dish has a mild creamy-textured curry gravy. It has something else in it besides curry and yogurt too, maybe a bit of white wine. It is that gravy that I am interested in duplicating.

No, I'm sorry, Butrflynet. Searched my memory & it doesn't ring a bell. Confused

I will have a look through my cookbooks & see if I can find a recipe that sounds a bit like it.

But I found this. (remember you started off asking about recipes including Barley? I found this in one of my old (ancient!) vego cookbooks the other day & it reminded me of your request. This is an easy one. And tasty! Very Happy :

Mushroom-Barley Soup
(6-8 serves)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup raw pearled barley

6 1/2 cups stock or water

1/2 - 1 tsp salt

3 - 4 tbs Tamari

3 - 4 tbs dry sherry

3 tbs butter

2 cloves minced garlic

1 heaping cup minced onion

1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced

Freshly ground black pepper

* Cook barley in 1 1/2 cups of the stock/water till tender (in the soup pot).

* Add the remaining stock/water, Tamari & sherry

* Saute the onions & garlic in the butter (in another pot/largish fry pan).

* when the onions have softened, add the mushrooms & 1/2 tsp salt.

* When all is tender, add this onion/mushroom mixture to the barley (in the soup pot)

* Give a generous grinding of black pepper & simmer (covered) for 20 minutes over the lowest possible heat.

* Taste to correct seasoning.

~
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:03 am
ossobuco wrote:
Borlotti, cranberry beans, I seem to remember they're the same. Don't trust me.

Ah. I thought they looked very similar, osso.

I do trust you. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
Yep. Many links, here's one - http://italianfood.about.com/od/beans/r/blr0593.htm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 03:31 pm
Mmm, that barley soup recipe does sound good. It will be next on my list to make.

I had a dream about that curried potato dish last night for some odd reason and cauliflower came to mind as possibly being the other ingredient. Don't ask me why I was dreaming about curried cauliflower! I must have a bad yearning for a good curry dish. Guess it is time to make one.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 03:36 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, Butrflynet. You make the marmalade sound so tasty I may actually get up the nerve to try it. I'll let you know if/when I do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 03:40 pm
I'm planning on making a roasted cauliflower and potato soup myself this week - already roasted the cauliflower. Curry would make sense to add...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 05:47 am
Butrflynet wrote:
..Don't ask me why I was dreaming about curried cauliflower! I must have a bad yearning for a good curry dish. Guess it is time to make one.

Oh I think it is! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:52 am
Ok, here's a challenge: a tasty dish with cabbage as a major ingredient. Any ideas? I have half a healthy looking cabbage in my fridge waiting to be transformed into something interesting. (Which I bought because I like cabbage! But have never done anything out of the ordinary with them.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:06 pm
Okay, I haven't tried all of these, but I can vouch for many of the other recipes on this website. I make many of them repeatedly.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

German Cabbage Soup

Sauteed Cabbage with Peas

Stir Fried Napa Cabbage with Pork

This stuffed cabbage recipe is from a different website and sounds very intriging. It says it is a traditional French dish and has an unusual method. You peel back each layer of leaves while they are still attached to the head by the stem. Then put the pork and sausage stuffing between each layer and fold it back up into a head of cabbage, tie it together and then braise it either in the oven or on a stove top. Once cooked, you cut it in wedges and serve.

Stuffed Cabbage Head
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:32 pm
How about a recipe for Ukranian lazy cabbage rolls, msolga?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:09 am
mckenzie wrote:
How about a recipe for Ukranian lazy cabbage rolls, msolga?

I grew up eating Ukrainian rolls, mckenzie, & trust me, watching my mother making them, it was not an easy process! :wink: Heaps of time involved! And a big kitchen was necessary, to spread things out. Me, I'm time short & have a midget kitchen in a midget house, as well. Sad, yes?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:15 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Okay, I haven't tried all of these, but I can vouch for many of the other recipes on this website. I make many of them repeatedly.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

German Cabbage Soup

Sauteed Cabbage with Peas

Stir Fried Napa Cabbage with Pork

This stuffed cabbage recipe is from a different website and sounds very intriging. It says it is a traditional French dish and has an unusual method. You peel back each layer of leaves while they are still attached to the head by the stem. Then put the pork and sausage stuffing between each layer and fold it back up into a head of cabbage, tie it together and then braise it either in the oven or on a stove top. Once cooked, you cut it in wedges and serve.

Stuffed Cabbage Head

Many thanks, Butrflynet. Very Happy

I will check out those recipes at my leisure, over the next few days. (Though not the rolls! :wink: )

Ah, how I would love a big kitchen! Lots of bench space! (sigh) My kingdom for some space!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:24 pm
Ukrainian Lazy cabbage rolls:

A popular "quickie" for busy or lazy days. This dish may be prepared in advance and popped into the oven when needed.

1 cup rice
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs

Instructions:
Wash the rice well in a sieve until the water comes off clear. Add the rice to the boiling water along with the salt and butter. Bring it to a brisk boil, stir, and let it cook for 1 minute. Lower the heat to simmer, cover the rice tightly, and let it cook for 30 minutes without removing the cover or stirring it. If processed rice is used, follow the directions on the package.

Cook the onion in the butter until tender. Add the cabbage and continue cooking just enough to wilt it. Mix in 1/2 cup of the tomato juice and reserve the rest for later use. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange the rice and cabbage in alternate layers in a buttered baking dish. Pour in the tomato juice and top with the buttered bread crumbs. Cover and bake the holubtsi in a moderate oven 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:30 pm
Just an example of the lazy recipe, if you miss the Ukrainian food, msolga. It's nothing like what my mother-in-law or your mother would make, but fills the bill if you miss the Ukrainian cooking, as Mr. M. sometimes does. It doesn't take much time or space.

I add diced bacon and cook the onion in the drippings, instead of using butter.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:33 pm
Then there's always coleslaw!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:06 am
mckenzie wrote:
Just an example of the lazy recipe, if you miss the Ukrainian food, msolga. It's nothing like what my mother-in-law or your mother would make, but fills the bill if you miss the Ukrainian cooking, as Mr. M. sometimes does. It doesn't take much time or space.

I add diced bacon and cook the onion in the drippings, instead of using butter.

Thank you, mckenzie!

Yes, I do miss good ol' home Ukrainian cooking from time to time ... My mother made it look so easy! (But, as I discovered, it isn't at all!)

So your recipe for easy cabbage rolls cabbage rools is most welcome! I'm gonna do it! The version with diced bacon, I think.Very Happy

So Mr M is Ukrainian, too? What is his favourite Ukrainian food?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:06 am
I found a recipe that sounds similar to what I remember of the curried potatoes and cauliflower dish in that restaurant. It isn't an authentic curry, but comes close enough with the curry powder. The only thing different I would do is add a quarter cup of coconut milk in place of 1/4 cup of the cooking water and add a couple of diced carrots in with the potatoes. That would make it just about right.

Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes (Aloo Gobi)

4 medium potatoes, cut in 1 inch pieces
4 cups water
1 1/2 Tablespoons oil
1 head cauliflower, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion, diced

Add potatoes to cold water in a large saute pan, cover and bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water before draining potatoes and setting them aside in a bowl. Wipe pan clean.

Add oil and onions to the pan. Add cauliflower and saute until cauliflower is almost tender. Return cooked potatoes to the pan.

In a bowl mix:
1-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1/2 cup cooking water

Add this to the cauliflower, potatoes and onions, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half before serving.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:05 pm
mckenzie wrote:
Ukrainian Lazy cabbage rolls:

A popular "quickie" for busy or lazy days. This dish may be prepared in advance and popped into the oven when needed.

1 cup rice
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs

Instructions:
Wash the rice well in a sieve until the water comes off clear. Add the rice to the boiling water along with the salt and butter. Bring it to a brisk boil, stir, and let it cook for 1 minute. Lower the heat to simmer, cover the rice tightly, and let it cook for 30 minutes without removing the cover or stirring it. If processed rice is used, follow the directions on the package.

Cook the onion in the butter until tender. Add the cabbage and continue cooking just enough to wilt it. Mix in 1/2 cup of the tomato juice and reserve the rest for later use. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange the rice and cabbage in alternate layers in a buttered baking dish. Pour in the tomato juice and top with the buttered bread crumbs. Cover and bake the holubtsi in a moderate oven 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes.

these lazy holubtsi feature in the book I'm reading right now
0 Replies