among youth. The problem...is Americans, not just [President] Bush. In
increasing numbers, people around the globe resent U.S. power and
wealth and reject specific actions such as the occupation of Iraq and
the campaign against democratically elected Palestinian
leaders...America's image problem is pervasive, deep and perhaps
permanent, analysts say, an inevitable outcome of being the world's
only superpower."

The Power of Pride has pissed away 230 years of American history. "

I can not agree with this authors opinions.

The WORLD still looks to America for aid and trade. The WORLD always comes to America in times of need bet it military or humaitarian.

The WORLD has become a more peaceful place in the 200 or so years America has been a nation.

Bush has NOT destroyed the history of this nation as YOU and the author suggest. Those who think as you and the author are shortsighted and likely ignorant of the relavence American still commands in the World today.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:59 am
I would ask how many of you people who seem to hate the US are leaving for greener pastures. In my opinion warts and all this is the greatest nation that has ever existed. As for the bump in the road we are now experiencing caused by the empty barrel in the white house. In time we shall overcome.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:54 am
au1929 wrote:
I would ask how many of you people who seem to hate the US are leaving for greener pastures.

What are you talking about? Who is leaving? And whom is arriving?

au1929 wrote:
In my opinion warts and all this is the greatest nation that has ever existed. As for the bump in the road we are now experiencing caused by the empty barrel in the white house. In time we shall overcome.

Nice positive thoughts. The image is tarnished, and needs a good scrub-up.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:54 am
Builder wrote:
au1929 wrote:
I would ask how many of you people who seem to hate the US are leaving for greener pastures.

au1929 wrote:
In my opinion warts and all this is the greatest nation that has ever existed. As for the bump in the road we are now experiencing caused by the empty barrel in the white house. In time we shall overcome.

Despite the actions of the crud in the white house can you think of any nation that has been or is better or a more shining example of what a nation should be or stand for.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:56 am
au1929 wrote:
Builder wrote:
au1929 wrote:

au1929 wrote:

Despite the actions of the crud in the white house can you think of any nation that has been or is better or a more shining example of what a nation should be or stand for.

I understand your point.

America is more than a nation, it is an idea, the idea of freedom and the Rule of Law. That's why the Bush crew are so dangerous - they threaten both Freedom and the Rule of Law. This has reverbrating effects as those around the world see this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 05:36 am
au1929 wrote:

Australia. But don't be thinking you can come over here. Stay where you are.

Please. Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
Builder wrote:
au1929 wrote:

Please. Very Happy

Why would anyone want to?? Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:33 pm
au1929 wrote:
Builder wrote:
au1929 wrote:

Please. Very Happy

Why not?

Almost a religious-fundy/neo-con-free-zone! (Compared to some other places I can think of. :wink: )

Now that's something not to be sneezed at!

Too bad about our federal government, but I guess you can't expect everything to be perfect!
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:40 am
Setanta wrote:
Builder wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Stupid, empty, prideful patriotism is not a fault confined to Americans.

Touche.

Although parochialism is more to the fore in Austalia.

Parochialism is equally a pan-human affliction. People in New York and Los Angeles despise those who don't live near them on their respective coasts, and display just as much the ignorance and arrogance of parochialism as do any other group of people anywhere else on the planet.

Sorry, Setanta, but I missed this reply of yours.

I'm a big believer in parochialism, and I never lose sight of the incredible variety and diversity of the populace that makes up the population of America.

It's a country without a comparable equal in the developed world.

I'm just hoping for some semblance of reality in the new regime. :wink:
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 04:47 am
au1929 wrote:
Builder wrote:
au1929 wrote:

Please. Very Happy

I guess that depends on what you want from life.

I crave open fields and streams, rivers full of fish, and nobody else to hassle me while I fish those rivers.

Call me selfish, but I like my wilderness experiences to not be clouded by others.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 05:18 am
Builder wrote:

Call me selfish, but I like my wilderness experiences to not be clouded by others.

I'd never call you a shellfish, Builder, even if you do get a little crabby sometimes.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:13 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Builder wrote:

I'd never call you a shellfish, Builder, even if you do get a little crabby sometimes.

The older I get, the thicker the carapace becomes. I like it.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 10:04 am
Okay then. This thread has sat idle for a few months now.

What's the update?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 11:25 am
I am still proud to be an American.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 11:42 am
tryingtohelp wrote:
I am still proud to be an American.

So am I - but I'm not proud of what America is on the way to becoming.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 11:53 am
I'm immensely proud that I was born in the Chilliwack General Hospital. It is a great hospital and being born there makes me measureably better as a human than people born elsewhere.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 01:09 pm
blatham wrote:
I'm immensely proud that I was born in the Chilliwack General Hospital. It is a great hospital and being born there makes me measureably better as a human than people born elsewhere.

That just about sums it up nicely. Laughing
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:28 am
blatham wrote:

Hmmm, I was born in the Royal Brisbane Women's hospital, and on the way home, my dad picked up a feral cat, which became my tiger tom-cat.

I don't feel particularly special, but I don't have an oedipus complex, nor a need to masturbate with hot apple pies, nor a desire to inflate my own ego above and beyond the required paramaters.

What is it with you yanks? Something in the water, perhaps? :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 01:56 am
blatham wrote:

Why?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 02:13 am
Builder wrote:
blatham wrote:

Hmmm, I was born in the Royal Brisbane Women's hospital, and on the way home, my dad picked up a feral cat, which became my tiger tom-cat.

I don't feel particularly special, but I don't have an oedipus complex, nor a need to masturbate with hot apple pies, nor a desire to inflate my own ego above and beyond the required paramaters.

What is it with you yanks? Something in the water, perhaps? :wink:

Builder, some "yanks" such as Blatham are, indeed, Canadian. (Hint: The Avatar might give a clue.)

....and Blatham has a very dry sense of humour which obviously goes over the heads of some Aussies. :wink:
0 Replies