How did you choose your wedding day?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:03 am
On a 13nd - my wife thinks it's her lucky number (or similar :wink: ).

Actually, I don't remember why it was May - but there certainly was a reason for that as well Embarrassed
(It was some weeks after my dad died - but he new that date before. And it was a very small wedding: just the two of us and two friends.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:12 am
A lot of us seem to have anniversaries in May.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 06:14 am
jespah wrote:

But with different partners. Mostly, at least :wink:
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:39 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
jespah wrote:

But with different partners. Mostly, at least :wink:

I checked with my wife and she denies knowing you.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:49 am
We got the save the date card from Heather and Kevin yesterday. They will be married on 07-14-07.

I thought to myself "Lucky son of a bitch, you can't forget a date like that."

Joe(02-26-86/ we were both free that weekend.)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:51 am
George wrote:

That can be changed easily in June :wink:
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
Joe Nation wrote:
...we were both free that weekend...

I love it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:01 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
George wrote:

That can be changed easily in June :wink:

Unlikely, I'm afraid.
She isn't on A2K and doesn't want to go to any gatherings.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:16 pm
mrs h and i received our immigration visa in april 1956 - it was good for 120 days i believe - should check the passport ; it's in the safe deposit box .
so we had to book passage and get married in a relatively short time .
we booked our passage on a small dutch freighter and thereafter went to the "standesamt" (registrar's office) to book the wedding .
we picked the best available date , which was may 17 .
mrs h's parents threw - certainly for those days - quite a lavish wedding for family , neighbours and friends - there probably were about 60 - 80 people .
since the in-laws had a car rental business , transportation in an "opel-kadett" didn't cost us anything :wink: .
we left the party around 10pm to catch the train to cuxhaven(a holiday resort and port on the german north-sea coast) for our honeymoon .

upon returning from our honeymoon mrs h had to apply for a new german passport since - of course - she had changed her name .
our first "cruise" started at the end of july from rotterdam on the ms. prins willem III .
we had our own cabin on the bridge-deck and felt like royalty - dinner at the captain's table ! (no immigrant ship for us !)
the cruise took us to le havre first and two weeks later we landed in montreal - and the rest is history .
hbg
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 04:21 pm
My wife entered the country on a prospective marriage visa. Between the government, and my ability to get holidays from work for a honeymoon, it was chosen for us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 04:32 pm
On a certain birthday of mine, we decided to get married. We already had owned a house together for approaching three years. That was in late October. We didn't want to do this at holiday time, always this vast driving back and forth to relatives scenario, so chose January. The twelveth sounded good, but that was a friend's birthday (so-called maid of honor in our v. small wedding), so we picked the 6th, heh, the Epiphany.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 04:45 pm
The wedding date pretty much picked itself for us - it was the most convenient weekend for the majority of folks interested in being there. All in all, I guess it was a Pretty Good Day.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 06:45 pm
We just wanted it done asap after mr cypher proposed, so we just picked the first weekend that worked for our schedules and then had to wait for the only officiant in the county to get back from her vacation. So it ended up being late October just by default. Not a very romantic story! Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:17 pm
cyphercat wrote:
We just wanted it done asap after mr cypher proposed, so we just picked the first weekend that worked for our schedules and then had to wait for the only officiant in the county to get back from her vacation. So it ended up being late October just by default. Not a very romantic story! Smile

Yeah, that and the kittens were due any day.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:27 pm
My wedding was speedily accomplished, no kittens in line.
No clue re cypher on that - and not my business.

Speed isn't all so tagged to need, re romance. On drugs, of course it is, but not what we are talking about.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 04:20 pm
Chai wrote:
cyphercat wrote:

Well, that's what I told him, anyway.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 04:39 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Chai wrote:
cyphercat wrote:

Well, that's what I told him, anyway.

Bad Kitty! Laughing
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 03:47 am
Immigration said we had to get married in 90 days .. but we waited til the very last minute for (1) my father's health to improve so he could cope with the 15 hr flight to get here in time, and (2) the right place.

(1) my father had to go into hospital but he insisted we go ahead without him. I was very sad about that. He wrote a wonderful speech instead, which my husband read out at our wedding dinner & everyone was in tears (happy tears I might add!).

(2) we found a tiny building perched on a clifftop overlooking the ocean.

With only days to spare b4 the immigration deadline was up, we got married. It sounds rather dramatic but everything fell into place without fuss.

Further, it sounds totally cliched, but my wedding day really was the happiest day of my life. I used to laugh at people who said that - now I know what they meant. It was an outstanding day.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:27 am
We got engaged in November and even though we wanted to get married soon, we did not want a marriage in winter. So we chose June 6 which is the Swedish national day. It was also a Friday and this all made it easier for the Swedish part of the family to come to Germany.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 02:56 am
[quote="hamburger"]mrs h and i received our immigration visa in april 1956 - it was good for 120 days i believe - should check the passport ; it's in the safe deposit box .
[/quote]

Well happy belated golden anniversary, dear hamburger.
Oder soll ich lieber nachträglich alles Gute zur Goldenen Hochzeit wünschen?
0 Replies