A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:52 am
@jespah,
The two storms have met over New Brunswick and Nova Scotia this weekend. Hurricane force winds added to the mix have caused enormous problems there.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 12:56 pm
If anyone ever says that 2 feet of snow is not that much...they are a bullshitter....I am a big guy, and I just shoveled 3 cars out...
Ragman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 01:14 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
The worst part (recalling Blizz of '78) is/was having to toss the snow up over a hedge or snow bank to find a place to put the bulk of it... as opposed to tossing across or down. After 20-30 minutes of doing that, it gets mighty tiring. Taking a section at a time with a quick break in between, but then realizing it's only getting you a small area cleaned up when you have 10-20 more feet to go is a big deterrent, too.

Worst part is watching the big snow plows coming down your street and plowing another huge snow bank of 4-5 ft at the end of the driveway or space on the side street you just scraped out.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 02:06 pm
@Ragman,
Yeah, I was not around in 78' but 2 years ago when it was bad here...there was this business I would shovel, where it got so bad, and the piles were so high, that half the work was finding places to put the snow...And times the snow would fall back down...And talk about deflation...When doing this business...I would go around one side, and another would go around the other, and when we were all done, and met up...we would turn back around, and there would be another 3 or 4 inches and we would have to start all over again....

And dang it, I think I just jinxed myself because I have to do another...

Friggen global warming...this sux...
jespah

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 02:06 pm
@Ragman,
I know what you mean about the over the shoulder tossing.

Day2
RP - this is the sidewalk in front of our home -
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/jespah301/Silliness/JayDay2_zps82509e93.jpg

The car -
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/jespah301/Silliness/PilesDay2_zps267390d9.jpg

Our porch -
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/jespah301/Silliness/PorchDay2_zps06890b4a.jpg
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 02:47 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

i was trying to dump everything on our property, but the more tired i got,
the less i cared about sticking to the plan...

R(spaghetti arms)P
Rockhead

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 02:49 pm
@jespah,
where is the giant snowman that RP is making for us?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 02:57 pm
@Rockhead,

http://lolpranks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/funny-clever-sign-prank-winter-practical-joke-snowman-snow.jpg
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 03:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

The very first car I did today...I did not even realize there was a car parked next to me while throwing the snow....On the first couple shovels...Mr. Green Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 04:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thats a ripoff from my kid who, in the 1993 blizzard, put up a sign

FOR SALE-SNOWMAN KITS
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 04:02 pm
@farmerman,
Its amazing that we didnt get anything from this storm, just some rain and a little dusting of flurries until early Sat AM
Friends who live in Williamsport also got but an inch or so. This NEMO was really pissed at you guys upNorth
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:32 am
Quote:
Boston launches ‘snow strike teams’ to target massive
snow piles clogging city streets

The City of Boston today is dispatching what officials described as “snow strike teams” to remove
the massive piles of plowed snow that continue to clog roads.

Armed with orange spray paint, the teams will tag mounds for removal by front-end loaders and
dump trucks. Some roads will be closed so snow can be removed.

The snow will be trucked to empty lots that the city has designated as “snow farms.” Boston also
plans to utilize snow melters owned by the Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates Logan
International Airport.

“The main focus now is widening our main arterials, side streets, and business districts,” said
city spokeswoman, Dot Joyce. “Travel remains a challenge because of the narrow roadways.”

The “snow strike teams” will include police officers and employees form the city’s transportation,
public works, and neighborhood services departments. The city has not announced what roads
will be targeted for closure.
(globe)
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:35 am
@Region Philbis,
do they still use those snow melters that they had when I was a kid?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:37 am
@farmerman,

these bad boys have been blanketing the town all weekend

http://transportationnation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/top_snow_plow.jpg
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 03:44 pm
I go back a ways, as most of you know. This wasn't the Blizzard of '79 but at least 20 or more years earlier, sometime in the 1950s. I was quite young, trudging through the snow after a particularly bad storm, when I suddenly became aware that I was walking on tops of cars parked along Huntington Avenue in Boston. Back then nobody would bother trying to dig out until after the plows had done all their plowing. This could cause problems because Mayor James Michael Curley, whose snow-removal budget had become somewhat depleted (but that's another story), was fond of saying, "God sent us the snow; God will melt it and take it away."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:12 pm

here we go again...

Quote:
-Snow starts 4-7PM Saturday

-Rain mixed in at the coast and across SE Mass Saturday evening

-Any rain changes to a heavy wet snow by early Sunday morning, possible power lines/tree branches down under weight of snow

-Where it's all snow, we're totaling about a foot of snow

-Two high tides to watch: Saturday at 10PM, Sunday at 10AM

-High tide could bring in coastal flooding and beach erosion, especially the Sunday 10AM tide.

-Storm wraps up around midday Sunday
(whdh)
jespah

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:35 pm
@Region Philbis,
We'd best go grocery shopping tomorrow, then.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:45 pm
@jespah,
I just love the title of this thread! Laughing
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

we came pretty dang close last winter...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:39 pm
@Region Philbis,
We lucked out big time this time mate...CT shore is only supposed to get 0-2 inches...I feel for you man! I really do...

I won't even bring up my other point...Cause it sucks to think about right now...