So, I got laid off :-(

hamburger

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:33 pm
montana :
rather than waiting to be called for an interview by the canada employment office , you might want to pay them a visit and try to find a good counsellor early on .
having someone you can tlak to about your educational plans early in the game might be well worth your while .
my experience has been that having someone from UE on my side early on is better than trying to get things straightened out later on - particularly if any hitches should develop .
wishing you good luck in furthering your education !
hbg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:24 pm
Thanks you guys. I appreciate it very much.

Beth, I live in what they consider a seasonal area where many are on unemployment year after year and they are not strict about them looking for work because they already have jobs that will be starting back up after the seasonal job opens back up for the season, like when I was at the shop.
The reasons why I took this last job were because #1. I wanted a full time job. #2. I couldn't afford the gas it was costing me to get to my other job 30 minutes away. #3. I wanted to go back to work the night shift which is the only shift I applied for. #4. Because of an old back injury I need to do labour work, meaning my body needs to be moving and I can't take a job where I'm standing still or sitting. #5. I was working 4 nights a week, 10 hours, which is what I prefer.
I would have to drive 30 minutes minimum in the middle of the night to get to the nearest job that is similar to the one I had and it would cost me even more in gas than it did when I was at the lobster shop.
I say I'm not looking, but I am helping look for something for my son, so I'm there and I see what's available in jobs.
For what I see, travel time to most places is 45-60 minutes and that's just too far for me to be driving in the middle of the night and would be much to costly for me in gas.
Believe me, if there were anything else available in this area, I'd already be working there. I hate it when I'm not working. Work is in my blood.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:21 am
You know, if you just dropped the word "off" from the title of this thread, you might feel better. Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:32 am
I'm sure you're right Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 02:32 am
.... but that doesn't help address the challenges in front of you, Ms M! :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:20 pm
No doubt, Olga ;-)