Severe A2K Performance Problems

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:02 pm
ohhhh poor lil TTH Crying or Very sad Come an have a hug sweetie. ((((((((TTH)))))).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:11 pm
Tth, I don't know anything about those threads. I do see you being super sensitive about your every word, lest you speak wrongly in some way. Get a grip, you don't need to be so reactive. Some of the people chatting happily here are deeply opposed philosophically with each other, all that well discussed up the kazoo.

I do pick up that you tend to think all is about you - it simply isn't. There is discussion over time, and it flows.

Most of us are still learning about ourselves, at whatever age, working out our own thinking. Some of us have learned from our most adamant opposition, or from tossed out lines from a poster we don't know.

Please rest from the sense of the world at attack (however true or not), and engage calm with yourself.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:58 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
You don't need to feel confused.
There were no insults yet. I was just trying to keep people from insulting me. Today is not a good day for me. You can go to the marlboro thread and read. I am just tired of being insulted. I have feelings but apparently I should not express them. I am just tired of the cruelty aimed at me when I do not try to be cruel. That is the last thing I want to do. I make mistakes though and I apologize when I do. I guess having feelings is not accepted. Expressing those feeling is even worse. That is what I have learned here. Just hide and keep everything inside.

What? What the hell is the marlboro thread? TTH, I gotta tell you, when you come to this forum (it's called Forum Help) and this thread (it's about performance issues) and start talking the way you're talking in this post and assume that everyone here is, has, or will insult you without explanation, you're setting yourself up for some bizarre feedback.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:20 pm
Exactly "forum help" so that is what I have tried to do is be helpful.
but there are some that find nothing more amusing than try to hurt me.
Today I just got tired of it. I never said everyone is has or will. Why do I need to explain anything? If I explain than I do set myself up. All I have truly tried to do is be helpful and see the positive because I know what it feels like to need help and no one help me. I come in at night to try and see what I can answer for people that have asked a question and then to see
57+ views and not one reply. Sometimes I don't know the answer that they ask but then I might just let them know I cannot help them. I at least acknowledge that they asked. It is the same when you walk in the store and the clerk does not look at you or even let you know they saw you. That is what I see. People ignored and not even an acknowledment but a lot of views. Maybe it is helpful to just let them know someone cared enough to say I do not have the answer. If I went to a forum and asked a question and no one ever responded I would not go back. Why go back to be ignored?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:22 pm
I was on my way to this thread to say how well things were going. I tried to post and got my first critical error of the day. Otherwise things are good. One error. No logging in. No freezing out. No paralyzed computer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:25 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
nimh wrote:
I hate uninformative information..

That was a good one. I actually get it too. I did not know you had this sense of humor.

He's not kidding. He really hates that.

I was joking, of course.. language joke. Cool that TTH got it.

And Craven - thankee, thankee very much!!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:30 pm
i wonder if there's a correlation between the post-RAM critical errors for users with dial-up vs. users with faster connections...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:33 pm
Hmmm...this thread's getting interesting...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:40 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
I come in at night to try and see what I can answer for people that have asked a question and then to see 57+ views and not one reply. Sometimes I don't know the answer that they ask but then I might just let them know I cannot help them. [..] That is what I see. People ignored and not even an acknowledment but a lot of views. [..] If I went to a forum and asked a question and no one ever responded I would not go back. Why go back to be ignored?

TTH, the ratio of posts:views is about 1:10, on average, for a number of reasons. It doesnt necessarily mean that 9 people looked in and didnt bother to respond.

For example, if you look into a thread, then post an answer (thus reloading the page), and later check in what the next person posted, thats already 3 views.

Theres also people who do a Google search that brings up an A2K thread, that may or may not be relevant to their search, and who are not registered to a2k anyway and thus can not reply.

Then there's "spiders" - the search engine computers that scour the net, registering each thread and page - no living person behind them, but they rack up views too.

So really, you can chill :wink: . A lot of what you seem to see as offensive has other explanations.

Also of course, there's nothing offensive about not responding if you check out a question and find you dont know the answer.

If I ask a question about quantum physics, for example (not that I would), I dont really expect, or to be honest, even want replies that say, "well, uhm, I dont know either". I mean, unless they're just bookmarking because they want to know the answer too. Because I'd be looking for info, not sympathy. (Different if it's a thread in relationships & marriage of course.)

Relax, smile.. we're all good folk here Smile
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:41 pm
It was me.
I upset tth.
I gave my opinion.
It wasn't asked for, so my bad.
I just don't get it, okay?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:47 pm
You're cool, Caribou. I was reading your post on the ciggie thread earlier today. You're cool.

~~~~

Region - I'm on dial-up, and everything seems fine since the RAM increase.

smooooooooth and cool as an icy chocolate shake
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:52 pm
thanks for your imput, ehbeth.

And yes, everything is running silky smooth on A2K.

Sometimes though the Marlboro thread. When you try to click on the last page, it says that there are no posts, and then you need to go back a page to see things....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:09 pm
I'm on dial-up and haven't had a single error message today. Things are purring very smoothly. The hamsters must be content.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:25 pm
nimh wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:
I come in at night to try and see what I can answer for people that have asked a question and then to see 57+ views and not one reply. Sometimes I don't know the answer that they ask but then I might just let them know I cannot help them. [..] That is what I see. People ignored and not even an acknowledment but a lot of views. [..] If I went to a forum and asked a question and no one ever responded I would not go back. Why go back to be ignored?

TTH, the ratio of posts:views is about 1:10, on average, for a number of reasons. It doesnt necessarily mean that 9 people looked in and didnt bother to respond.

For example, if you look into a thread, then post an answer (thus reloading the page), and later check in what the next person posted, thats already 3 views.

Theres also people who do a Google search that brings up an A2K thread, that may or may not be relevant to their search, and who are not registered to a2k anyway and thus can not reply.

Then there's "spiders" - the search engine computers that scour the net, registering each thread and page - no living person behind them, but they rack up views too.

So really, you can chill :wink: . A lot of what you seem to see as offensive has other explanations.

Also of course, there's nothing offensive about not responding if you check out a question and find you dont know the answer.

If I ask a question about quantum physics, for example (not that I would), I dont really expect, or to be honest, even want replies that say, "well, uhm, I dont know either". I mean, unless they're just bookmarking because they want to know the answer too. Because I'd be looking for info, not sympathy. (Different if it's a thread in relationships & marriage of course.)

Relax, smile.. we're all good folk here Smile

The truth - you (not literally) assume things about people. Just like assuming what you wrote above. I know that 57 views does not mean 57 people looked at the question. I can read in the Help Section/FAQ & TOS. I just used that as a number. Also, you can look at someone's question and give a suggestion on how they can find the answer. Or how about answering a question posed by someone who has a thread to be left hanging not even knowing if you have the right answer. Me as an example. How is that helping. Sometimes you treat people like they are stupid. Me as an example. I am not saying all these things for attention. You want an example so I am telling you how I have been treated. Ask a question and if others do not like the question make posts that run page after page saying cruel things even after the administrator has said it is answered/resolved. Me, another example. That is what I see. Why would someone want to come to a help forum to be treated this way? I come back because I gave my word to someone that I would not leave. I keep my word or else I would have left by now. I rather be kind than cruel.
This is not the purpose of this thread but where do I respond when you make a statement like that. I added that sentence because if I did not then someone would most likely have said it. Me as an example.
Caribou you have not been nice in the least. What an act if I ever saw one. What do you not get. I do not believe that at all. You initiate things.
Then you act innocent. I cannot believe how you fool people or that they even fall for it.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:40 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:

Caribou you have not been nice in the least. What an act if I ever saw one. What do you not get. I do not believe that at all. You initiate things.
Then you act innocent. I cannot believe how you fool people or that they even fall for it.

I'll let my posts speak for themselves.
I'm sorry if my observations and opinions have offended you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 09:46 pm
Sorry, TTH, you've lost me.. I dont really understand what you're saying exactly anymore.

If I look at A2K I see an internet community of people who, voluntarily, without getting any money or any other reward for it, go out and answer questions for people.

Sure not every question gets answered. But every question that does get answered, gets answered because someone voluntarily took the time and effort to do so. And every question answered is at least one.

Sure, just like on any webpage, you have to sift through "noise" - in this case, people posting jokes, chatting, or saying that they dont know the answer either - to get to the answers you were looking for. But there's still plenty of those around, and each of 'em has been written by someone just cause they felt like taking the trouble.

So I cant really see how that makes this a bad place.

Ive asked many questions myself here - and some went dead with no responses, some went off on chatty tangents, and some yielded solid, interesting answers. Considering that in all of 'em, I started off with no info at all, thats still a net positive result. Any question that went dead left me no worse than I started (namely, with zero information), while any question that did yield good responses was a win for me.

Perhaps thats a question of perspective (glass is half full or half empty..).

Any case - theres plenty of people (and ever more people) coming back here time and again, either with new questions or just to hang out, so they must be finding something worthwhile here.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:03 pm
Really caribou why don't you go look at the marlboro thread and see who the liar is. Let the post speak for itself. You lied.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:04 pm
Performance is excellent - thank you, Craven!

There seems to be some static though Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:21 pm
Caribou I pm'd you this not once but twice. You ignored it and continued.
I have had enough. I do not like doing this but to attack me when I apologized quite some time ago and then to continue only to act innocent
and blame me again is just not right. I have overlooked it until today.
This was the last straw. I have had enough. Don't tell me you do not understand. You know exactly what you are doing.

Caribou,
I still think I owe you an apology. I am truly sorry for the way I came across to you with that picture. I really did not mean for you to feel like I was attacking you. That was not my intent. I realize it came across that way though. I am sorry for that. I still have a hard time when it comes to writing the way I want something to turn out as opposed to saying it in person. Others have had to point that out to me so I am still working on it. I must say you were more patient than I would have been if the tables were turned and I felt the way you said you did. I rather someone point it out to me though when I do something like that because like I said it was not my intent in your case. So, I do hope you accept my apology and maybe we can start out new.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:26 pm
I still stand behind my posts
(though I do admit to getting a little heated during a pitbull thread)
I'm sorry if my observations and opinions have offended you.
0 Replies