Governor Spitzer Releases Email Addresses

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:14 pm
Well, I'll read the NYer article this evening, not that it's a sacrosanct thing, but as a starter for background.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:14 pm
if that had taken place in france ... Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:18 pm
Little chance...as a Jew is not likely to be elected to that high an office in France.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:21 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Spitzer is in a brand-spanking new chunk of trouble --

Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring
ALBANY - Gov. Eliot Spitzer has informed his most senior administration officials that he had been involved in a prostitution ring, an administration official said this morning.

Mr. Spitzer, who was huddled with his top aides inside his Fifth Avenue apartment early this afternoon, had hours earlier abruptly canceled his scheduled public events for the day. He scheduled an announcement for 2:15 after inquiries from the Times.

Mr. Spitzer, a first term Democrat who pledged to bring ethics reform an end the often seamy ways of Albany, is married with three children.
(NYT article)

The media is having a field day! Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:21 pm
hamburger wrote:
osso wrote :

Quote:
I'll be surprised if the email thing isn't a bcc type clerical error, unfortunate at that.

are you suggesting he had a clerk sent the email ?
if that's the case , the clerk should be severely reprimanded :wink:
hbg

I don't have any idea. Why would he personally send the email? I do know that some of my friends mess up with failing to use bcc when they usually do.

I'm not defending Spitzer, I'm barely tuned in. The bcc thing was my first thought on it, and remains so, er, minute by minute.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:23 pm
Ragman wrote:
Little chance...as a Jew is not likely to be elected to that high an office in France.

Please ignore this as France has elected Jews as high officials ...(e.g. Prime Minister in '40s and '50s) in the past:

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_Jews
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:17 pm
Roxxxanne's new thread is interesting, muy complicato.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:05 pm
Ragman

I think I should go some distance towards your position here, re resignation. Here's a comment I found compelling...

Quote:
''The problem is we don't know when this behavior started for this person,'' said Cohen, a professor of public administration at Columbia University. ''Politicians are like the rest of us. The fact that they're flawed and do stupid things shouldn't surprise us.''

The real question, Cohen said, is whether Spitzer should be held to a different ethical standard. And his answer is yes.

''This isn't Britney Spears we're talking about. This is the governor,'' Cohen said. ''The bottom line is, he controls the National Guard and the state police. He could have people come to arrest you and me tomorrow. So his private behavior does become a public issue.''
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Spitzer-Psychology.html

I still resist this hard-to-swallow conclusion but for other reasons (for example, the contrast with a sitting president who has been responsible for perhaps a half million unnecessary deaths who will walk away without moral or legal accounting of the consequences of his acts).

But unhappily I admit that your position here is the correct one.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:19 am
ossobuco wrote:
Well, I'll read the NYer article this evening, not that it's a sacrosanct thing, but as a starter for background.

Spitzer had a perfect score on the LSAT and was on the editorial board at the Harvard Law Review, while a student at Harvard Law.

Funny how Spitzer was so smart about some things and yet real stupid about others.

His bio can be found on Wikipedia.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 05:37 am
Miller wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Spitzer had a perfect score on the LSAT and was on the editorial board at the Harvard Law Review, while a student at Harvard Law.

Funny how Spitzer was so smart about some things and yet real stupid about others.

Like endorsing Hillary Clinton perhaps?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:08 am
Further equivocation that attempts to muddy the ethical waters on this issue is stupid. Spitzer crossed a very big line re public trust . He parlayed his previous career, one that strongly included a commitment to a higher ethical standard, into the states highest office and a future within the National Dem Party. He betrayed that trust and apparently did it with very little concern about his own highly publicized ethical standards. Whata schmuck.

His resignation should not be delayed. His guilt in this matter is no longer theissue.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:19 am
farmerman wrote:
Further equivocation that attempts to muddy the ethical waters on this issue is stupid. Spitzer crossed a very big line re public trust . He parlayed his previous career, one that strongly included a commitment to a higher ethical standard, into the states highest office and a future within the National Dem Party. He betrayed that trust and apparently did it with very little concern about his own highly publicized ethical standards. Whata schmuck.

His resignation should not be delayed. His guilt in this matter is no longer theissue.

So,um, when is David Vitter resigning? And why didn't those calling for Spitzer to resign call for Vitter to resign?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:49 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
In June 2005, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson hailed Eliot Spitzer as "the future of the (Democratic) party."

He is resigning as I type this ....

You must be typing awfully slowly. Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:27 am
What I'd like to know is, now that the IRS and FBI are aware of this call girl organization, will we be hearing the names of their other customers? Surely their other customers are paying similar amounts of money that should have raised eyebrows at banks, the IRS and FBI.

Spitzer wasn't their only customer. Who are the others? Will they too be investigated and publicized?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:37 am
Spitzer made a public career out of the very thing that snagged him. The irony is lost on you ?

Your tit for tat comparisons are kinda childish. They dont make Spitzer any the less guilty. Maybe Spitzer should just act the grown up and take his meds.
Hes got a wrecked marriage to deal with. If I'se his wife, Id be divvying up the assets as we speak. Its a shame , but **** happens and theres no hiding.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:17 am
farmerman wrote:
Spitzer made a public career out of the very thing that snagged him. The irony is lost on you ?

Your tit for tat comparisons are kinda childish. They dont make Spitzer any the less guilty. Maybe Spitzer should just act the grown up and take his meds.
Hes got a wrecked marriage to deal with. If I'se his wife, Id be divvying up the assets as we speak. Its a shame , but **** happens and theres no hiding.

It took a while for me to come around to your conclusion, fm, but I got there. I considered the fellow a particularly valuable civil servant who had taken on a sector of criminality and immorality which far too often escapes notice and restraint ans which can have broad and enormous negative consequences for many (while black kids rot in jail for pot possession) and my resistance to the conclusion of necessary resignation arose from that consideration.

Still, to see a visceral reaction to the injustice inherent in, say, Vitter skating free while Spitzer gets crushed is entirely understandable.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:25 am
farmerman wrote:

What really saddens me here is the victim...Spitzer's wife, Silda, and their family. During the press conference that expression on her face was so controlled. How did she ever paste that tight-lipped smile on her face for any PART of the time? I would've tripped the bastard at least on his way out after it was done, or better still, before.

How about a separate press conference where she talks about how she is going to dump his ass when the smoke clears?!

let this be a lesson: Is this where being an over-achieving sanctimonious a-hole gets a person? So, I think I'm finally justified being a lazy laidback underachiever. At least I don't cheat on my partner, do show up at my job and do a half-assed decent job and don't cheat on my taxes...

Did I say Taxes? Arrrrrghhh!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:36 am
As far as Davy Vitter, I expect nothing better from Louisiana politics anyway. His loss of influence in the SEnate may be its own payback especially since the NAtional GOP asked him to step down and he refused. I like Vitters wife who said that shes more like Lorena Bobbit than Hillary Clinton. She was "gonna get something out of it and its wasnt going to be cash" (something like that)

Spitzer has a much higher postion of authority nationally and in the party, He can only hurt the DEms by making like Davy Vitter.

Ragman, I agree, SPitzers wife was a picture of control. I predict that Passover wont be a family fstivus this year in the Spitzer household.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:41 am
She's such an honorable lady. What did she do to deserve that sort of shabby treatment?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:44 am
any breaking lunchtime exclusives Raggy?
0 Replies