3 year old kicked off plane for temper tantrum

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:27 pm
Yes, I imagine it does lie between... and another question - was the little monster scared of flying or just throwing a fit? Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:30 pm
Mame wrote:
Yes, I imagine it does lie between... and another question - was the little monster scared of flying or just throwing a fit? Smile

According to the parents - she flew down to FL no problem and the next day she flew no problem. Sounds like just a fit. Thank goodness my monsters are a little bit older now and easier to reason with.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:31 pm
Ha - just wait till they're teens! Smile That's a whole other ball game.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:33 pm
Mame wrote:
Ha - just wait till they're teens! Smile That's a whole other ball game.

I once asked my daughter what she wanted to be when she grew up - she said a teenager.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:07 pm
Poor thing - if she only knew Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:10 pm
I just watched the video. Reminds me of why I hate tv (when I hate it, which isn't all the time.) Everyone all so gushy goo.

The other sources are emphasizing the crying, but Soz's yahoo link said the airline say it was about her not getting in the seat.

I suppose it's a communication lesson for the airlin, in more ways than one..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:52 pm
My sympathies are with the airline.

Suppose a situation had come up that required an emergency landing.

The three year old doesn't want to leave the plane--and her parents are "understanding" the three year old, ignoring both the emergency and the other passengers.

One of the ways that a village is very useful in raising a child is letting the parents know when their approach to controling that child is unacceptable.
Villages have never been chock-a-block with sweetness and understanding for brats.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:05 pm
Hear, hear, Noddy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:12 pm
There are kids who are basically well mannered, but sometimes throw a hissy fit. Then there are others, where most of their waking life is getting ready to having a fit, having a fit, and getting over it.

Every parent knows which type of child that they have. I would blame the parents of a child who has chronic tantrums if they don't have the good sense to keep the child out of situations where their behavior would be a major disturbance to other people.

Then again, one wonders about the correlation between children who are perpetually miserable, and poor parenting.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:29 pm
Flying is stressful for young children. If the flight was delayed after they boarded, that means they sat there breathing nasty stale air in cramped quarters. Nobody enjoys such an experience, but I imagine for a child who may have already had a stressful day it could send her into a hissy.

The parents should have yanked her out from under the seat and buckled her in. Is there a chance that they didn't realize seriousness of the situation? Did they know the plane was about to take off?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:32 pm
Flying isn't stressful for all children; some very young ones go to sleep, others read a book or colour... I agree with Phoe who suggested some kids are prone to this type of behaviour for whatever reasons... and some are not. And as for the correlation, well, if the shoe fits...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:39 pm
I think travel in general is stressful for all children, and all adults for that matter. Some of us handle it better than others. Some of us are having better days than others. If all the kid had to do all day was to sit on a plane, then that's not such a big deal. But that's not how air travel works. More likely, the kid has been rushing around with her parents, standing in long lines to check bags, long lines through security, no time for a nap, no time for a snack, now sit and wait, tick, tick, tick... that's stressful for everyone. Not to mention the sensory overload that comes from just being in an airport. Clearly this kid wasn't able to handle it on this day.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:40 pm
Oh yeah, and if she is 3 within four months of turning of 4 then she is probably prone to defiance and tantrums anyway.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 08:02 pm
Quote:
Clearly this kid wasn't able to handle it on this day.

The kid was being a three year old kid, driven beyond reason.

The clueless parents were hung up on Sweet, Ineffective Reason. They didn't want to be parents--they wanted the kid to cure herself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 08:05 pm
I am a well seasoned traveler. I spent two years of my life on planes. Really.

The first time Mo and I flew together was without doubt one of the top 5 most stressful events of my life.

It might even be one of Mo's top 20 or so.

Now we have traveled enough together that he is pretty good about it but being strapped into a seat for 5 hours is still more than he can bear. It takes all of my physical and mental energy to get us there.

In my opinion, traveling with children is insanely stressful.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:08 pm
On the other hand, my mom and dad took five of us under the age of six to England and back with nary a complaint... the way out was a boat (how many weeks would that be?) and I can't remember coming back. Obviously not an issue for us.

I took a four yr old across Canada all the way to NFLD via train - 7 days... and to Yellowknife on a bus - 3 days... nary a complaint.

Figure it out for yourselves.

Not every kid misbehaves in public.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:11 pm
And what year was that?

I loved to fly when I was younger. It was like going to a two star restaurant. Way more posh than life at home. Now it's a Greyhound bus that flies with a lot of security.

I could put Mo on a train until the end of time and he would be as happy as a clam.

Apples and oranges.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:17 pm
The year is irrelevant. It's all about the parenting. What will and will not be tolerated.

I suspect in this case the little girl is a prima donna, "prone" to hissy fits. In my family, that was not allowed. Ditto when we all had kids.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:46 pm
Boats and trains are way less stressful means of travel for children (and adults). Still, I can't help but think that your memory of those travels might be a tad rosier than the actual events.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:55 pm
Boats and trains are less stressful for some people.

Not all.

~~~~~

I think Noddy and Mame have nailed this one.
0 Replies