Severe A2K Performance Problems

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:12 pm
Intrepid wrote:
It seems that I picked the right time to be absent. I seem to have missed the slowdowns. :wink:

Although the problems seem to have gotten worse lately, I had been noticing them for a long time.

Interesting, though. I am not usually on A2K at this hour (11 pm est), and now the site apparently is moving along merrily.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:31 pm
Intrepid wrote:
It seems that I picked the right time to be absent. I seem to have missed the slowdowns. :wink:

You won't have to wait long before they pop up again.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:14 am
It's moving at warp speed at the moment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:44 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:
I have a variety of jigsaw puzzle sites.

What others are there besides the ones on Pogo?

I love jigsaw puzzles.

Shockwave has some great jigsaw puzzles. I've been doing the daily one for (when did things really start slowing down?) a while.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:13 pm
i'm quite sure that 'time-of-day' has somthing to do with access speed -
wouldn't it simply be a competition for access ports ?
i have noticed at other web-sites that they are slow to access at certain times - access to financial sites(stock market quotes) is often slow bewteen 3 and 5 pm , i find .
hbg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:35 pm
Debacle wrote:
Did someone say there's a hamster problem?

Poor hamster!

Someone must have oiled up that wheel...that was mean!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:04 pm
For starters:

http://www.jigzone.com/

http://www.dottysvirtualjigsaws.com/

http://fell2earth.com/content.php?cid=1002

http://www.puzzlehouse.com/_onlinepuzzles/onlinepuzzlesmain.htm
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:01 pm
Oh, be nice it is not that slow. If it were sex no one would be complaining (that is what I heard anyway).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
maybe i should give the hamsters some crack..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:58 pm
Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I just posted a comment to a thread. It seemed to be "stuck in transit" for quite some time after I clicked submit. So I checked New Posts, just in case. No, not there. Not in Your Posts, either.

So I went back to the thread to try to post again. And there was my post, already there! However still no record of it in either New Posts or Your Posts lists. Confused

It's getting rather confusing as you can't tell for certain whether you've actually posted or not.

10 minutes later:

I got a "critical error" response when I just tried to post this! Laughing

THEN went back to the tread I'd been trying to post to (Still no mention of my post in New Posts) & discovered my message there, in triplicate! Shocked

THEN (trying to do the right thing) I tried to remove 2 of the repeat posts with the X button.

NO GO!

"You cannot remove a post that has already been responded to" (It hadn't)

Tried again, 3 times. The same "You cannot remove a post .... etc " message three times!

So sorry to clutter up your thread, nimh, but I can't remove them. Hell, I was just bookmarking! Laughing

OK, all this does not auger well!
I can tell when I've been beaten & this is one of those times.

I'll try, just one more time to post this message, then I'm outa here for now!

A girl could lose her marbles ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 03:45 pm
Okay, hopefully now all is solved :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 03:47 pm
Time will tell...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:00 pm
In the long-term A2K's viability is tied to the next version I've been developing (admittedly, the development hasn't moved in 2 months).

In the short term performance can probably best be solved with a huge chunk of RAM.

If the server can load the whole database into RAM then there will likely be a LOT less in way of sluggishness and "cannot connect to the database" issues.

I've not added more RAM primarily because of the cost. Right now my discretionary spending is going toward the next version of A2K in the form of development. Moving to Costa Rica has also added a lot of costs (I have bought a car here for e.g.) and I was banking on doing it all with the next version of A2K (which will be less resource intensive as well as more efficiently monetized).

But it seems it's a pretty bothersome issue for end users so I'm going to put it to the users. The RAM to make the site run more smoothly will cost about 200 dollars a month. I don't want to run this site as contribution ware (i.e. accepting donations) but if the members want the ram I will do so.

P.S. - It may hit rough patches and even decline a bit, but I'm not going to let A2K die for lack of interest (mine) nor am I going to ever desist in my dreams of making it much better. And the rough patches are a simple matter of resources so I figure this is the easiest way to solve it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:05 pm
Sounds good to me.

And I'm in for a contribution.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:06 pm
Where can I send my contribution?

Craven, my small contribution wouldn't be charity. We have two more months of Official Winter in the mountains and my small contribution would be an investment in my magnificent mental health.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:10 pm
Thanks for all your effords, Craven, and for explaining it!

Craven de Kere wrote:
But it seems it's a pretty bothersome issue for end users so I'm going to put it to the users. The RAM to make the site run more smoothly will cost about 200 dollars a month. I don't want to run this site as contribution ware (i.e. accepting donations) but if the members want the ram I will do so.

I could imagine that most of the old subscribers will re-join and with a couple of new ones added ...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:12 pm
Good man, Craven.

Valuable stuff.

McTag
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:15 pm
I know you won't let it go, CdK.

It might be better to add the ram cushion, re keeping the core community together in the meantime, but then again maybe not as we're a stubborn group. For those with dialup, it must've been like waltzing through taffy lately, as it's been sluggish with dsl.

I don't get to vote, as I can't donate this go-round. Not sure though if I still am, re subscribing; in my memory, that was curtailed, wasn't it? (You can tell I don't stare at my bills with a magnifying glass - hard to when I put them at the opposite end of the room in the avoid corner.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:17 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Thanks for all your effords, Craven, and for explaining it!
I could imagine that most of the old subscribers will re-join and with a couple of new ones added ...

Absolutely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:18 pm
On the other hand, if it's just resubscribing, I can work that out.
0 Replies