IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

Irishk

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:38 am
Almost half of primary care physicians (family medicine and internal medicine) feel that the passing of health reform will either force them out of medicine or make them want to leave medicine.

http://www.nejmjobs.org/rpt/physician-survey-health-reform-impact.aspx

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 12:41 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Almost half of primary care physicians (family medicine and internal medicine) feel that the passing of health reform will either force them out of medicine or make them want to leave medicine.

You ought to look into things a little closer before posting them.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201003170036

In short, the right-wing media has seized upon what appears to be essentially a promotional document from a physician recruitment firm in order to argue that health care reform will cause physician recruitment and retention problems in the future.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 12:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Fair enough.

Quote:
The "report" that right-wing media are citing actually appeared in Recruiting Physicians Today, which is an employment newsletter produced by "the publishers of the New England Journal of Medicine." According to Zeis, that report actually "was written by the Medicus Firm," the medical recruitment firm that conducted the "survey."

So, the report wasn't produced by New England Journal of Medicine. Your article doesn't mention the accuracy of the survey.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 12:58 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Fair enough.

Quote:
The "report" that right-wing media are citing actually appeared in Recruiting Physicians Today, which is an employment newsletter produced by "the publishers of the New England Journal of Medicine." According to Zeis, that report actually "was written by the Medicus Firm," the medical recruitment firm that conducted the "survey."

So, the report wasn't produced by New England Journal of Medicine. Your article doesn't mention the accuracy of the survey.

It's because there's no data on the methodology available - not usually something which inspires confidence in a survey.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's also fair. Doesn't prove it wrong, but fair. I have never been a big fan of surveys, even when I do know the questions asked, the context, and to whom the survey was sent, and how they were selected.

As a matter of fact, I know several doctors who are willing to treat some patients at below cost. Even my dentist was giving me discounts till I told him I had started receiving a pension. Dentists are not involved with Medicare, of course. Like law enforcement, some people in the medical field really do select careers at least partially based on altruism. Not all, but some. Still, while they can lose on some patients, they can't lose money overall for an indefinate time.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The link I posted represents what it says it represents...a survey of 1,000 physicians regarding their attitude toward healthcare reform. You can choose to disregard it, of course.

Or, perhaps you should take your own advice.
maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
@Irishk,
He did apologize.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:36 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The link I posted represents what it says it represents...a survey of 1,000 physicians regarding their attitude toward healthcare reform. You can choose to disregard it, of course.

Or, perhaps you should take your own advice.

No, your link masquerades as a New England Journal of Medicine study, when it isn't. It was specifically designed to do this in order to drum up business for a company that works with them. Please review my link closely.

It's pretty obvious that you found it on a right-wing website and just cut-and-pasted it here. I understand that this is tempting, and that your side of the argument is growing increasingly desperate as passage looks more and more likely. However, it is generally a good idea to look closely at things before posting them, and - as you clearly pointed out - all of us fall prey to this error from time to time.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, your link masquerades as a New England Journal of Medicine study, when it isn't.

No, it doesn't.

Quote:
The opinions expressed in the article linked to above represent those of The Medicus Firm only. That article does not represent the opinions of the New England Journal of Medicine or the Massachusetts Medical Society.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:47 pm
@Irishk,
So, tell me why anyone would care that some random business polled random doctors, with no available methodology, and came up with an answer that points to increased business for them?

If this wasn't on the NEJoM website, it never would have been making the rounds. Nobody would give a ****. You're being a little disingenuous here.

Cycloptichorn
sstainba

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Irishk wrote:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201003170036

In short, the right-wing media has seized upon what appears to be essentially a promotional document from a physician recruitment firm in order to argue that health care reform will cause physician recruitment and retention problems in the future.

Cycloptichorn

Here... this is an article from CNN about one specific Primary Care physician. Of course, this is just anecdotal... but it demonstrates that the current medicare/medicaid reimbursement schedule will only lead to FEWER primary care physicians. If the government system will be run and payed in this type of manner, it won't matter how many people are covered because there won't be any physicians to treat them.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/04/news/economy/medicare_doctor_costs/index.htm?postversion=2010030412

Here's another one:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/17/news/economy/health_care_pediatricians_medicaid_payment_problems/index.htm?hpt=Sbin
Irishk

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You're welcome to your opinion. Others may differ.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

You're welcome to your opinion. Others may differ.

Others may differ, that I am welcome to my opinion?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@sstainba,
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I am not swayed by their threats of quitting their jobs, not in the slightest. This is what Chicken Little ALWAYS does when it looks like things aren't going his way... no matter who the chicken is.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:13 pm
According to the President, this new health care bill will see premiums drop by 3000%. That way my boss could give me a raise.
If premiums are gonna drop by 3000% like he said, that is a good reason to support the bill.

Quote:
All right. Well, a lot of those folks, your employer it's estimated would see premiums fall by as much as 3,000 percent [sic], which means they could give you a raise.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/03/transcript_of_president_obamas.html
sstainba

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I am not swayed by their threats of quitting their jobs, not in the slightest. This is what Chicken Little ALWAYS does when it looks like things aren't going his way... no matter who the chicken is.

Cycloptichorn

I don't understand how you can say that. Saying "I'll worry about it later" is incredibly irresponsible. At that point, it may very well be too late, especially given how long it takes to get anything through our governmental system. This isn't a "Chicken Little" scenario. The cuts to medicaid and medicare aren't a perceived threat, they are actually happening. The laws have been on the books for years and each year, just before the cuts were to go through, Congress would issue a stay to prevent them. If they are allowed to go through, there won't be a bridge left to cross.
sstainba

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:48 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

According to the President, this new health care bill will see premiums drop by 3000%. That way my boss could give me a raise.
If premiums are gonna drop by 3000% like he said, that is a good reason to support the bill.

Quote:
All right. Well, a lot of those folks, your employer it's estimated would see premiums fall by as much as 3,000 percent [sic], which means they could give you a raise.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/03/transcript_of_president_obamas.html

Now... I haven't been in calculus for several years... but I'm relatively certain premiums cannot drop more then 100% at a maximum.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:50 pm
@sstainba,
sstainba wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I don't understand how you can say that. Saying "I'll worry about it later" is incredibly irresponsible. At that point, it may very well be too late, especially given how long it takes to get anything through our governmental system. This isn't a "Chicken Little" scenario. The cuts to medicaid and medicare aren't a perceived threat, they are actually happening. The laws have been on the books for years and each year, just before the cuts were to go through, Congress would issue a stay to prevent them. If they are allowed to go through, there won't be a bridge left to cross.

Sorry, but I simply do not believe the situation is as dire as you are presenting it here. People in every industry will always claim that cutting any money at all out of their system will mean disaster; it is in people's nature to exaggerate in order to protect themselves.

The idea that doctors will quit practicing en masse if this bill passes is a farce. There's no evidence that such a thing will happen at all.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:16 pm
@sstainba,
I heard that the white house came back and said he meant $3000. Still, I beleive that is a rather dubious number as well, and would be very curious how it was calculated.
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

sstainba wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Sorry, but I simply do not believe the situation is as dire as you are presenting it here. People in every industry will always claim that cutting any money at all out of their system will mean disaster; it is in people's nature to exaggerate in order to protect themselves.

The idea that doctors will quit practicing en masse if this bill passes is a farce. There's no evidence that such a thing will happen at all.

Cycloptichorn

There are examples in articles all over the place where physicians are explaining the same thing. Medicaid/Medicare already pay poor reimbursements. I've provided a few articles with physicians talking about how they can't afford to accept the programs any longer. I didn't say they will quit practicing. As I've pointed out, as well as have the articles posted, they would likely just not accept governmental insurance programs. And there is evidence - the articles I've posted. It's just not the evidence you want. You only believe large statistical studies, but those are not the end-all-be-all. While there may not be a large survey yet (that we know of), that lack of evidence doesn't preclude it from happening.

There's actually more evidence too... specialty hospitals. Have you ever wondered why in the past few years there has been a giant increase in the number of "cardiac hospitals" or "spine hospitals" ? It's to skirt Medicaid and Medicare. EMTALA requires that any ED treat all patients to stabilize them, regardless of their ability to pay. Hospitals lose money like crazy because of this. They write most of that off at the end of the year. However, these specialty hospitals won't have an ED, or they'll have one with very, VERY few beds. That means they don't have to treat the random guy off the street. They also advertise like crazy - so the guy who just went to the county hospital (with insurance) can say "I want to be transferred to XXXX". Of course, that specialty hospital will only accept the transfers with private insurance. This allows them to skim the "good" patients off the top and ends up hurting the government funded hospitals even more because they lose the revenue from those patients which help compensate for the homeless guy admitted every week.

It seem pretty logical, I don't understand why you are so against the idea. You are talking about drastically cutting into the money people earn and you think they'll just accept it?

Have you ever actually spoken to a physician (other than when you were ill) ? Have you spoken to any about the state of the medical industry?