New "Boss"...Same as Old "Boss"

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:34 am
Setanta wrote:
How many threads were there prior to the new Congress in which people complained about the Republicans working a four day week . . . oh yeah, NONE . . . hypocrites.

Therein lies the appropriate title to this thread...

SAME OLD BOSS.....SAME OLD BULLSH!T...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:39 am
That's right, same old whine, same old bullshit.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:06 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
It doesn't matter who worked where or who worked when, the fact remains that it only took the Dems about 3 days to break their word of a 5 day work week.

That's just it, I don't think they actually are breaking it. If I get a job where the boss tells me it is a five day workweek, that does not mean there are no holidays off. I'll admit the football game thing is pretty unusual, but taking Martin Luther King Day is off is to be expected. All the other Federal and State workers have it off, as well as a fair number of other people.

Baldimo wrote:
I'll cut them some slack for now, but lets see how all of this works out in the long run. Lets hope they do indeed agree to work that 5 day week they said they would.

That sounds fair. At the end, or even the midpoint of the session, let's take a look at how many weeks they worked a five day week and how many they worked a four day week. While I am sure they might be a few holidays off that some might look askance at, if they work a five day week more often than not, I think it is fair to say they lived up to their promise.

I don't think the politicians should be taking off holidays that not all govt employees get off. Deployed soldiers don't get any holidays off and at most times don't even get any days off. When I was deployed I got one day a week off. We worked 10+ hr days and as stated didn't get off any holidays. I think our politicians should be working the same hrs and days. As long as troops are being deployed the politicians should work as hard as they do.

Talk about sacrifice and giving something up. That has been a complaint of most anti-war type people from the beginning. No one has been asked to give up anything. So I say the politicians give up days off and holidays in support of the troops.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:09 am
yeah but you volunteered for the work. these politicians are SENT to Washington by the people. It's not like they asked for the job or anything.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:17 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Okay, when was the last year your kids were in school?

Now.

The year was 1981 when I first encountered MLK day. Taxachusetts was the first to recognize it.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't "President's Day" created to offset the new MLK holiday, giving up Washinton's and Lincoln's birthdays?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:19 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
yeah but you volunteered for the work. these politicians are SENT to Washington by the people. It's not like they asked for the job or anything.

Huh?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:20 am
He was being facetious.

I think this is a 'let's get ready to start bitching, fellow Righties' thread than anything else.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:23 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He was being facetious.

I think this is a 'let's get ready to start bitching, fellow Righties' thread than anything else.

Cycloptichorn

Is it really any different then the numerious "lets continue bitching fellow lefties" threads that have been going on for the last 6 years?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:25 am
Baldimo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He was being facetious.

Cycloptichorn

Is it really any different then the numerious "lets continue bitching fellow lefties" threads that have been going on for the last 6 years?

other than the fact that it's yalls turn to be the whiny little girls who complain but offer no alternatives..... no. No difference at all. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:29 am
Baldimo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He was being facetious.

Cycloptichorn

Nope, other than the fact that you are on the outside now

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:34 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Okay, when was the last year your kids were in school?

cjhsa wrote:
Now.

Do your kids have Martin Luther King Day off this year?

And are the banks closed in your state on the day?

cjhsa wrote:
The year was 1981 when I first encountered MLK day. Taxachusetts was the first to recognize it.

Okay, so at that point Martin Luther King Day was a state holday, not a national one. In the intervening quarter century, it has become a national holiday. A simple concept to understand, I think.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:38 am
kelticwizard wrote:

Do your kids have Martin Luther King Day off this year?

NO - thought I was pretty clear.

And are the banks closed in your state on the day?

Yes, as in all states. You cannot operate a bank with the fed closed.

Okay, so at that point Martin Luther King Day was a state holday, not a national one. In the intervening quarter century, it has become a national holiday. A simple concept to understand, I think.

Just think of all those poor streets with no names if it wasn't for MLK.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:09 am
cjhsa wrote:
I could be mistaken, but wasn't "President's Day" created to offset the new MLK holiday, giving up Washinton's and Lincoln's birthdays?

Yes, you're mistaken. There is no such thing as "President's Day." Title 5, Section 6103 of the United States Code designates the following as federal holidays:
    New Year's Day, January 1. Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., the third Monday in January. [b]Washington's Birthday, the third Monday in February.[/b] Memorial Day, the last Monday in May. Independence Day, July 4. Labor Day, the first Monday in September. Columbus Day, the second Monday in October. Veterans Day, November 11. Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November. Christmas Day, December 25.

Lincoln's birthday has never been a federal holiday, although it's a state holiday in Illinois (as is Pulaski Day).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:12 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
woiyo wrote:
"Turnabout is fair play "

No, it is not. Not when you are supposed to represent The People.

I wasn't speaking of the Congress... I was speaking of the day to day whiners on the right who seem to be quickly adapting to their role as replacements for the day to day whiners from the left :wink:

Are you whining for the right or the left these days, BPB?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:13 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He was being facetious.

Cycloptichorn

Really? You think this is for the sake of "bitching"?

You actually think that Democrats have the best interests of the "PEOPLE" in mind when they decide to take actions such as the above?

Do you really believe that politicians representing the Democratic Party have different intentions then those politicians who represent the Republican Party?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:14 am
I'm not whining at all.... I'm enjoying watching the powder keg and waiting for the inevtable explosion.... I love fireworks.

I decided in the last year or so that idealism is for pussies.... we're f*cked...might as well lube up and relax.

I'm about running my own program and enjoying the time alloted to me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:16 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He was being facetious.

Cycloptichorn

Really? You think this is for the sake of "bitching"?

You actually think that Democrats have the best interests of the "PEOPLE" in mind when they decide to take actions such as the above?

Do you really believe that politicians representing the Democratic Party have different intentions then those politicians who represent the Republican Party?
Rolling Eyes

Yup - I have consistently maintained that the Dems are slightly less corrupt than the Republicans. I also agree with far more of their proposed legistlative goals.

So it seems that they most certainly have my best interests in mind...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:26 am
joefromchicago wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Yes, you're mistaken. There is no such thing as "President's Day." Title 5, Section 6103 of the United States Code designates the following as federal holidays:
    New Year's Day, January 1. Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., the third Monday in January. [b]Washington's Birthday, the third Monday in February.[/b] Memorial Day, the last Monday in May. Independence Day, July 4. Labor Day, the first Monday in September. Columbus Day, the second Monday in October. Veterans Day, November 11. Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November. Christmas Day, December 25.

Lincoln's birthday has never been a federal holiday, although it's a state holiday in Illinois (as is Pulaski Day).

If there's no such thing as Presidents' Day, how would they ever sell all that leftover car stereo equipment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidents'_Day_(United_States)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:28 am
or furniture?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:40 am
At any rate, Martin Luther King Day is Federal holiday, federal offices are closed, state offices are closed, and most school districts are closed.

Overall 31 percent of the workforce gets the day off.

Given these facts, I fail to see how Drudge can find something surprising that Congress is off on Martin Luther King Day.
0 Replies