So, I got laid off :-(

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 09:49 am
Hi Montana! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 04:50 pm
Hey, you guys :-D I honestly don't know where the time went. I started working in the house and all of a sudden it's 2 months later.
I do have to make a point of dropping in here more, though. I miss this place.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:51 am
Finally, after 4 1/2 months, I recieved my unemployment. Last year I never got anything retro active, so I didn't think it was, but they gave me all the back time this time and now I can pay off the bank loan I had to take to cover my butt through these long months of waiting.

Phew! That's a huge load off my back.

I'm breathing easier today :-D
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
Montana--

After the loan is paid, I hope there was a bit extra for a little frivolity.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:05 pm
So what's the plan for the future, job-wise?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:59 am
Noddy, now that you mention it, I did have a bit extra to put towards things I wanted for the house and I went to the thrift shop to buy myself a new wardrobe ;-)

Kicky,
Now that I have an open unemployment claim, I qualify for a program here where I can collect my unemployment for up to 3 years if I go to university, so that's where I'm headed.
I'm going to sit back until the winter before I apply, because I'm doing tons of work in my house and this is the last chance I'll have to do it before I start school/work.
They made me wait 4 months for my unemployment, so now I fully intend on milking it for all it's worth.
I quit my part time job to take on a full time job, where they pretty much assured me there would be no lay offs and I paid dearly for it, so now they can pay for me for a while ;-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:20 am
It's the same program the Canucks use for healthcare. If you need an operation, you go do something else for three years until they can squeeze you in.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:29 am
You guys have similar programs in the states and as far as the health care goes, nothing is perfect. Personally, whenever there's something wrong with me, I never wait any longer here to be treated than I did over there.
I don't know anyone here so far who has died from waiting for surgery, so as usual, some folks simply must stir the pot.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:35 am
I'm glad things have finally worked out for you, Montana. Enjoy your summer!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:42 am
M - it was supposed to be a joke..
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:48 am
Montana, so glad it worked out for you. I can imagine how anxious you must have been all the time you had to wait for the unemployment to come through. And, buying a new wardrobe is ALways fun! Enjoy it!

I think it's smart of you to go to school! Another degree or three can never hurt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:54 am
Montana - don't wait to apply for any educational programs you're interested in.

Seriously.

Start the process as soon as you can.

~~~

Are they requiring you to provide details of your current search for employment? If not yet, be prepared for it - and comply thoroughly.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
And just think how much fun the hot tub will be once you get that massage therapist degree! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:35 pm
JPB wrote:
I'm glad things have finally worked out for you, Montana. Enjoy your summer!

Thanks JPB :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:35 pm
cjhsa wrote:
M - it was supposed to be a joke..

Ok Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:39 pm
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Montana, so glad it worked out for you. I can imagine how anxious you must have been all the time you had to wait for the unemployment to come through. And, buying a new wardrobe is ALways fun! Enjoy it!

I think it's smart of you to go to school! Another degree or three can never hurt.

Thanks Heatwave. It was stressful, but my bank was very helpful and it doesn't hurt to have good credit, phew!

I bought the wardrobe at the local thrift shop, but they're all new to me, so I'm happy with my new/used closet :-D

Am looking forward to school for sure and you're right, it won't hurt me one bit :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Montana - don't wait to apply for any educational programs you're interested in.

Seriously.

Start the process as soon as you can.

~~~

Are they requiring you to provide details of your current search for employment? If not yet, be prepared for it - and comply thoroughly.

Thanks for the tips, Beth. They do not require anything from us so far, except we have to report our hours every 2 weeks and since there are no other production jobs on the night shift anywhere within a 30 minute drive, I'm not really looking.
I have 36 months from the time I opened my claim to qualify for the program, so there's no major rush.
As much as I hate collecting unemployment, this is the last chance I have to get some needed things done around here and when I finish school, I'll be off of unemployment forever.
Some people here have been living off unemployment all their lives and I don't know how they do it. It could never be enough for me.

Thanks again :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:52 pm
cjhsa wrote:
And just think how much fun the hot tub will be once you get that massage therapist degree! Smile

So why am I buying power tools on sale? I wonder what I'll do with my skill saw Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:56 pm
I share ehBeth's concerns that you are supposed to be looking for a job now. They care if you prefer the night shift? thirty minutes? (seems luxurious to a Los Angeles person). Maybe it all works differently there than I've heard about.

I too would look into education sooner than later.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:13 pm
You may have 36 months to qualify for the program - have you confirmed what you need to qualify? given the unemployment rate in your area, there are likely to be some hoops to jump through to get into specific programs.

Also - clarify that they're ok with the limits you've set for your employment search before they get on your case. I can tell you that it definitely wouldn't fly in Ontario. If there's ANYTHING you qualify for here, you have to be applying and interviewing, or they cut you off. After a certain period, they require you to attend programs that you might not want to part of - especially as they'll mean daytime hours and travel you don't care for. Stay ahead of their game.

The local locals know the routine - you need to learn it to protect yourself.
0 Replies