Governor Spitzer Releases Email Addresses

Advocate

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:45 pm
I guess that any resignation would depend on his popularity in NY State. Clinton comes to mind inasmuch he was polling in high numbers during White Water.

AOL ran a poll on Spitzer, and I was surprised how negative people were to him. It was, of course, a national poll, not representative of the feeling of people of NY.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:49 pm
plain slam-dunk
blatham wrote:
So far, no resignation. And there shouldn't be if what he'd done was visiting a prostitute (outside of some political history where he gained or kept power through campaigning on this matter... his pursuit of corruption in the financial world didn't include going after execs for using prostitutes, for example). But it will hurt his future as America has a pathological condition as regards penises and vaginas.

Totally, wrong! Do you know anything at all about Spitzer and politics in NY State? He has campaigned on and continually harangued other politicians (Troopergate and NY's Senator Bruno)-- pursuing corruption and busting up at least 2 prostitution rings. He is and should be drummed out of office...because he focused his Governorship on corruption and cleaning up NY State government.

This is just a plain slam-dunk
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:50 pm
Advocate wrote:
I guess that any resignation would depend on his popularity in NY State. Clinton comes to mind inasmuch he was polling in high numbers during White Water.

AOL ran a poll on Spitzer, and I was surprised how negative people were to him. It was, of course, a national poll, not representative of the feeling of people of NY.

Well, he's been targeted with a pretty unrelenting propaganda campaign from corners of the financial world who would rather not be subject to laws and regulations, and by the Republican party in NY, and by the right wing noise machine because of the above and because he was clearly a Dem who looked to have a future. One would have a tough time finding any footage from Fox, for example, that said positive things about Spitzer.

Quote:
Also, NY1, a television station in New York City, reports that the floor of the New York Stock Exchange erupted in cheers when the news broke. Spitzer made his reputation in part by actively going after elements within the financial sector during his time as New York's attorney general.
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:51 pm
This is just a plain slam-dunk. It is NOT a sign of some puritanical sexual ethics matter.

Of course, a few voices were heard cheering on NY STock Exchange/ He pursued crooks on Insurance fraud and NYSE Securities fraud. There a few crooks still there too. The fact that Spitzer is a sanctimonious annoying twerp doesn't help matters.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:56 pm
Re: plain slam-dunk
Ragman wrote:
blatham wrote:
So far, no resignation. And there shouldn't be if what he'd done was visiting a prostitute (outside of some political history where he gained or kept power through campaigning on this matter... his pursuit of corruption in the financial world didn't include going after execs for using prostitutes, for example). But it will hurt his future as America has a pathological condition as regards penises and vaginas.

Totally, wrong! Do you know anything at all about Spitzer and politics in NY State? He has campaigned on and continually harangued other politicians (Troopergate and NY's Senator Bruno)-- pursuing corruption and busting up at least 2 prostitution rings. He is and should be drummed out of office...because he focused his Governorship on corruption and cleaning up NY State government.

This is just a plain slam-dunk

How did I know someone like you would put this under the heading of "corruption". How many in the US military, for example, can never (by your formula) hold public office because they have visited a prostitute? Give me a guess, please.

As regards his pursuit or prosecution of individuals involved in prostitution rings, can you advise me whether any of those cases involved other than matters regarding under age females?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 04:02 pm
Way off topic
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 04:02 pm
I'll be surprised if the email thing isn't a bcc type clerical error, unfortunate at that.

On Spitzer and a prostitute, I don't know enough background yet for making a judgement from afar, but I take it as stupid politically/socially, if nothing else, a tad self-destructive.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 04:04 pm
Blatham:
What does this mean "How did I know someone like you would put this under the heading of "corruption". ? it has been reported that he arranged to transport a hooker from NY to Wash Dc, therein breaking the FEDERAL law (see Mann Act) for the purposes of partaking of prostitution. This is a breach of a Federal law even though johns, particularly acting governors, are NOT prosecuted.

Someone like me? What do you know of me? Clearly NOTHING whatsoever.

In your poor analogy you made about military members and prostitutes ...the john is NOT arrested -- the hooker is. Also, the military is not functioning as Governor and not in Executive branch of State Govt.

You will see his resignation.

The phrase 'forsaken his oath of office' will be heard repeatedly. Read the news, fercrissakes! He built his whole reputation on routing illegal practices and corruption. Last time I looked prostitution rings are illegal. Oh yes, and fact is that he was using (allegedly $2600) public funds for this too. Niiice
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 05:18 pm
blatham wrote:

The problem is that Spitzer's approval rating is at 30%. This could be the straw that broke the camel's back. Then there are arguments that he broke several statutes (The Mann Act) in contracting for the services of this "agency."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 05:36 pm
Thing is, the self destructive risk adds a component to the fun, as we all know. Interesting however it works out.

I have to add that I've been reading quite a history of Brazil (Death in Brazil, which I keep mentioning), including following its leaders over time, and given what I read on that this morning, this seems like a feather of being baaaaad. But, when you set yourself up as prosecutor, you build, many times, a house of cards, and sure, the house stands not least by the laws and their upholding.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 05:39 pm
Yup, part of the thrill is the vicariousness of the rendezvous.

Dunno what it is about lawyers and pols but all of them are freaks in one way or the other.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 05:43 pm
I know some sane lawyers and politicians. But I take your point.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 05:46 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I know some sane lawyers and politicians. But I take your point.

Doubtful that you know them like I do. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:03 pm
Roxxxxanne, I know a couple of politicians, but not 'like you do'. Still, I stand by that there are some good ones.

On lawyers, a large group. Well, re both groups, there is a certain attraction to control and order, with a potential for a possible enthusiasm for the opposite in a controlled way. I really doubt that is a universal. And, even with those who may have attractions to "letting go", many probably do 'good on earth'.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:05 pm
Apparently Spitzer allegedly is known by this ring called The Emperor's Club as Client #9 (or George Fox...a Spitzer staffer).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:06 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Thing is, the self destructive risk adds a component to the fun, as we all know. Interesting however it works out.

I have to add that I've been reading quite a history of Brazil (Death in Brazil, which I keep mentioning), including following its leaders over time, and given what I read on that this morning, this seems like a feather of being baaaaad. But, when you set yourself up as prosecutor, you build, many times, a house of cards, and sure, the house stands not least by the laws and their upholding.

Yup, his prosecutorial role (and zest) immediately puts him at particular risk for payback in such a situation. And those who don't like him will take this opportunity to bring him down, or try. My immediate response to hearing of this was similar to bethie's, "You numbskull!"

But I hope he can find some way to avoid resigning. As a moral matter, other than what one assumes would likely have been a violation of agreements, explicit or implicit, with his wife/family, I have no problem with what he did. In a lot of other countries, this would be a non-issue. Whereas, I've been a big fan of his concentration on the seriously ugly parts of the US financial world.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:07 pm
Blatham: he broke the law. What don't you get? He is Chief Constitutional Officer of Ny State.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:09 pm
Ragman wrote:
Blatham: he broke the law. What don't you get? He is Chief Constitutional Officer of Ny State.

That is not a criterion that impresses me.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:11 pm
osso wrote :

Quote:
I'll be surprised if the email thing isn't a bcc type clerical error, unfortunate at that.

are you suggesting he had a clerk sent the email ?
if that's the case , the clerk should be severely reprimanded :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:12 pm
Well, in a day or two..all this debate will be over. He will be forced to resign his office.
0 Replies