"What a gyp!"

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:13 pm
boomerang wrote:
All I want for my birthday is an invitation to little jane's next party!

By all means, keep next September open and come on down, little Jane
would be delighted as she's a tomboy and pretty wild.

I'd opt for a puppy too, especially since Mo is at an age now, where
he can take care of the pup and they can grow up together. He
probably would bond to the puppy more than to the other dogs.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:22 pm
I have a wonderful image of Mo's Birthday Morning with Boomer & Puppy and Mr. B & Minibike trying to get through the front door at the same time.

Is part of your neck-prickling allergic reaction to a Tribal Gathering for the Birthday Boy that you don't want Auntie T and the rest of them in your house with your son?

Or you aren't sure whether Bio-Mom has spread the world that "Mo doesn't live here any more?"

If you're worried about raising a loot-mad materialist, don't. Concentrate on raising an ethical, empathetic loot-mad materialist. Some kids adore stuff. Some kids don't. Some kids grow up to be stockbrokers. Some kids don't.

Right now, Mo wants the world with a string wrapped around it and if the string comes with sequins, so much the better. Good. With you and Mr. B. he has a chance of getting as much of the world as is good for him and the occasional head of cauliflower as well.

If a puppy wouldn't interfere with school attendance, I'd go with the puppy. Mo could use a dependent to civilize--and a dog is always speaking to a kid, even when the kid is out of bounds and in Deep Disgrace.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:57 am
boomerang wrote:
First to "gyp": "Gypsies" don't call themselves "gypsy", which is short for Egyptian which nobody associates with the verb to gyp. Only the most ultra-PCers will find the term derogatory, so says my Roma friend.

Interesting, this variety of thought on birthday parties.

I'm still thinking.

It makes more sense for older kids who have actually selected some friends of their own. The invite everyone idea seems kind of lame - he hardly knows these kids and there are some that he just doesn't like. The neighborhood kids are really even more playmates than friends.

We had a big party last year. To me, it just doesn't seem like something you should do every year. And it isn't about the money. It's more about expectations.

I guess where my daughter attends school - the classes are so small that all the children know each other. Also, most of the children have attended the school since kindergarten. So it doesn't seem that they are inviting some one that they don't know - perhaps some one they don't like a whole lot, but they all know each other pretty well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
Aaarggh.

Mr. B finally confessed to having already bought the minibike but he is having second thoughts about giving it to Mo right away because Mo's listening skills are going through a dormant period.

I'm not crazy about the minibike idea anyway.

Mr B is not so crazy about the puppy idea. There aren't many puppies at the shelters right now so I don't know if that will work out after all. We'd have to make a decision pretty darn quick.

There is no school Monday since it is MLK's birthday so we thought we'd invite the neighborhood kids over for cake and ice cream while finding a special gift or event for a family celebration.

There are 24 kids in Mo's kindergarten class. I would happily invite them all over for a weenie roast or some such thing in the spring when the weather is nice but it seems really overwhelming for now.

And it is true that I don't want to raise up a mad little stuff junkie.

As to Auntie T and the rest. Hmmmm. I don't quite know what to say.

Last year that gang was the only group that insisted on violating the spirit of the garden party by bringing gifts and insisting Mo open them during the party which kind of made the other guests uncomfortable. It was awkward.

I have no doubt that they would pull the same stuff again.

They all should be aware now of the adoption being finished. How far that knowledge has spread I don't know.

If I speak from my true heart of hearts I admit that thinking of having to invite that whole gang over for every family celebration is enough to make me cry.

But I try to be bigger than that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:48 pm
My parents cut off the birthday parties when I busted into their liquor cabinet and got all the girls drunk.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
I think neighbor kids over for cake and icecream is plenty.

I'm seriously considering starting to celebrate sozlet's half birthday for just that nice weather reason. It makes such a difference.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:46 pm
Yeah - the half birthday for winter-born kids would be great!

I think our plans are in place though I still don't know whether a minibike or a puppy will win the day.

The invitations are printed - everyone to come on Monday (no school, ya' know) at 3:00 for cake and build your own ice cream sundae.

Auntie T and the grandparents have been alerted to the event.

For sundaes I have:

Chocolate ice cream
Vanilla ice cream
Whipped cream
Chips: chocolate, butterscotch, carmel/choco swirl
Sauce: hot fudge, butterscotch, white choco, Heath hard shell, choco, caramel
Topping: penta-colored sprinkles, malted milk balls, Reeses pieces, Milk Duds

Is anything else essential?

Should I have another ice cream flavor?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
ohhhhhhhh yummmmmy

i want some Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:58 pm
No fruit?

I'd be looking for bananas or peaches or something if I was faced with that sort of array as a kid.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:42 pm
I think the kids will go for the candy/junk.

But I do have frozen blueberries, stawberries, and raspberries that I can put out. Good idea!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:49 pm
When I was mo's age, I used to tell other kids' mothers that I was on a diet when they served cake.

I didn't like anybody's cake or desserts except for mrs. hamburger's, but I'd eat their fruit.

One of the local neighbourhood kiddies is kinda the same way - though she just says "got any fruit" - no subterfuge about a diet Embarrassed
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:22 am
Hi Boomer,
I hatehatehate giving kid's birthday parties! When my luvly dawter (heard Herman's Hermits yesterday) was little I had a few at the neighborhood park (she's a Taurus), then one at McDonalds, one at her gymnastics school... then I found a deal.

Centralia, WA has a bunch of outlet stores, and they were looking to attract more shoppers. For a really low price, we got round-trip train tickets from Seattle to Centralia, a hotel room, and a free dinner. Shuttle service to the outlets was also free. When I compared the price of the trip to the price of the gymnastics party, I found I could take her to the outlet toy store and say YES to everything she wanted! It's so much fun (and so rare) to just take a day and say yes, you can have that.

I've given her a choice since -- a surprise weekend trip, a party, or cash. So far she's taken the trip (she's 17 now).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:05 pm
It is a real treat to say "Yes" to things! When Mo gets a little older (and learns to enjoy shopping) I just might plan such an adventure.

Meanwhile....

He got his gift a few days early so that Mr. B could teach him to ride it and I could have my heart attack in peace:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/action1small.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 02:15 pm
Boomer--

This is obviously a Cheaper by the Dozen gray hair experience.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 02:30 pm
Oh my god, boomer, tell that that thing has a speed cap of 5 mph or something!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
Are you mocking me, mac?

Because I'm getting quite enough of that from Mr. B, thank you very much.

He insists I could chase Mo down -- that I'm faster on foot that Mo is on that bike. A few years ago that might have been true. I'm going to start hitting the treadmill right away.

And yes, Noddy. I'm thinking of buying some Clariol stock....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 03:10 pm
GO MO! Pop a mono, I dare ya, yeha get that front wheel off the ground.

Quote:
When Mo gets a little older (and learns to enjoy shopping)

It aint happening boomer, get used to it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 03:31 pm
Boys!

<snort>

You're all alike.

Actually Mo is already riding over his bicycle ramps - doing little mini jumps. I'm surprised at how quickly he's gotten the hang of it.

We've opened the gates on either side of our backyard and he is circling the house....

..... and circling the house....

......... and circling the house......

Mr. B made him sign a little contract about what was/was not okay behavior with the minibike. Fingers crossed that he follows the rules because the fallout from losing the bike would be intolerable.

I might have to just go get myself a puppy. My email "hints" to Mr. B have gone unremarked upon. Even this little half-Dal.....

http://familydogsnewlife.org/dogImages/thumbnails/butch011-12.9.15.44.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:05 pm
Ya know Mr B is gonna have to buy a dirt bike now dont you. So they can go trail riding together.

Quote:
and circling the house....

......... and circling the house....

Never too young for a bit of circle work.

circle work
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:20 pm
Boomer--

Half dalmatian? You want Mo and a half-dalmatian in the same house?

Forget the Clairol stock and invest in whatever drug company makes valium.
0 Replies