Pride before a fall.

Builder

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 02:30 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Builder wrote:

What is it with you yanks? Something in the water, perhaps? :wink:

Builder, some "yanks" such as Blatham are, indeed, Canadian. (Hint: The Avatar might give a clue.)

....and Blatham has a very dry sense of humour which obviously goes over the heads of some Aussies. :wink:

The bastard. He could have used a winky to assist the process. :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:45 am
Pleased to make your acquaintance, builder (and tip of hat to Lord E).

America, like most places or people I suppose, carries within itself all it really needs to destroy itself. Lincoln understood this and postulated precisely that eventuality for his country. The irony, and the tragedy, is that to many Americans the "truth" is directly opposite Lincoln's notion - that their nation and its people are so inherently good and exceptional that it must be some other external agency that might do it harm. And further, that it is America's goodness and exceptionalism which makes it an inevitable target of evil intentions floating about in the unexceptional others. At the same time, because certain facts remain obvious and undeniable, this national mythology allows for evil/destructive internal elements - but those elements are always unAmerican in nature or origin (commies, papists, agents of satan, european values, etc).

There's lots written on all this. If you are interested, I can certainly recommend the book below...
http://www.amazon.com/America-Right-Wrong-American-Nationalism/dp/0195168402
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
Don't hate us because we're beautiful.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:17 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Don't hate us because we're beautiful.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how to respond to that comment. :wink:

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/America's-Obese-C_d_1.jpg
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:25 am
blatham wrote:
Pleased to make your acquaintance, builder (and tip of hat to Lord E).

America, like most places or people I suppose, carries within itself all it really needs to destroy itself. Lincoln understood this and postulated precisely that eventuality for his country. The irony, and the tragedy, is that to many Americans the "truth" is directly opposite Lincoln's notion - that their nation and its people are so inherently good and exceptional that it must be some other external agency that might do it harm. And further, that it is America's goodness and exceptionalism which makes it an inevitable target of evil intentions floating about in the unexceptional others. At the same time, because certain facts remain obvious and undeniable, this national mythology allows for evil/destructive internal elements - but those elements are always unAmerican in nature or origin (commies, papists, agents of satan, european values, etc).

There's lots written on all this. If you are interested, I can certainly recommend the book below...
http://www.amazon.com/America-Right-Wrong-American-Nationalism/dp/0195168402

Thanks for the link, Blatham.

I think that with 300 million people living in states with differing laws, religious mindsets, habits, personal beliefs, and monetary needs, there will always be people whose very nature is destructive and self-serving.

On the patriotism issue, when needed, patriotism is a postive tangible substance, well worth encouraging, but when it is manipulated by greedy lying pricks to line their own pockets, the populace needs to take stock of their own malleability, and look closely at themselves for answers to their own problems. The scapegoat mentality closely follows faux patriotism.

I still think there is hope for America. I believe the incumbent political system needs a top-to-bottom shake-up and clean-out, and some rationality brought into foreign policy and spending, but with a worker-base that large, the end of the tunnel is not that far off.

Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:33 am
And Canada has a cricket team.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 06:27 am
hi builder
You're welcome for the link. Anything by that author (you can find articles online for free) are well worth reading.

deadpan
Does Canada have a national cricket team? I didn't even know.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
blatham wrote:
hi builder
You're welcome for the link. Anything by that author (you can find articles online for free) are well worth reading.

deadpan
Does Canada have a national cricket team? I didn't even know.

Blatham: Shame shame shame. Your team will play against England in the group matches of the cricket world cup in the west indies. And I would just love it if you won.
http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/events/worldcup/schedule.html

Artical from CBC world sports 2003 world cup
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 07:54 am
I greatly accept the information. I return the invitation to shame, unopened.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:23 am
Good to see this thread revived.

My only problem with Canada is that now I'll have to remember to make sure I'm carrying my passport every time I take a leisurely drive north of Boston. I used to hop across the border for a quick visit to Montreal on a weekend just on a whim. Never needed any documentation; sometimes they didn't even ask to see a driver's license when crossing the border. All the Canadian Customs people seemed to be concerned about was whether I was carrying a firearm or large quantities of alcohol or tobacco.

But that little inconvenience, of course, was also engineered by Bush&Co., not the Canajuns. I'll be in Texas in April and will likely want to make a quick visit to Mexico at some point. Another place I never needed a passport before all this "pride" stuff and sudden concern over illegal aliens came to the fore.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 10:32 am
Andrew, you better take your passport to Mexico, even if it's just across
the border. I'll be going in April as well (just TJ) and was instructed to
take my passport unless I'd like to make the acquaintance of the local immigration hot shots.

And please watch the minutemen as well, Andrew, they're all to zealous in their mission.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:30 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Andrew, you better take your passport to Mexico, even if it's just across
the border. I'll be going in April as well (just TJ) and was instructed to
take my passport unless I'd like to make the acquaintance of the local immigration hot shots.

And please watch the minutemen as well, Andrew, they're all to zealous in their mission.

Thx for the advice, CJ. Like you, I plan only to cross the bridge between ElPaso and Ciudad Juarez but who needs to be hassled by immigartion authorities? (Especially since -- also like you -- I'm not US-born but a naturalized citizen.)
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:19 pm
Interesting vote spread.

If you could add a possible answer to the poll, how would you word it?
0 Replies