Feeling the Pressure..

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:31 pm
I am 27 and i have a good job and i do have a boyfriend (thought the relationship isnt stable) but i sometimes get hung up on the marriage issue. I am the only grandchild out of 18 that hasnt had a kid or been married and the last thing my grandmother said to me before she died was "you're still not married?" i know that she came from another time and wasnt happily married herself until her third hubsand but it still effects me. I wish i had found the love of my love but is it really that bad that i havent. I feel like my family looks at me as if there is something seriously wrong with me. I probably wont marry the guy im with now, and my 30th birhtday is looming. I hate myself for thinking it but i find myself thinking "what guy wants to marry a 30 year old when he can have a 25 year old" He will probably think something is wrong with me too. Then i think if i get married at 30 in 30 years i will only be 60 and have spent the past 30 years with the SAME person. Put that way i have no desire to be married anytime soon. Why do i feel like there is a set timeline that im not following?
heatherbfun
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 24
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:34 pm
If you don't want to get married, don't get married.

I know there is still a stigma attached to that, but it's more and more common and the alternative is so not worth it -- marrying someone you don't want to marry because you feel it's expected. No surer recipe for disaster.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 12:43 pm
I know a lot of women in their thirties who are enjoying the dating scene. It's a different scene, for sure, but it's still vibrant. In fact, sometimes I think I married and had kids too soon.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 02:40 pm
I wonder what heather @ badfun .com is?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:29 pm
Your idea that a guy would rather have a 25 year old than a 30 year old doesn't make sense. The guy in question would rather have YOU because YOU are the one he's in love with, not the 30 year old.
You're obsessing over something that you can do nothing about. When it happens, it'll happen.
You don't want to marry someone you're not in love with; that would certainly be worse than being single...and having a child with someone that you don't love isn't fair to anyone.

Be patient. You're ONLY 27!
:wink:
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:33 pm
Hey, Chai, I don't know what it is either, but I bet if you send an email you'll get get plenty of replies.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 03:36 pm
You have plenty of time! I just read about a 67 year old woman who gave birth. That gives you 40 more years!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:03 pm
I remember feeling blue when I was thirty and not married, remember crying my little heart out on my thirtieth birthday. That was in part that a romance was not working out, but also because of what I took as the import of the number 30 itself.

Heh, I've changed my tune now. As it was I met my husband when I was 34 and was with him for the next, oh, 25 years. But... when I was thirty, it was much, much more unusual - at least in big cities in the US - for women to be single at that age than it is now. And, still, I rarely minded it, perhaps because I had plenty of friends not settled into marriage. I think it's entirely better than marrying before you are a grownup - or your spouse is a grownup. My idea of grownup is not entirely related to age, but I'm generalizing here.

Forgive me, but from my current perspective as a woman in her sixties, I see 27 as barely old enough for such a step as marriage, unless you are comfortable with the idea of sequential marriages. So, one's viewpoint can change..

As for the fellows, I look at men in their twenties as young as well. Marrying a boy... well, it sure can work, but often doesn't over the years.
Not that most 25 year olds are immature, but lots can be. I see the twenties as a time of a lot of learning going on. (Yes, one can be a fool at fifty too.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:24 pm
Heatherbfun--

Welcome to A2K.

You indicate that you are twenty-seven years old, unmarried and feeling incomplete.

Yes, your grandmother needed a man (and a wedding ring) to be a complete person. Yes, your 17 sibs and cousins are all marching two-by-two.

Why do you feel that being different is being wrong.

Stop. Take a deep breath. Consider: Perhaps being different is a sign that you're not inferior, but special.

Unhappy single women can panic and become very unhappy married women. You don't have to panic. Very few twenty-seven year old women are finished growing and developing. Give yourself a chance.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:37 pm
You're 27 years old, and you haven't learned yet to laugh when other people tell you what you ought to do?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 04:42 pm
<Eva wins the cake...>
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:18 pm
Not for nuthin, but has anyone checked out badfun.com yet?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:19 pm
No... nemmee.
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:27 pm
Who you calling nemmee?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:28 pm
meeee
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 05:45 pm
Re: Feeling the Pressure..
heatherbfun wrote:
I hate myself for thinking it but i find myself thinking "what guy wants to marry a 30 year old when he can have a 25 year old"
Raises hand without hesitation.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:10 pm
Oh good, OCCOMBILL's here.

Hey, do me a favor and click on that heather badfun.com thing and see what happens.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 07:43 pm
I did. So?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:04 pm
Well?

Tell us what happened.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:07 pm
Chai, I see you were successful in your name-change endeavor and I would like to take the time to congratulate you.

I am so very proud of you.
0 Replies