Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:52 pm
I was posting very seriously about the situation in Liberia, type, type, type, and I heard this amazing noise. Was it traffic? Was it my smoke alarm off key, was it the water heater about to explode, no, no...............it was Pacco, in a sustained howl-sing. I rushed to the dining room, where he was lying there depositing hair, and singing in a horizontal fashion. Was he asleep? I didn't see his eyes first and by the time I got close he was starting to look up. Was this a howlsinging dream? I have had him two and a half years and never heard this! Too wonderful!

Reminds me of the Boston gathering thread, about humans singing with animals...

anyway, does your dog howl, awake or asleep?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,216 • Replies: 19
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:54 pm
Im going to have to get back to you with experiment in progress regarding female cats and howling but...if I had a dog Im sure I could hlep out in that regard as well Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:10 pm
Bailey occasionally howls and yips and runs in his sleep.
He's only howled once while awake, that I know about. Setanta was coming to visit, and Bailey and I were sitting on the sofa by the window watching for him. All of a sudden, Setanta's jeep drove by the house and kept on going. Bailey ran to the door and started to howl, then ran back to me, gave me a dirty look and really howled loudly. It was as if he was trying to call in an errant member of the pack.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:30 pm
bootsie used to howl when she was very young - when I'd leave her side, she'd make her little lips form a little 'o' and howl away - so endearing!

Now she'll hum a bit when she's really begging.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:35 pm
Have had sleeping dogs that yipped and moaned and twitched and "ran" lying on their sides. Chase dreams?

Current cat snores and groans in his sleep.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:37 pm
Both my cat and my dog snore while they sleep.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:10 pm
Stereo snoring from your dormant duo LOL. But if dog and cat could/would rat you out, might there be a trio?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:01 am
They will also howl when they hear police and fire sirens. Seems quite an involuntary reflex. Maybe this on is in their dreams; maybe they hear something you don't.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:16 am
Ever walk by the kennels and howl really loud to get the whole place going? Um, me neither. :-) How about when you go dog-sledding and 300 doghouses are spread across a huge field? Nope, no. Don't get them all howling just because you get the urge! That's not good.

Friend of mine was really close to her terrier, took lots of training and classes together. When the pup had chasing dreams or twitchy nightmares, she'd hold her hand just in front of his nose. I think her scent made the dog place her into the dream, and made everything go better.

Confidence and trust when the owner is near.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:21 am
I used to have a cat who talked in her sleep. The one I have now is a silent sleeper. No howling from either--while asleep.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:37 am
No, but I once barked back at a lab, Codeborg. He was chained to three concrete blocks and I was soon being chased down the street by one really large black dog, closely followed by three concrete blocks.

Hey, I was much younger then.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:40 am
Okay...Zoey thinks Im the devil. I howled at her and she looked at me like Ive never seen before...eyes went all black ears all perked up..and then she started running around like I had given her an extra large dose of catnip. At one point she came close and gave a big sniff in my direction then off she went all nutty like. Poor thing..think I traumatized her.
Cleo on the other hand well, just looked over her shoulder at me seemingly waiting for the next silly move, or she was so scared she was frozen..hard to tell with her.
Zoey snores incredibly loud at times and will on occassion have those strange sleeping noises and running dreams. Cleo just plops down and out without noise however, before she does she has this kneeding thing that is accompanied by a range of purring that includes this strange little cry..cant explain it really but, first cat Ive heard do that.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:45 am
When our Otis was a pup, he howled something fierce -- so much so that we suspected his father might have been a coon hound, which would have been consistent with his markings.

He very rarely howls now that he's grown, though sometimes he'll sing a little bit when we come if we don't say hi to him right away. He makes all kinds of horrible cattle dog/dingo type noises when he's playing, though. We sometimes have to assure people that nothing's wrong, he just does that.

He's very responsive if I howl at him, though. Works a lot better than calling him over.

The other one's pretty quiet except for the occasional barking fit at drunk people in hats.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:11 am
I thought this was going to be about dogs singing Allen Ginsburg poetry.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:16 am
I've got a record of him doing Kaddish and Howl. You know he doesn't howl a single time?

I'd take my dog over Ginsburg (Allen or Ruth Bader) any day of the week.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:31 am
Pacco's one howl didn't sound worrisome, not about sirens...it started on one note and rose to another, which he sustained a long time. Really quite wild sounding. Well, he must have been guarding sheep or cattle in his dreams, was lying on the grass on some moor in Wales.. I don't think he was warning about a wolf outside, as he usually just barks about those.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:43 pm
My friend stocked up on doggie valium...seems the howling nervous biting thing comes out this time of year...fireworks seem to have some bad effect on him.....
funny my dog it never really bothered although at the start he'd be all excited and then would just go find someplace a bit more quiet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:00 pm
Well, dear Pacco is pretty dog phobic at the best of times, goes stark bananas when he is in my car or at work seeing a dog out the window...

but in the house, his best effort is a series of woo woo woofs. This was unusual... and didn't sound like fear, it sounded like blues singing, at the same time not really unhappy sounding. Clear bell tone....and long lasting. My, he has good lungs. And it is the only time I have heard it from him. He has lots of vocal phrasing....this was a new one.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:06 pm
Thunder and fireworks used to send my dogs under the diningroom table where they would DIG with great desperation. A food offering made them much mellower.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 02:08 am
Speaking of fireworks...

Pacco and I are lucky as he is pretty phlegmatic about them...something of a surprise from Mr. Big Ears. But I met a whole bunch of individual people this evening talking about their dogs going bananas last night. So Fireworks must be a big problem for some dog owners.

I had to let Pacco out around ten pm for his nightly hygenic, and there he was, in almost perfect perpendicular to me, happily squattiing, as the cannons roared, the sparkles blasted off and off again. What a panoply for my little guy's poops.
0 Replies