Duke Case Liability Situation

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:52 pm
The idea that a district attorney cannot be sued is one of those theories which, in real life, can only be stretched so far. Much of what I read indicates that not only is Mike Nifong way beyond the breaking point on that one, but that the city of Durham NC itself and Duke University itself are facing major kinds of legal liabilities in the lacrosse case.

An article on Lew Rockwell's site spells out the liabilities which president Brodhead and other members of the administration and faculty of Duke face:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/anderson/anderson164.html

As that article notes, Duke has legal liabilities which might be big enough to shut the place down. They were contractually obligated to protect those kids on the lax team, and not to aid and abet black panthers talking about beating confessions out of them, people posting wanted posters with their pictures over the campus, chanting "CASTRATE" at them, or teachers calling them rapists in their classrooms.

At the least, I would anticipate a massive class action lawsuit as soon as the Nifong "rape" case is shut down.

It also seems at least theoretically possible that the administration of Duke and some of its faculty could be charged with conspiracy to commit assault. Assault is usually construed to mean simply placing another person into a situation in which he could reasonably expect to get hurt or be harmed.

An idea of the liabilities which Nifong and the city/county of Durham NC face may be had from an article on the Lincoln Tribune:

http://www.lincolntribune.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5701

John Banzhaf is with the GW Univ. Law Center and, as he notes, if somebody has the means and the will to go after a psycho DA like the Fong, and the families of the three accused lax players do, there are ways to do it. Fong has stepped way outside of the bounds within which DAs are protected from lawsuits. The county of Durham and the people who live there and who voted to return Nifong to office of course enjoy no such legal protections, and are fair game.

Generally, the one crime you can commit in America which is ALWAYS severely punished, is to embarass the power structure, and Fong has done that; he has made the entire legal profession in NC look like a third-world clown act.

Nobody should think he is going to get away with that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,219 • Replies: 53
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:05 pm
Any particular reason you didn't post a discussion of legal liability in the Legal Forum?

Nemmind.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:49 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Any particular reason you didn't post a discussion of legal liability in the Legal Forum?

Nemmind.

I'm not a lawyer....

Besides, this story is vastly more interesting than any sort of a simple court case. This story has all of the basic elements of a medieval morality play in a little southern town. This story pretty much condenses everything many people hate about the demo**** party, mainly gangsterism and racism, into a pure essence. And, finally, it appears entirely possible and likely that somebody is finally going to be punished and pay some sort of a price for this political correctness bullshit.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:08 pm
I just this week booked 3 big spring events at Duke.... sorry gungadick|I don't think they're going down Laughing
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 09:59 am
We'll see who's laughing at this one in about three or four months.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 10:32 am
gungasnake wrote:
We'll see who's laughing at this one in about three or four months.[/quote

as long as they get my name right on the check.... :wink:
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:57 am
Here's what looks like the ultimate article on the subject:

http://vdare.com/stix/070113_duke.htm
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 08:16 am
Re: Duke Case Liability Situation
gungasnake wrote:
The idea that a district attorney cannot be sued is one of those theories which, in real life, can only be stretched so far. Much of what I read indicates that not only is Mike Nifong way beyond the breaking point on that one, but that the city of Durham NC itself and Duke University itself are facing major kinds of legal liabilities in the lacrosse case.

An article on Lew Rockwell's site spells out the liabilities which president Brodhead and other members of the administration and faculty of Duke face:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/anderson/anderson164.html

As that article notes, Duke has legal liabilities which might be big enough to shut the place down.
No, the article doesn't note that at all. It says they may have legal liabilities. It says nothing about shutting the place down.

Quote:
They were contractually obligated to protect those kids on the lax team, and not to aid and abet black panthers talking about beating confessions out of them, people posting wanted posters with their pictures over the campus, chanting "CASTRATE" at them, or teachers calling them rapists in their classrooms.

At the least, I would anticipate a massive class action lawsuit as soon as the Nifong "rape" case is shut down.

It also seems at least theoretically possible that the administration of Duke and some of its faculty could be charged with conspiracy to commit assault. Assault is usually construed to mean simply placing another person into a situation in which he could reasonably expect to get hurt or be harmed.

While the university might have some responsibility for making the university safe, the arguments you propose gunga are more than a little over the top.
1. 3 students do not a class action suit make. A class action capable of shutting down a university with an endowment of hundreds of millions would require a class of thousands. There is no evidence that there are that many people to make up such a group for a "class action" lawsuit. If the students do sue and win they will get less than Duke pays its basketball coach per year which is several million.

2. You might want to check your 'assault' definition. I don't recall any abortion protesters charged with assault for creating 'wanted dead or alive' posters of abortion providers. The university can't squelch free speech without a valid reason. Yelling at someone or allowing someone to yell at them is not assault.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:44 pm
There were about 45 of those lacrosse players and not 3, and all of them suffered from this thing. The lawsuits you will shortly start to see will probably involve all members of the team and you will probably start to see this as soon as whatever is left of Fong's case is shut down.

A leftist prof calling a student a rapist in his/her classroom or basically inviting the black panthers onto campus to beat confessions out of 45 members of an athletic team is not free speech, and particularly not when the university is contractually obligated to protect those students, and not to engage in witchhunts against them.

At least one of those players and his father both were getting death threats and told they were "dead men walking" at the Durham courtroom. That isn't "free speech".

This case has it all, and sort of distills everything which most people hate about the demokkkrat party, mainly the racism and gangsterism, into a sort of a pure essence. A kind of a midieval morality play in a little southern town.

The most interesting thing you heard on that 60-Minutes take last night was the question of the two suspended players going back to Duke. The one father, Finnarty, basically laughed the idea off, and you have to assume that the parents of every kid in America with any thoughts about going to Duke were watching that, and that they're having to think really hard about the idea at this point.

My own view is that the lax players are going to be compensated at least for real damages from Duke, that Duke is going to have to make major changes including shitcanning its president (Brodhead) and about a hundred leftover stalinist profs, and then move, and they don't have more than a year or so to get started with it. I can't imagine a parent in his right mind sending a kid to school anywhere near Durham NC at this juncture.

Besides that, both the Fong, everybody in the Fong's office down to the janitors, and the city of Durham are going to get sued big time and possibly into oblivion, and they richly deserve it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 07:27 am
After the case is dropped and the three young men are cleared,I have a question.

Where do they go or who do they sue to get their good reputations back?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 07:35 am
MM,maybe those boys will learn that when you lie with dogs you get fleas and next time they are feeling like randy puppies they'll just call next door to the sorority house and invite a couple of their sluts over..... there's no shortage of girls willing to give it away for free, especially to big sports heros with money and good prospects.

Although I side with the boys in this case, and find Nifong a disgusting piece of ****.... there's a lesson here for these boys and those who follow in their footsteps, even though I believe they're being overcharged for the lesson. Find some free pussy close to home if you must. It's all around you and easily obtained.

It's just a convergence of bad things. the perfect shitstorm.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:40 am
gungasnake wrote:
There were about 45 of those lacrosse players and not 3, and all of them suffered from this thing. The lawsuits you will shortly start to see will probably involve all members of the team and you will probably start to see this as soon as whatever is left of Fong's case is shut down.

A leftist prof calling a student a rapist in his/her classroom or basically inviting the black panthers onto campus to beat confessions out of 45 members of an athletic team is not free speech, and particularly not when the university is contractually obligated to protect those students, and not to engage in witchhunts against them.
Show me evidence of any professor naming all 45 players. Your argument is that they were all called out by name and can sue then you can only come up with one example of a person being named. Ridiculous on your part. Unless all 45 were individually singled out they were not part of any class lawsuit. As your source said, it only crosses the line when they are named.

Quote:
At least one of those players and his father both were getting death threats and told they were "dead men walking" at the Durham courtroom. That isn't "free speech".
Really? When were those abortion protestors jailed again? I keep forgetting.
Quote:

This case has it all, and sort of distills everything which most people hate about the demokkkrat party, mainly the racism and gangsterism, into a sort of a pure essence. A kind of a midieval morality play in a little southern town.
The case has the nuts out in force. That is for sure. And the kkk seems to be a strong driving force of those nuts.
Quote:

The most interesting thing you heard on that 60-Minutes take last night was the question of the two suspended players going back to Duke. The one father, Finnarty, basically laughed the idea off, and you have to assume that the parents of every kid in America with any thoughts about going to Duke were watching that, and that they're having to think really hard about the idea at this point.
LOL.. Duke is hardly the reason those kids were charged with rape. It could have happened on any campus.
Quote:

My own view is that the lax players are going to be compensated at least for real damages from Duke, that Duke is going to have to make major changes including shitcanning its president (Brodhead) and about a hundred leftover stalinist profs, and then move, and they don't have more than a year or so to get started with it. I can't imagine a parent in his right mind sending a kid to school anywhere near Durham NC at this juncture.
Care to put your money where your uninformed mouth is? I will bet you $100,000 that the number in the freshman class next year at Duke is within 5% of this years freshman class. How about a nice cheap bet of $100 on the firing of Brodhead in the next 6 months?
Quote:

Besides that, both the Fong, everybody in the Fong's office down to the janitors, and the city of Durham are going to get sued big time and possibly into oblivion, and they richly deserve it.
The janitors are going to get sued? Stupidity at its finest there Gunga. Who the hell is Fong? At least get the names right if you want to talk about the case.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:42 am
mysteryman wrote:
After the case is dropped and the three young men are cleared,I have a question.

Where do they go or who do they sue to get their good reputations back?

When the case is dropped with prejudice it will do a lot for giving them their reputation back.

Like BPB says, they will still be stupid college kids that hired a stripper. They won't ever get rid of that stigma because they did it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:53 am
Hiring a stripper is a stigma?

I hope I don't get invited to your bachelor party.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:08 am
parados wrote:

The case has the nuts out in force. That is for sure. And the kkk seems to be a strong driving force of those nuts..

You use the term "KKK" as if it were a dirty word, and you demokkkrats used to have such a GOOD relationship with the KKKlan. What went wrong? Imperial Wizard stole FDR's woman back in the 40s or something like that??
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:22 am
Yuu are being nutty Gunga.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:40 am
I would expect to see (unfortunately) an increase in KKK recruitment because if this debacle.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:18 am
Typical alumni posting:

Quote:

I was saddened by reading these two letters from the "Group of 88"/"Group of 87 (90?)". I am glad that I didn't send my daughter to the Trinity last year.

Both my husband and I had parts of our postdoctoral training (Geophysics, Neuroscience) at this beloved university and had cherished experiences there. Naturally, Duke was one of universities that our daughter applied for last year. 4 top universities accepted her, including Duke. Duke invited her to visit the campus with all cost paid (airline ticket, etc.) in early April and she went. She really liked this university and has had her childhood memory there. However, with the unfolding of the lacrosse case, my whole family was very disappointed by the way that the university treated its own students. We couldn't let her go to a school in a community filled of racism, where her safety could be in jeopardy. More importantly, we couldn't send her to a school whose administration would not stand up for her constitutional rights. At the end, she chose another great school and has been very happy there. It was not an easy decision for us to make because we know that Duke has been/still is a very good university. Other than those arrogant "88/87 (90?)", there are many great faculties at the university. My hearts and thoughts go to the Duke Three and their families and the university.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:20 am
I still see this one as the beginning of the end for the "new left" and their PC fellow travellers.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 08:01 am
gungasnake wrote:
I still see this one as the beginning of the end for the "new left" and their PC fellow travellers.

well don't pull out the lotion and the kleenex yet......
0 Replies