Teaching English in Malaysia

annifa

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 08:26 am
"Engage your readers?"
Readers... will you collectively marry me? I wish to become engaged with you all...

Ok - Seriously, better keep this short as I am meant to be working...
I wish to teach English in Malaysia.
I am a Graduate in English Literature from the UK, however I do not have the TEFL/TESOL/CELTA qualification - what are the chances of turning up and securing a teaching internship to work, earn ££ and gain the qualification? This would be the happiest eventuality as I am limited fund-wise and getting myself the qualification beforehand would mean a serious belt tightening... Which is possible... but is it really necessary? I have heard numerous stories of native English speakers securing jobs teaching English very easily with no TEFL qualification... however this was in Thailand... Anyone know what the situation would be like in Malaysia?

I have done hours and hours and hours of google research / emailing etc so I'm just throwing it out to you lot too in an effort to get as much information and advice as possible!

Thank you all... (back to work!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,211 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JTT

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@annifa,
I don't know how tough it would be to get a job in Malaysia, Annifa. Normally, the countries that pay the biggest buck demand the most credentials and Malaysia doesn't seem like it would be the highest paying.

Why not put your name in with a recruiting agency? These are companies that recruit teachers for various countries in the world.

Type "ESL Recruitment Companies" into Google.

Footprints seems to be a reliable company; no I don't work for them. Smile

http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/

NO FEES - we offer FREE ESL teacher placement services for native English speakers.
NO COURSES - all you need is a bachelor's degree in any discipline.
FREE SUPPORT - we place you in a job and we support you all year.
ENGLISH ONLY - no job requires you to speak the local language.
0 Replies