New "Boss"...Same as Old "Boss"

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
The "giddyness" being shown by the Democratic Party faithful should be tempered by the fact that they are no better than their counterparts. Just a few "tid-bits' from their first 100 hours...

http://drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

"DEM VOW ALREADY BROKEN: HOUSE SETS 4-DAY WORK WEEK
Sun Jan 07 2007 15:03:38 ET

Democrats ran to expand the work week in the House to 5 days.

But guess how long that lasted?

Not even one week!

"Culture Shock on Capitol Hill: House to Work 5 Days a Week" front-paged the WASHINGTON POST in December.

Majority leader Steny Hoyer said members of the House will be expected in the Capitol for votes each week by 6:30 p.m. Monday and will finish their business about 2 p.m. Friday.

Explained the POST: "Forget the minimum wage. Or outsourcing jobs overseas. The labor issue most on the minds of members of Congress yesterday was their own: They will have to work five days a week starting in January."

But on the morning after the night before, on the first full week of the new congress, Hoyer has pulled back from his vow!

A Hoyer press release obtained by the DRUDGE REPORT boldly declares: "Monday, January 8, 2007: The House is not in session."

Hill sources claim The House is taking Monday 'off' this week, because of the championship football game between Ohio State and the University of Florida.

And, of course, the following Monday is the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.

100 hours...starting...soon

Developing..."

Isn't that special!! A 4 day work week!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070106-115506-5182r.htm

"One of the first key procedural votes in the Democrat-controlled House last week established legislative rules that Republicans say will make it easier to raise taxes by a simple majority vote.
The straight party-line vote received little attention Thursday as Rep. Nancy Pelosi, California Democrat, was elected speaker of the House. But Republican leaders and conservative tax-cut advocates said it opened up a huge loophole in a Republican-imposed rule drawn from the Republicans' 1994 Contract with America, which requires a supermajority, or three-fifths vote, to raise taxes.
Democrats unanimously voted down a motion offered by Minority Leader John A. Boehner of Ohio that would have prevented them from waiving the rule, a move that tax-cutters said signaled the Democrats' intention to raise taxes between now and the 2008 elections.
"American taxpayers need to hold on to their wallets because the new House rules concerning taxes are not worth the paper they're written on," said Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform (ATR). "

Watch your wallets!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,779 • Replies: 44
No top replies

MizunoMan

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:01 am
No surprise there.

The only thing the Democrats consistently stand for is standing for nothing consistent.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:05 am
you guys sure hold the dems to different standards.....

although I do agree with the title of the thread.... now where's my guitar?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:10 am
And I'd thought, George II was crowned again.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:22 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

It isn't a different standard we are holding them to, it is their word we are holding them to. I work at least 5 days a week and depending on which weekend it is, I can work up to 7 days a week.

They made a big deal out of working 5 days a week and when it comes to do it, they back off. For a group of people who support the "working class" I don't see them wanting to work like the working class.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:27 am
Baldimo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

It isn't a different standard we are holding them to, it is their word we are holding them to. I work at least 5 days a week and depending on which weekend it is, I can work up to 7 days a week.

They made a big deal out of working 5 days a week and when it comes to do it, they back off. For a group of people who support the "working class" I don't see them wanting to work like the working class.

first off let's see if it's consistent.... second off if this is the biggest problem they create it'll be a damn big relief from their predecessors....if they're still not working nexct month check back.....

now the godless democrats and liberals can look forward to ignoring and not giving a damn about the nitpicking whining of the "bring honor and deecency back to the white house" crowd.

Turnabout is fair play :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:29 am
Cut their week to 1 day a week, and don't let them hold meetings the other 4, I say. Still, as a compromise, 4 days is not as dangerous as 5.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:35 am
"Turnabout is fair play "

No, it is not. Not when you are supposed to represent The People.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:38 am
woiyo wrote:
"Turnabout is fair play "

No, it is not. Not when you are supposed to represent The People.

I wasn't speaking of the Congress... I was speaking of the day to day whiners on the right who seem to be quickly adapting to their role as replacements for the day to day whiners from the left :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:46 am
You'll have to excuse Nancy. She had a hangover.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:57 am
First, the Democrats have not abandoned the five day workweek, they have made a couple of exceptions for the first two weeks. I'll admit the college football championship is unusual, but everyone knows Washington is a football-mad town, and if a third or more Congressmen and Senators have tickets for the game, maybe they ought to close down. The point is that this is a once-a-year event. We'll see how many more unusual exceptions occur over the course of the session.

Drudge wrote:

That's right, The Congress is taking Martin Luther King's Birthday off. Banks are closed in all or most states that day. Schools are closed that day. Federal and state offices are closed that day. And as you would expect, the Congress is closed that day.

And Drudge's problem with this IS...........?

Fact is, suppose the Democrats are extra generous to the Congress and give them a day off half the time. That means that half the time they work a four day workweek, and half the time they work a five day workweek. Compare that to their predecessors who worked a three day workweek all the time, and the Dems look like busy bees in comparison.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:01 am
Not all schools close for MLK day. In fact, the last two school systems my kids were in stayed open, one in California, the other in Michigan.

When I was in college in Boston, I was leaving for class one Monday in January when I was stopped by some classmates who wondered where I was going on a holiday. Holiday? What holiday?

The last thing our government needs is another holiday.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:06 am
kelticwizard wrote:
First, the Democrats have not abandoned the five day workweek, they have made a couple of exceptions for the first two weeks. I'll admit the college football championship is unusual, but everyone knows Washington is a football-mad town, and if a third or more Congressmen and Senators have tickets for the game, maybe they ought to close down. The point is that this is a once-a-year event. We'll see how many more unusual exceptions occur over the course of the session.

Drudge wrote:

That's right, The Congress is taking Martin Luther King's Birthday off. Banks are closed in all or most states that day. Schools are closed that day. Federal and state offices are closed that day. And as you would expect, the Congress is closed that day.

And Drudge's problem with this IS...........?

Fact is, suppose the Democrats are extra generous to the Congress and give them a day off half the time. That means that half the time they work a four day workweek, and half the time they work a five day workweek. Compare that to their predecessors who worked a three day workweek all the time, and the Dems look like busy bees in comparison.

It doesn't matter who worked where or who worked when, the fact remains that it only took the Dems about 3 days to break their word of a 5 day work week.

I'll cut them some slack for now, but lets see how all of this works out in the long run. Lets hope they do indeed agree to work that 5 day week they said they would.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:10 am
Quote:
The new Democratic leadership in the House of Representatives has announced that members should expect to work a five-day week.

How novel. No more get in town Tuesday night and leave on Thursday afternoon.

Ironically, this has been met by howls of protest from some of the younger Republican members who claim that the Democrats are not being "family friendly," since their families are back in their home districts.
I have several responses to this.

First, if these younger Republican members are so worried about spending time with their families back home, they shouldn't have run for a job that takes them to Washington, D.C. They should have run for their local city council or county commissioners court.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:13 am
cjhsa wrote:
Not all schools close for MLK day. In fact, the last two school systems my kids were in stayed open, one in California, the other in Michigan.
Okay, when was the last year your kids were in school?

cjhsa wrote:
When I was in college in Boston, I was leaving for class one Monday in January when I was stopped by some classmates who wondered where I was going on a holiday. Holiday? What holiday?

If I interpret this incident correctly, you are saying that your classmates knew Martin Luther King Day was a holiday even back then and you did not. So they were right, and you were wrong. Is there a point to this story?

cjhsa wrote:

Too late, you already have one. Martin Luther King Day was signed into law as a holiday by St. Ronald himself in 1983, and took effect in 1986, while he was still in office. The banks are closed, and almost all the school systems are closed, with more every year.
Quote:
At the White House Rose Garden on November 2, 1983, Reagan signed a bill creating a federal holiday to honor King. It was observed for the first time on January 20, 1986.

On January 17, 2000, for the first time, Martin Luther King Day was officially observed in all 50 U.S. states.[4] The day is marked by demonstrations for peace, social justice and racial and class equality, as well as a national day of volunteer community service.

On January 16, 2006 Greenville County, South Carolina was the last county in the U.S. to officially adopt Martin Luther King Day as a paid holiday.
Source.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:20 am
cjhsa wrote:

If it was a holiday for some white guy who invented a gun I'm sure you'd be in church Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:23 am
How many threads were there prior to the new Congress in which people complained about the Republicans working a four day week . . . oh yeah, NONE . . . hypocrites.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:24 am
Baldimo wrote:
It doesn't matter who worked where or who worked when, the fact remains that it only took the Dems about 3 days to break their word of a 5 day work week.

That's just it, I don't think they actually are breaking it. If I get a job where the boss tells me it is a five day workweek, that does not mean there are no holidays off. I'll admit the football game thing is pretty unusual, but taking Martin Luther King Day is off is to be expected. All the other Federal and State workers have it off, as well as a fair number of other people.

Baldimo wrote:
I'll cut them some slack for now, but lets see how all of this works out in the long run. Lets hope they do indeed agree to work that 5 day week they said they would.

That sounds fair. At the end, or even the midpoint of the session, let's take a look at how many weeks they worked a five day week and how many they worked a four day week. While I am sure they might be a few holidays off that some might look askance at, if they work a five day week more often than not, I think it is fair to say they lived up to their promise.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:28 am
Setanta wrote:
How many threads were there prior to the new Congress in which people complained about the Republicans working a four day week . . . oh yeah, NONE . . . hypocrites.

You're right, Set. That's because the Republicans were not working a four day week-they were scheduling only three day weeks. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:32 am
If this new congress can accomplish some of the meaningful changes they are speaking of I'll be satisfied if they do it in a one day work week.... I'm interested in results.

Hell if they do something that gets the bushco boys so worked up they have to sit on the stool with the runs all day I'll be pretty happy....
0 Replies