Minimum Wage

okie

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 02:45 pm
Thomas wrote:
okie wrote:
This is really digging up the past, but remember poor Elian Gonzales. The poor kid whose mother died getting him here, to escape repression to a better life here, but Janet Reno felt so strongly that he should go back to Castro's Cuba that she took him at the point of a gun. It was so important to send him back to Castro and a dad that seldom saw him before, but millions of illegals and drug dealers coming across the border werre not a problem. Does that not say it all about the liberal lunatic fringe in this country?

This is not how I remember the story. The way I remember the story, the point was that with Elian's mother dead, the next person in line to assume the responsibility of parenthood was Elian's father, who lives in Cuba. It wasn't Elian's aunts and uncles in Florida. Janet Reno, and I assume Bill Clinton, thought it important that the law be upheld even if it's domestically unpopular, even if the beneficiary is a resident of Castro's Cuba, and even if Elian would have had a more prosperous life in the USA. That's a respectable position.

I don't know, to be honest, what the Elian Gonzalez case is doing in this thread. This wasn't about enforcing immigration law, it was about custody law.

It is not lost on many of us that the libs were very very interested in upholding the letter of the law in regard to Elian, but cannot care less about upholding immigration law. Besides, Elian's mother had custody when she died, so it seems to me a judge could simply rule an exception and grant custody to the uncle. Anybody heard from Elian lately?

Oh well, back to the subject.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:11 pm
okie wrote:
Thomas wrote:
okie wrote:
This is really digging up the past, but remember poor Elian Gonzales. The poor kid whose mother died getting him here, to escape repression to a better life here, but Janet Reno felt so strongly that he should go back to Castro's Cuba that she took him at the point of a gun. It was so important to send him back to Castro and a dad that seldom saw him before, but millions of illegals and drug dealers coming across the border werre not a problem. Does that not say it all about the liberal lunatic fringe in this country?

This is not how I remember the story. The way I remember the story, the point was that with Elian's mother dead, the next person in line to assume the responsibility of parenthood was Elian's father, who lives in Cuba. It wasn't Elian's aunts and uncles in Florida. Janet Reno, and I assume Bill Clinton, thought it important that the law be upheld even if it's domestically unpopular, even if the beneficiary is a resident of Castro's Cuba, and even if Elian would have had a more prosperous life in the USA. That's a respectable position.

I don't know, to be honest, what the Elian Gonzalez case is doing in this thread. This wasn't about enforcing immigration law, it was about custody law.

It is not lost on many of us that the libs were very very interested in upholding the letter of the law in regard to Elian, but cannot care less about upholding immigration law. Besides, Elian's mother had custody when she died, so it seems to me a judge could simply rule an exception and grant custody to the uncle. Anybody heard from Elian lately?

Oh well, back to the subject.

Michael Savage made a comment years ago. Elian Gonzalaze the only illegal alien the liberals haven't liked.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:27 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Michael Savage made a comment years ago. Elian Gonzalaze the only illegal alien the liberals haven't liked.

Baldimo, you may have it wrong. They love Elian, and they also believe they are doing Elian a great favor by making him go back to Cuba where they have universal health care and Cubans don't worship at the feet of evil capitalism. Remember, they think Castro is a great guy. Wait until he dies and you won't hear the end of how wonderful he was.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 06:33 am
This thread (Ive read up till page 6) perfectly illustrates how A2K is dominated by those who are economically conservative up to libertarian. Its not just A2K - throughout the forums Ive seen, frequent posters, usually relatively well-off folk enjoying their broadband internet, are unrepresentatively often economically on the libertarian side, just like they are usually culturally liberal. Those who are leftwing on economic policies are as underrepresented as those who are culturally conservative.

In particular it seems that those who are liberal on both counts will appear en masse if the topic is cultural (say, Cheney's lesbian daughter) - but not when the subject is a bread and butter issue like this one. For those libertarian-minded, on the other hand, an issue like raising the minimum wage for the first time in a decade by two bucks an hour constitutes a direct challenge of their economic orthodoxy, and will show up accordingly.

I find all this frustrating.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 06:38 am
But in the meantime, polls show something like 80% of the Americans actually supporting the minimum wage increase, and in state after state, referendums about raising it get massive approval.

And the turn for the better is showing up in state politics as much as it does on the federal level. This article describes the example of Indiana, and sketches a neat impression of the issue as well:

Quote:
Democrats set to seek higher minimum wage

The Courier-Journal

Democrats who control the Indiana House are poised to push legislation that would boost the state's minimum wage for the first time in a decade.

At least three House Democrats have filed bills that would increase the current minimum wage of $5.15 an hour by more than $2.

And Rep. Duane Cheney, the Portage Democrat who is chairman of the Labor and Employment Committee, said he plans a hearing on at least one of the bills soon.

"Work should have value," he said. "You can't go to the movies for $5, let alone try to supplement an income or certainly raise a family."

Gov. Mitch Daniels, a Republican, has said he's open to what he termed a reasonable increase, a "modernization" of the current rate.

But the GOP majority in the Senate -- where minority Democrats also have filed at least three bills -- might not be so receptive.

Pensions and Labor Committee Chairman Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn, said he doesn't plan to have hearings on any of the Senate bills.

He said fewer than 2 percent of Hoosiers earn the minimum wage, and many are teenagers.

"I think it's unnecessary to even have" a minimum wage, Kruse said. "Our society doesn't need it."

However, he said that if the House passes a minimum-wage bill, he may reconsider.

The Indiana debate rages as Democrats who control both houses of Congress work on similar legislation at the federal level. Last week the House voted to raise the federal minimum to $7.25 from $5.15 an hour over the next two years.

If that bill passes the Senate and President Bush signs it into law, thousands of workers in Indiana and millions across the nation would get an increase -- but not all of them.

The federal law doesn't cover some smaller companies that aren't engaged in interstate commerce. So Democrats in Indiana say it's still essential that the state pass its own wage bill.

[..] According to the Center for American Progress, a liberal think-tank, about 143,000 workers in Indiana would be affected by an increase to $7.25. [..]

29 states -- including Michigan, Ohio and Illinois -- have approved higher wages, many of them recently. And the Kentucky General Assembly is expected to consider an increase this year.

"It's been a very active issue the last three years," said Jeanne Mejeur, program director at the National Conference of State Legislatures. "There have been bills introduced and considered in 30 or 40 legislatures each of the last three years."

Also, voters in six states have increased the minimum wage through ballot measures. In each of those cases, the minimums will be adjusted annually for inflation.

That kind of adjustment is included in a bill filed in Indiana by Rep. Joe Micon, D-West Lafayette.

"Right now we're into this process where we increase the minimum wage and there's no adjustment for a period of years -- in this case a decade," Micon said. "And then we have to come back and make a major jump."

Cheney, the House committee chairman, said that he supports the concept of Micon's bill but that it might not make it into the final bill.

"I'm in a position of having to deal with what can move through the process," Cheney said last week. "And that may add a little too much weight."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 06:45 am
okie wrote:
they also believe they are doing Elian a great favor by making him go back to Cuba where they have universal health care and Cubans don't worship at the feet of evil capitalism. Remember, they think Castro is a great guy. Wait until he dies and you won't hear the end of how wonderful he was.

Oh, frankly, you need to stop talking out of your ass. Instead, check what A2K liberals, for example, are actually saying about Castro:

Unprecedented clampdown on Cuban dissidents

Fifty Years of the Cuban Revolution
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:43 am
nimh, Spot on! Thanks. T.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:55 pm
nimh wrote:
This thread (Ive read up till page 6) perfectly illustrates how A2K is dominated by those who are economically conservative up to libertarian. Its not just A2K - throughout the forums Ive seen, frequent posters, usually relatively well-off folk enjoying their broadband internet, are unrepresentatively often economically on the libertarian side, just like they are usually culturally liberal. Those who are leftwing on economic policies are as underrepresented as those who are culturally conservative.

In particular it seems that those who are liberal on both counts will appear en masse if the topic is cultural (say, Cheney's lesbian daughter) - but not when the subject is a bread and butter issue like this one. For those libertarian-minded, on the other hand, an issue like raising the minimum wage for the first time in a decade by two bucks an hour constitutes a direct challenge of their economic orthodoxy, and will show up accordingly.

I find all this frustrating.

I agree.

I have recently started a minimum wage job. I have often wondered about the financial background of those of you who think $10/hour would bankrupt the country. Have you ever worked for lousy wages (other than while studying at university or college -- we've all done that)? Have you ever had to choose between paying the rent or eating? How would it feel to go through life knowing you can never afford to buy a house or run a car even if one was given to you? I'm working for a little extra cash and to bump up my Canada Pension Plan credits at a temporary job which I know I can walk away from in about 10 weeks. It's unbelievably physically demanding, dirty, noisy and fast-paced. So far I'm keeping up, some days barely. I am paid $8.25 Canadian/hour. I realize I'm luckier than you Yanks as I have health coverage. I just read in the Toronto Star that a single mom of one child receives $1008/month on welfare here in Ontario. That's $10 less than my take-home pay. And don't think I'm bitching about welfare -- I don't know how anyone lives on that kind of money. A one bedroom apartment around here runs @ $800., a 2 bedroom @$1000. or you can get a room for @$450. -- so forget about being able to afford privacy. After rent and a bus pass ($80/month) you can eat but not much more. Forget high speed internet, forget cable TV. Sure these aren't necessities but most middle-class people have them. These jobs exist and we want someone to do them (and not illegal immigrants -- we sure don't want THEM stealing these lousy jobs Rolling Eyes ) but no one wants to pay a decent wage for them. I'd write more but frankly I'm exhausted after a long day.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:05 pm
Tai Chi, I was never that good in school, but struggled through while working (most of time at full-time jobs), and the miracle happened; I earned a degree in accounting. My motivation was simply that I hated to live paycheck to paycheck and still not have enough to survive.

Another miracle happened; after working 3.5 years as a traveling auditor for an international company, they promoted me to audit manager. From that beginning, I worked in management for the rest of my working career; a relatively short one of 32 years. I retired early, and now enjoy world travel.

If I can do it, so can you.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:40 pm
Sorry, C.I. I'm not actually mad on my account. I have rarely worked since starting a family -- my husband makes a good income, his hours are weird, and our decision was to have me keep the home fires burning. I'm an excellent money manager (no point being modest, I am) and so we have managed on one income for many years. I have a university degree but have never worked up to my potential because I was so seldom in the work force. I'm sorry to say your response is pretty much what I'm talking about -- the "everybody who really tries can do it" speech. I don't think that's true for one thing and then there's all these menial jobs that need doing -- who's going to do them and why can't they be paid a living wage? If people are going to be paid badly for these types of jobs then geared-to-income housing is a must (and I'm not talking ghettos here). And you Yanks need universal health coverage. Low income Canucks would love prescription and dental coverage too. Life long jobs with great benefits with only a high school diploma are disappearing -- just ask the auto workers. If higher wages aren't the answer then better social services had better be. I ran into one of my co-workers at the grocery store after work yesterday -- except she wasn't shopping; she'd changed her red shirt for a blue one; after 8 hours at one store she was putting in another 4 on a cash register at another -- 12 hours on her feet! No-one should have to work 60 hours a week to make ends meet.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:12 am
Tai Chi, you just said yourself that you never tried. Do you think you'd be working for minimum wage if you had been working since school? How long do you really think you'll have to do so?

I don't think anyone wants people to have to work crappy jobs for crappy money for malicious reasons... it is a reflection of supply and demand. The "living wage" you reference would almost certainly result in there being less jobs to go around, and the least employable among us are the ones who'd suffer the most. A crappy job for crappy money beats the snot out of no job at all (this is why they exist). Economic solutions based on Job creation are a much better way to solve your dilemma. Getting big brother's heavy foot off of small business's necks would go much further towards your desired end... than adding to their already heavy burdens.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:32 pm
Tai I agree that people should be able to earn a living wage, however, if you force salaries too high, you can hurt small business owners and/or possibly increase prices. Say for instance you go to a grocery to buy your food. The current price of milk is $2. The grocery store pays $5 an hour per worker as this is the equilibrium wage; the grocery store profits a certain amount. Now you double the salary, the grocery stores salary costs double. In order to make a profit they have to decrease their cost or increase their prices. So they either have to lay some people off causing others to carry a higher burden of work or they increase the price of milk or go out of business. Now milk costs $4. You still need milk.

You also don't need a higher degree to make more money - experience will increase your pay. Say you start at this grocery store at minimum wage, making $5 an hour. You are a bagger. After 6 months of work you get promoted to cashier, now you make $6. You get raises every 6 months because you are a superstar (and I would imagine just simply having gained experience). Hey you move up to head cashier, and start supervising, and so on.

From just going to grocery stores, I notice that most of the workers who probably make minimum wage or even a little above are teenagers and many just in talking to them are adults working part time to either keep busy or to have some additional income to their family. Most people who you would consider in these position that are bread winners could and will move up as they gain experience. Even my mom when she was working to add some extra money in a retail store was offered a job as an assistant manager after working their only 6 months.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:38 pm
In other words, we all make choices. Nobody ia forced to work at minimum wage jobs. Some people just need to take responsibility for their own life by pursuing an education, learning a skill, and/or job opportunities.

Complaining about low wages and doing nothing to improve oneself just doesn't cut it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:01 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
In other words, we all make choices. Nobody ia forced to work at minimum wage jobs. Some people just need to take responsibility for their own life by pursuing an education, learning a skill, and/or job opportunities.

Complaining about low wages and doing nothing to improve oneself just doesn't cut it.

Agreed 100%.

If you have worked nothing but min wage your whole life and begin to complain about your wages, then you really have no one else to blame but yourself. If your a teenager who works a min wage job, then that is where you should be. They aren't going to get $10-15 hr jobs when your under 18. It does happen, but not much.

Paying someone who has no skills and works at Burger King or McDonalds more then $6.00 hr makes no sense. If you have no skills you take what you can till you develope some skills and make yourself worth more money. Companies shouldn't be forced to pay wages to people who have no skills.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:02 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Paying someone who has no skills and works at Burger King or McDonalds more then $6.00 hr makes no sense.

Those get here $8.80 - but usually don't work more than 60 hours per month.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:07 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Paying someone who has no skills and works at Burger King or McDonalds more then $6.00 hr makes no sense.

Don't know what the cost of living is in Germany but that is way over paid to flip burgers and cook fries. There is no skill involved when it comes to most jobs that pay no better then min wage.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:37 pm
We don't have a minimum wage yet, the conservatives don't want it.

(In EURO-Europe, countries with minimum wage have at between $10 and $11.50.

BigMacIndex: $3.70 (EURO-zone) vs. $3.10 USA)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:47 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Don't know what the cost of living is in Germany but that is way over paid to flip burgers and cook fries. There is no skill involved when it comes to most jobs that pay no better then min wage.

The level of skill involved doesn't matter, as the jobs which are unskilled are still neccessary for society.

For example, it doesn't take 'skill' to dig ditches, yet ditches still are required to be done by the society who needs to drain water. Therefore the end product of the work is valuable even if the person who perfoms that work is not highly skilled. In fact, much of the 'unskilled labor' that we rely upon can be said to be of more value to society as a whole than the skilled labor force.

Therefore it is unreasonable to say that 8.80 is too much to flip burgers, because flipping burgers is something that needs to get done, and someone has to do it...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
Probably helps explain the high unemployment rates too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

The level of skill involved doesn't matter, as the jobs which are unskilled are still neccessary for society.

For example, it doesn't take 'skill' to dig ditches, yet ditches still are required to be done by the society who needs to drain water. Therefore the end product of the work is valuable even if the person who perfoms that work is not highly skilled. In fact, much of the 'unskilled labor' that we rely upon can be said to be of more value to society as a whole than the skilled labor force.

Therefore it is unreasonable to say that 8.80 is too much to flip burgers, because flipping burgers is something that needs to get done, and someone has to do it...

Cycloptichorn

If what you say is true - then what incentive would anyone have to go to further education or improve upon their skills. If these types are jobs are paid just as much as doctors, lawyers, etc., then we would have few people willing to endure the extra effort of schooling and training.
0 Replies