Would anyone like to host a small stuffed squirrel?

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:15 pm
My mom is close to a family that includes a 3rd-grader I'll call Rocky. (That's actually the name of the squirrel.) Rocky has a school project where the squirrel is to travel to as many places as possible by April 13th, 2007. My mom enlisted me in this because we (especially E.G.) tend to travel a lot, but we don't really have much going on between now and then. So I thought that maybe the far-flung A2K members would be interested.

It involves:

1.) Giving me your actual address (so you'd have to be comfortable with that).

2.) Being someone I know and trust -- I don't want to risk sending the squirrel to a bad end.

3.) Being able to take a picture of the squirrel in your area and fill out a short (half-page) questionnaire about your area.

4.) Being able to send the squirrel on to the next person, who fulfills conditions 1 and 2. The squirrel is about 5 inches long and comes with a pouch and a booklet, shipping shouldn't be much but it might be something, especially if it's intercontinental.

Additional factors:

Please don't mention A2K by name. (Privacy thing.)

Please only do this if it really sounds interesting and you'd like to, not as a favor to me. I thought it'd be cool if the squirrel went all over the world, but this is a project I was kind of reluctantly dragged into and if the travel is even just to different local communities here in Columbus that fulfills the assignment, no urgency 'tall.

If you want to post squirrel pictures here that'd be cool, to track his progress if his progress is among A2K'ers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 22,110 • Replies: 507
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:20 pm
Well that was fast!

The squirrel's on his way to Germany! (Thanks, Walter!)
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
Rocky in Vienna, Austria?
If you want to send him- I'll take him on a sight seeing tour.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
I'd be happy to show squirrel around Manchester and Liverpool.

...and I could send squirrel off to Finland.

Gladly send you my address.

x
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:31 pm
Oooh, fabulous! Thanks, guys.

Walter will be getting the squirrel first (I'm filling out the questionnaire thingie now, then will send it off), and then he can decide where to send the squirrel next.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:37 pm
Well, actually it's awaited here already by its new German friend ...

http://i10.tinypic.com/3yg7sko.jpg
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
It is sad to think that a freakin stuffed squirrel is going on a better trip than I ever took.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
And the PMs keep rolling in! You guys are so cool.

Walter was the first one, so here's what I think I'm going to do.

I'll send the squirrel to Walter. He can then decide whether to a) send it to a random person of his devising or b) send it to the next person on the list (below). The list is in chronological order (some from here, some from PMs).

1.) Walter
2.) Ul
3.) Smorgs
4.) Dys

At this point, Walter will be sending the squirrel to the next person, so don't PM me your address (unless you want to be on my Christmas list for next year, which is fine. :-))

You can continue to say you're interested here or via PM, and I'll add you to the list.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:05 pm
I could add some addresses for to your christmas list as well, soz :wink:

I think soz' plan should be followed = I'll send the squirrel to ul ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:15 pm
Vinny Z wrote:
It is sad to think that a freakin stuffed squirrel is going on a better trip than I ever took.

LOL!

And yeah, send the squirrel on over to Budapest, why not. (I'd provide the address of where to, whenever it's my turn for it to be sent to). (Wait, that sentence didnt make sense grammatically, but you understand.)

Vinny Z can also be gladly sent this way - but I aint gonna pay the postage for sending him on.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:20 pm
The only thing we (Europeans) should have in mind is that it takes some time for the squirrel to get back (8 days a small parcel/big letter from Germany to NM, Illinois and California [all tested several times], a bit longer the other way around [no idea where it stucks ... I suspect at the customs in Frankfurt airport].
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:25 pm
Good point -- maybe the European tour first (I so agree, Vinny!) and then back to Albuquerque. (Would it be faster within Europe, Walter?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Rocky Squirrelly can visit me during his time in Albuquerque, no postage necessary. Might even take him for a nice meal at the Flying Star on Rio Grande.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Rocky Squirrelly can visit me during his time in Albuquerque, no postage necessary. Might even take him for a nice meal at the Flying Star on Rio Grande.

Hmmm, is there a time limit for Rocky's travels?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
(Would it be faster within Europe, Walter?)

Most certainly - e.g. two to three days to Vienna :wink:
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:30 pm
Hey, nimh, thanks for the invite to Budapest. I was thinking about the Poconos, but Budapest would be nice, too, and that sentence made perfect sense to me which probably says something about you or about me or about both of us.
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:32 pm
Hey Walter Hinteler, what shots will the little guy need?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:34 pm
Actually, Vinny Z, it will be more than surprised to see here only brown cousins. And not only stuffed ones like the one in my pic, but real ones a couple of yards outside :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:35 pm
Needs to be back to his school in Minneapolis by April 13th. But I'd like him sent back to me for the last leg, so, good point -- let's say back to me by April 5th, 2007.

He's all packaged up and ready to go, in a small and sturdy Amazon box that could be used for the whole thing, hopefully. (10" X 7" X 2.5") There are only 8 pages left in the booklet (9 total, I used one), so we might be getting close to the limit already.

Let's see, we have

1.) Me
2.) Walter
3.) Ul
4.) Smorgs
5.) nimh
6.) Dys
7.) Osso

So just two more (probably realistic to not have too many more in terms of getting back in time, too).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:37 pm
I'll back out and be part of the Dys package, give another person a chance.
0 Replies