IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
maybe we should make munitions manufacture non-profit only and see what happens...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:29 am
@Rockhead,
How does your non sequitur, straw man, quesstion provide info on universal health care?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
is Info all you look for, c. i.?

and I don't have much straw to waste.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

revel, Republicans would rather spend taxpayer monies on wars, but not on the American People. They even approve of the increasing natiional debt to support wars, but not for the American People.

Go figure; they want to stop universal health care for Americans.

Actually, Democrat presidents have killed more Americans than Republicans have killed Americans in wars in our history, so please get your facts straight, ci. Your posts would improve if you would do that.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:48 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

revel, Republicans would rather spend taxpayer monies on wars, but not on the American People. They even approve of the increasing natiional debt to support wars, but not for the American People.

Go figure; they want to stop universal health care for Americans.

Actually, Democrats have killed more Americans than Republicans in wars in our history, so please quit lying, ci.

In some cases, war is thrust upon you; you bunch invite armed conflict, because you enjoy the spectacle and it makes you feel strong.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, tell Obama to get out of Afghanistan then. If not, then admit your hypocrisy.
Your statement is an insult by the way. I went to war, which is something you have not done, and I was sent by Democrat icon, LBJ, because he lied about the Gulf of Tonkin incident.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:50 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Well, tell Obama to get out of Afghanistan then. If not, then admit your hypocrisy.

Mr. Obama:

Get out of Afghansitan! Stop wasting our time and soldiers there, learn the lesson of the last 200 years, and simply co-opt their people with money.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:52 am
@okie,
That is a stupid statement.

In the case of Afghanistan, it was thrust upon us but Bush basically abandoned it to fight a war with Iraq because "it had more targets." And now the Taliban supported by AQ in Pakistan has regrouped as a continuing threat.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:55 am
@okie,
I just noticed the part you added to your post -

Quote:

Your statement is an insult by the way. I went to war, which is something you have not done, and I was sent by Democrat icon, LBJ, because he lied about the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

Well, a lot of this has to do with the fact that the US Armed forces are reluctant to allow people who are blind in one eye to enlist, as I found after high school when I attempted to do so in the mid-90's.

Which part of my statement is insulting to you? You're not going to claim that Republicans don't seek out armed conflict, are you? That would be dumb.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
okie still hasn't figured out all the Bush lies about Iraq, but that's to be expected of him.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:43 pm
A South Carolina Republican congressman yelled out that the president was lying when he said that his health care reform would exclude illegal aliens. Other Republican congressmen and senators have similarly accused the president of lying about this. Factcheck.org says that the president WAS NOT LYING.

Claim: Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.

False. That’s simply not what the bill says at all. This page includes "SEC. 152. PROHIBITING DISCRIMINATION IN HEALTH CARE," which says that "[e]xcept as otherwise explicitly permitted by this Act and by subsequent regulations consistent with this Act, all health care and related services (including insurance coverage and public health activities) covered by this Act shall be provided without regard to personal characteristics extraneous to the provision of high quality health care or related services." However, the bill does explicitly say that illegal immigrants can’t get any government money to pay for health care. Page 143 states: "Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States." And as we’ve said before, current law prohibits illegal immigrants from participating in government health care programs.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:30 pm
@Advocate,
What it seems to say is that illegals won't be eligible for a subsidy. That may, or may not mean they won't in some way be participating.

Thanks for getting on topic, though. I don't usually open this thread to hear about Afghanistan, or whatever.
okie

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Which part of my statement is insulting to you? You're not going to claim that Republicans don't seek out armed conflict, are you? That would be dumb.

Cycloptichorn

No it would not be dumb, it would be correct. More Americans have died under Democratic presidents than Republican ones, so your statement is an insult. No need to belabor the point any more on this thread, but if you want to get your facts straight, look it up and you will confirm what I just pointed out.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:31 pm
@okie,
healthcare, gentlemen...

Rolling Eyes
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:31 pm
@Rockhead,
from my favourite site (lately) for following U.S. politics

Quote:
In the late fifties President Eisenhower built our interstate highway system. Some of us cruise it in a Cadillac and others in a Chevy, but we all have access to the basic system. It would be nice if our health care system worked the same way.

http://patchworknation.csmonitor.com/lincoln-city/2009/0910/greetings-comrades/

http://patchworknation.csmonitor.com/

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:35 pm
@ehBeth,
That's precisely what I've been saying all along; people should have access to health care, but the coverage should be balanced against what people pay into it like auto insurance with deductibles. If I want higher liability coverage for my car, and willing to pay the higher premium, it's based on a) ability to pay, and b) choice of the consumer. I must weigh the cost of insurance against all my other expenses, and determine whether it's a good choice for myself and family. That's how health insurance should work too!~ If I don't have accidents or tickets from driving violations, I should be able to get some discount for my good driving record. They should apply the same principle to health insurance.
revel

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
So a person born with a disease like diabetes would automatically have to pay much higher premiums than someone who has no such diseases. What a solution. Someone who is poor but working and so does not qualify for medicare but cannot afford to pay higher premiums for better coverage would just be tough out of luck and be stuck with crappy health insurance coverage, kind of like now.

I just hope if they finally pass some kind of health care reform, it is sufficient to help all Americans receive better health care at an affordable price and if it runs up the debt a little more, that is the price we pay. Apparently though they are trying to cut out the fraud and waste and make medicare more efficient which would go a long way on saving so that could go towards the cost. Admittedly, it probably won't cover all the cost, but we can't expect something for nothing and the present system is unsustainable and unacceptable. Too many are without health insurance at all and it just keeps getting worse or they have inadequate health coverage, which in the ends up costing us more when they can't pay all their hospital or other health service bills. (not everyone without health insurance don't bills, but enough can't and don't so that it does effect our overall economy.)
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:18 am
a statistic screamed at me the other day. 1% of US health care dollars goes to paying doctors. Is that fucked-up or what??
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:26 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

What it seems to say is that illegals won't be eligible for a subsidy. That may, or may not mean they won't in some way be participating.

Of course, they might just participate by purchasing insurance. But I don't see why we should care if they do that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:36 am
@revel,
revel, Diabetes can be controlled by diet and lifestyle. You do know that, don't you?

My best friend had diabetes, but he failed to take care of himself. His wife and children argued with him often, but they could never convince him to maintain a healthy diet. His diabetes eventually killed him.