IT'S TIME FOR UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE

maporsche

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:43 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

maporsche wrote:

And I'm sure you're all sick of hearing this from me....but god damn, this president is truly disapointing me; and I went into this with very very very low expectations.

You are entitled to your disappointment. I am disappointed on some things but not enough to regret my choice and I think that many judgments are still very premature. I also think that Bush's legacy of power grabbing for the unitary executive has left us believing that the president is all-powerful.

I don't regret my choice for president; I still think McCain would have been worse.

I regret all of your choices in the primary's though.
maporsche

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yes, I for one am sick of hearing you bitch about Obama.

Good; I'm still waiting for you to realize that it's time to start.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:45 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

But political will is exactly the problem. Somehow the group dynamics in Washington's political and journalistic class has intimidated liberal Democrats into thinking that the eighties still aren't over, Reaganism is still a winning ideology at the ballots, and Great Society programs can at best be maintained, but not dismantled.

Add to that a president who has been strangely unenthusiastic about even moderate health care reform ever since he started running for the job, and you can see why I think H.R. 676 is doomed.

My hope is that a little political jujitsu will come about -- that after letting the Republicans spin their wheels and become ever more hysterical about reform they will use this obstinance as against them and avoid major compromises. That's just a hope, mind you. But after all of this town hall nonsense it would be perfectly acceptable for them to stand up and say: "Look, we had an election where this was a major part of our platform and we won. We tried to do it with the Republicans but they won't compromise, so now we're going to do it the way we think is best." Acceptable to the people who put them in office to get this done, anyway.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:46 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

It isn't time to start yet. I think he could be doing more to crack the whip on Congress on health care, but he's hardly a disappointment.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

It isn't time to start yet. I think he could be doing more to crack the whip on Congress on health care, but he's hardly a disappointment.

What has changed under Obama's watch from Bush's watch?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:50 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I don't regret my choice for president; I still think McCain would have been worse.

I regret all of your choices in the primary's though.

Because she would have done what differently?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:02 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck, You pretty much mirror what I think about the republicans; they just want Obama to fail on his major initiative of his presidency.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:10 am
An interesting article, I would like to know more about the perpetrators of this, as it could be a put up job by Democratic operatives to try to make Republicans look bad. If so, this is an age old leftist tactic and trick. This guy Schwenkler has been around, also in Minnesota, is he some kind of operative of the Democrats? They are certainly capable of this kind of crap. I would like to see an investigation, but it probably won't happen.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/26/colorado-gop-calls-apology-democratic-office-vandalism/

"Colorado GOP Calls for Apology After Democratic Office Vandalism
The chairman of the Colorado Republican Party is calling on his Democratic counterpart to apologize following comments he claims connects an act of vandalism to opposition of President Obama's health care reform.

The chairman of the Colorado Republican Party is calling on his Democratic counterpart to apologize for suggesting that an act of vandalism at Democratic Party headquarters was linked to opposition to President Obama's push for health care reform.

State GOP Chairman Dick Wadhams told FOXNews.com he was "stunned" by comments made by Democratic Party Chairwoman Pat Waak following the smashing of 11 windows at the Democratic headquarters early Tuesday morning.

Waak told the Denver Post that the vandalism, allegedly carried out by a former Democratic canvasser who left behind an anti-health care reformer poster, was "an effort on the other side to stir up hate." After learning about alleged vandal's political past, Waak told the newspaper that "there is a lot of rhetoric out there from both sides of the spectrum."

"I was stunned by [Waak] actually suggesting the act of vandalism had something to do with opposition to Obama's health care reform," Wadhams told FOXNews.com Wednesday. "That is unfair and inappropriate to say that anybody who opposes Obama's health care plan is somehow responsible for this despicable act of vandalism."

Wadhams called on Waak to apologize to "everyone, who in good faith, opposes the president's health care proposal," saying her assertion was "terribly" irresponsible.

Waak, meanwhile, told FOXNews.com that the shattered windows were directly in front of posters depicting President Obama and health care reform.

"If you look at the windows, that's where the major smashes were done," Waak said Wednesday. "To us, that indicates this is about health care reform."

Maurice Schwenkler, 24, was arrested in Denver on Tuesday in connection to the vandalism on charges of criminal mischief. The shattered windows will cost roughly $10,000 or more to replace.

The Post reported that Schwenkler was paid $500 in November 2008 to walk door-to-door in support of Democrat Mollie Cullom, a candidate for the state House. Campaign records also show Schwenkler was among dozens of canvassers paid by a political committee called the Colorado Citizens' Coalition.

Schwenkler was also reportedly arrested in St. Paul, Minn., on the last day of the 2008 Republican convention on charges of unlawful assembly.

Denver Police say they have not identified a motive in the incident. A second suspect is still at large. No injuries were reported.

Republican David Balmer, who defeated Cullom, said he thought the vandals might have trying to make Republicans look bad.

"This sounds like the type of Democratic tactic from the left fringe trying to make Republicans look mean-spirited," Balmer told the Denver Post. "In this case, it blew up in their face. He was caught red-handed."

Waak told FOXNews.com that Balmer's assertion was the "most ridiculous comment" she's ever heard.

"This wasn't just any random kind of thing," she said. "I have a lot of other things to do rather than replace my windows. Quite frankly, I feel violated.""

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:19 am
@okie,
okie, You would do better to quit shouting.
okie

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
No caps used. Just color and boldness to bring attention to what I think are some key points. You got a problem with that? Get over it.

P.S. I would like to know if the perpetrators have connections to ACORN? How about you, ci, would you be curious about that? Somehow I doubt it.
okie

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:34 am
@okie,
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/08/25/fake-hate-crime-alert-leftists-vandalize-denver-democrat-hq-dems-smeared-obamacare-foes/

"Fake hate crime alert: Leftists vandalize Denver Democrat HQ; Dems smeared Obamacare foes"

"A 24-year-old arrested this morning on suspicion of smashing 11 windows at Colorado Democratic Party headquarters tried to conceal his identity while allegedly committing the crime, according to police descriptions.

Maurice Schwenkler wore a shirt over his face, a hooded sweat shirt and latex gloves before he and another man fled the scene on bicycles, police said. Schwenkler was apprehended after a short chase. The other suspect remains at large.

While Schwenkler does not appear in the state’s voter registration database, a person by that name in November 2008 received $500 from a political 527 committee called Colorado Citizens Coalition for “communications,” according to campaign finance disclosures.

The accountant for the 527 appears to be the same woman who handles the books for many other Democratic-leaning political committees.

A Maurice Schwenkler also signed an online 2005 petition to free anti-war Christian protesters who were captured in Iraq.

State Democratic Party Chairwoman Pat Waak initially blamed the vandalism on animosity surrounding the health care debate, though Denver police declined to comment on possible motives."
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:37 am
@okie,
oke, shirley yer not suggesting he was paid last year to break the windows out now are ya?
okie

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:42 am
@Rockhead,
And you don't really think that if he was paid to knock the windows out, it would show up on the books soon, as "Window smashing service" do you? Good grief, rockhead, do you really have rocks in your head?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:43 am
@okie,
you need to get out more.

a year is a long time to wait when you're 24...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:45 am
@okie,
what are your thoughts on the Real reasons the repubs are afraid of healthcare, Okie...

(HINT: its about power)
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. :

okie needs to use the large script to make him believe that's actually what he posted ( with just regular script he would have trouble recognizing his own entries ) .

just a canadian joke , of course !

no offence meant !
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 11:16 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
... and that Great Society programs can at best be maintained, but not dismantled.

Freudian slip there. Of course I meant "expanded", not "dismantled".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 11:32 am
@okie,
You're also using larger fonts; that's shouting.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 11:37 am
@okie,
Who wants to talk about health care when we could instead discuss vandalism and ACORN and partisan politics. I mean, it's not like we have a ******* problem in this country or anything.
Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 11:52 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
That's just a hope, mind you. But after all of this town hall nonsense it would be perfectly acceptable for them to stand up and say: "Look, we had an election where this was a major part of our platform and we won. We tried to do it with the Republicans but they won't compromise, so now we're going to do it the way we think is best."

As they say, the hope dies last.