"N" word in art lesson at school

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyid=55642

Quote:
ADAMSTOWN -- Dinner for the Tillman family last week revealed their 10-year-old daughter had experienced a disturbing lesson at school.
On Jan. 5, Carroll Manor Elementary art teacher Teresa Ismach showed a series of paintings by a prolific black artist, Faith Ringgold. One of the paintings, at first glance, looks like a straightforward depiction of the American flag, a symbol often linked to the nation's promise of equality and freedom for all.

Ms. Ismach pointed out to her fifth-grade pupils the flag's stripes and stars actually hold a hidden message -- "Die Nigger." The best friend of Johnnie and Tasha Tillman's daughter was asked to spell out the slur, according to some of the pupils, Ms. Tillman said. The friend is white.

"Everybody gasped. They knew that was a bad word," she said.

Ms. Tillman's daughter, who is black, and her 25 classmates, 23 of whom are white, were confused. They didn't understand why their teacher was talking about a word they knew they should avoid, Ms. Tillman said.

Three attempts were made to contact Ms. Ismach, who is white, for an interview. She was not interviewed.

In a letter to the Tillmans written after they met with Ms. Ismach and principal MaryAnn Frank, Ms. Ismach wrote that she wanted to help her class understand the experiences and political climate that shaped Ms. Ringgold's art. Ms. Ringgold was born Oct. 8, 1930, in New York City.

"She tells stories through her artwork about her childhood, slavery, segregation and the Viet Nam War," Ms. Ismach wrote.

In her letter, Ms. Ismach, who has been teaching since 2001, wrote the pupils were trying to discern what was spelled in the flag's stripes, so she told them and then explained why the word was offensive.

"I thought this was a teachable moment to integrate our Character Count's core values of respect and sensitivity," she wrote. "I now realize the display and discussion of this artwork was in poor judgment. I am truly sorry for any discomfort I caused the students and their families by my actions. I would never intentionally hurt anyone."

Ms. Tillman, who is a former elementary school teacher, is not convinced the discussion was not deliberate.

The title of the artwork alone -- "The Black Light Series: Flag for the Moon: Die Nigger" -- should have prompted an experienced teacher to think twice about showing it to children, Ms. Tillman said. She does not object to the painting, but believes it was inappropriate to be presented to children without parental consent.

"I don't want my kids exposed to that type of material," she said.

Parents deserve the right to decide how and when they want to teach their children about social ills and painful history, Ms. Tillman said. If students use racial slurs, teachers have a responsibility to discuss the issue with children, but
teachers should not introduce harmful vocabulary, she said.
Families of pupils in the school received a notification letter Wednesday, after inquiries about the incident from The Frederick News-Post, Ms. Tillman said.

The fact that families were not promptly notified denied parents a chance to discuss their beliefs and opinions about use of the slur with their children, Ms. Tillman said.

"This is a complete and utter violation," she said.

In Ms. Ismach's letter to the Tillmans, she conceded she should not have shown the painting.

"I humbly ask that I be forgiven my mistake and promise to practice greater care and discernment in the future," Ms. Ismach wrote.

Ms. Tillman considers the apology to be insufficient, considering the harm that has been caused.

Her daughter, who likes Ms. Ismach, was troubled when a classmate told her it would be her fault if their teacher gets fired, Ms. Tillman said. The Tillmans' daughter asked her parents why they had such a vehement response.

Ms. Tillman was forced to explain the ugliness the slur represents and spent several days comforting her child, she said. She worries her daughter will be ostracized by fellow pupils and blamed for the teacher's poor judgment.

"(Ms. Ismach) should resign her position or lose her job," Ms. Tillman said. "How can you send your child to school and trust that she is safe when this type of thing is happening and an apology can get her (teacher) by?"

Ms. Frank declined to say whether any disciplinary action has been taken against Ms. Ismach, citing personnel confidentiality. The school follows the Frederick County Public Schools policy on bullying, discrimination and harassment, she said.

"Staff members who engage in or fail to appropriately address bullying, discrimination, or harassment may be subject to disciplinary consequences up to and including termination," the policy states.

Among the actions that may constitute discrimination is the use of specific slurs, as well as the use of written or graphic material aimed at degrading members of affected classes.

As far as Ms. Frank knows, this is the first time the school has received any complaints about Ms. Ismach.

The FCPS art curriculum for fifth-graders requires teachers to highlight Ms. Ringgold and four other artists -- Andy Warhol, Claude Monet, Salvador Dali and Georgia O'Keeffe, said Marita Loose, FCPS spokeswoman.

Teachers have flexibility in what pieces they choose to highlight for each artist, she said.

Ms. Frank said Ms. Ismach has tried to show different pieces by each artist every year; this is the first time she has shown the flag painting. She was shocked to learn a painting that contains a racial slur had been discussed in the art class.

"It will absolutely not occur again," Ms. Frank said. "It is not something that the school or the community condones. It doesn't reflect our beliefs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,949 • Replies: 28
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:59 pm
Quote:
"Everybody gasped. They knew that was a bad word," she said.

Quote:
teachers should not introduce harmful vocabulary, she said.

Huh.

Sounds like the word had already been introduced to the kids.

I looked up the painting....

http://www.faithringgold.com/ringgold/images/frg0084d.jpg

Personally, I find it a very interesting and provocative.

I'm not sure that it is really appropriate for elementary school students but discussions of race and the history of America belong in classrooms everywhere.

Pretending that racism doesn't exist is foolish. If we can't talk about it we will never moved past it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:03 pm
I agree, as usual, with Boomer. Perhaps too early, but the discussion needs to be had. What better place to have it than in school? As a group, we can't count on individual families to all pull their weight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:09 pm
Agree.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:11 pm
Also Ringgold's style could be discussed, the hiddenness of the hate in the context of the flag used as a righteous cloak. A tad adult for this age group, I'm thinking, but I'm not adamant about that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:17 pm
Fifth grade.

Too little. Too late.

Quote:
was she planning to carry her kid around in a basket?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:23 pm
And there's a question of principle involved here. From the article:

"Parents deserve the right to decide how and when they want to teach their children about social ills and painful history, Ms. Tillman said."

Wrong, IMO - crucially and fundamentally wrong.

It is not exclusively up to parents whether, how or what to teach their children about, say, the Holocaust. Or slavery.

It is the responsibility of schools to teach students about history - just like it is their duty to teach them maths - and all of history, including, or even especially, the uncomfortable parts.

Parents should not be given the right to get veto rights about what selective reading of history their children get to be taught.

Same with art, for that matter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:24 pm
Fifth grade.

Too little. Too late.

Quote:
was she planning to carry her kid around in a basket?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:32 pm
I hadn't seen the fifth grade part. I think it's appropriate in 5th grade. I think maybe the lesson was lost in translation....? Perhaps the teacher needs to spell it out more clearly?

Beth's right. If the teacher did the lesson perfectly and the students/families/principal still had those reactions, then it points to a lack of social foundation in school and at home to appreciate this message.

Nimh's right about social issues being taught in school. It is up to the schools to do it. That's not to say that the parents don't have the right to participate in the decision making process. But, ultimately, it's sort of like the who-ha about changing the constitution by popular vote. Doesn't make sense. Why should the majority get to vote on the civil rights issues of the minority?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:32 pm
Boomer, thanks posting the picture. I don't know how to do that yet... Embarrassed

I agree w/you all about it being already introduced if the whole class gasped. I was thinking of it beingrather like the debates over Huck Finn's place in the classroom...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:33 pm
I agree they should be taught by the school, and taught about racism and other kinds of hatreds much earlier than age 10. And... the painting is a useful item in the discussion.
I saw photos from Dachau before I was ten, admittedly at home.

My comment about "adult" was more re the sophistication of the painting, not about not teaching about racism. But I won't argue it, as I get your points.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:35 pm
Osso, your point about the painting is valid. It is a complicated message. But, perhaps the kids could still get it. I might bring the article to school tomorrow to try and get a reaction from a 5th grade teacher.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 04:05 pm
Quote:
Ms. Tillman's daughter, who is black, and her 25 classmates, 23 of whom are white, were confused.

I disagree that this was in any way appropriate. I think there is a difference between teaching historical and societal truths using age-appropriate and non-inflammatory materials and winging it with materials that express such hateful and actually violent sentiments.

The over-riding concern, which doesn't even seem to have been addressed, should have been for the comfort of the black children in that classroom. It's hard enough being the only one or two or three out of 26 everyday, without having all eyes turned on you to see what your reaction is when you go to school and see an emblem of your country turned into a message of hate against who you are. I'm sure it was embarrassing for the three black children (or maybe the little girl was the only black child and the other two "non-white" children were members of another minority group).

I think it showed a lack of empathy and understanding for that little girl within that classroom, and I'd be upset as a parent of any child in that classroom, that her feelings were not more carefully considered-no matter what my race.

This lesson is more appropriate for an honor's high school class where you have intelligent, sensitive, compassionate kids who are able to understand all the nuances of such a "work of art" - but again, if I were the teacher of such a class, and there was only one or two black students (which is often the case outside of inner-city schools in America), I'd approach them about their comfort with having such a lesson discussed in the class before I even thought about broaching it.
It takes a skilled, sensitive, experienced and aware teacher to lead such a discussion to any productive end. I know many teachers I wouldn't want to lead that discussion with my children, just as I know some whom I'd feel find about it.

I agree with the mother. A young, white woman has no idea what it means to be black, and even though she might have the best intentions in the world, I would not want to trust her to educate my black child about what it means to be black in our society. That is a job for her parents.

Having said that- if her apology was sincere- I don't think she should lose her job. Live and learn....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:16 pm
Here, children are taught about race and racism from the time they enter kindergarten.

My daughter was unaware of "race" right up to the time that she learned about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the civil rights movement during MLK week at her kinder.

She'd play in the playground at our neighborhood park with black and white children as well as other hispanic children completely oblivious to their "race."

Then after her very first MLK week at school she became aware of the "brownness" of black people, and the "whiteness" of white people, and her own "brownness." She also learned of the people that are hateful of others' "brownness."

It kind of stood me up the day she came home talking about "black people" and "white people, " and the color of their skin, and her own. I had to correct her when she said that "white people are haters," telling her that not all white people are haters, and that haters aren't only white people.

That was one of the most depressing days of my life.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:48 pm
Yeah I can feel that, IB - but in this story, we're talking ten-year olds..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:17 pm
eeyep, it can be taught badly, alright.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:22 pm
nimh wrote:
Yeah I can feel that, IB - but in this story, we're talking ten-year olds..

Acknowledged. But in this thread, we're also talking about teaching about race and racism to much younger children than ten-year olds.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:26 pm
The problem with this (and with any discussion is a classroom full of kids of any age) is that even though you know and can control what you are ging to say as the teacher, and you might have a plan to direct the discussion in a certain direction to make a certain point, you can never know or control what one of the other children will say, that might direct that discussion in a totally different manner than what you had planned.

And just one hateful or ill-considered comment can have an effect on that child's life for the rest of her life.

My black son was called a nigger on MLK day (as a matter of fact) when he was seven years old. He'd never heard the word before, so he asked me what it meant. We talked about it for about an hour- I wanted to know how it made him feel about himself and I was happy I was there to help him understand that that word said more about the people who used it than it said about him.

I just don't know if someone who wasn't a parent would have the same interest or motivation in helping a child integrate a message of hate directed toward them, so that it does not become inner or self-directed. Obviously no one else gave it as much thought.

Life is hard, but there's no reason to make it any harder - especially not for kids. A kid should be able to go to school without being faced with messages of hate about who they are which they can do absolutely nothing to change. They learn enough of that out in the world.

Rosa Parks, MLK, Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad- those are appropriate civil rights lessons for ten year olds- and provide inspiration for all children, black and white alike.
I think the proof that this was innappropriate is in the childrens' reactions- they said they were "confused"- as in unable to understand- probably because they don't have the abstract thinking skills to integrate this type of thing into their everyday life yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:33 pm
mmmm..... In fifth grade they're learning about life and death......

Ok, there are better ways to teach the issue than with this piece of art. But, I still think we should go further than the main heroes of the civil rights movement in the 5th grade. These people are taught in younger grades. Some of what we are charged with as new teachers/prospective teachers is to teach kids to read between the lines, to think critically about things. So, where do we go after the bios of the heroes?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:44 pm
I am not a parent. The closest child to me is my niece, who is black; I am white. She knew a lot of this long before ten, but we are from the city, shie lived for a while in an inner city project from hell, at four, and later in other troubled areas.

The particular art piece in a 5th grade class, I dunno. In the meantime, my niece has long surpassed me in urbanity, is now nineteen.
0 Replies