A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:19 am
They are now projecting 15-20 inches in CT...
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:27 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
How much snow did you get 2 years ago when it was really bad in this area?
we had about 60" during the winter of 2010-11...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:32 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

They are now projecting 15-20 inches in CT...

I didn't realize you were in CT. I imagine the #s differ depending on interior vs. coast.
JPB

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:36 am
I saw some crazy numbers coming out yesterday. 3-4 FT in some areas. Wowsah!
George

The weatherfolk keep using the word "historic".
I don't like to see that word in the same sentence as "snowstorm".
JPB

@George,
no kidding.

Be safe out there and don't try to shovel three ft of snow all at once!!!
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:40 am
@JPB,
The radio here is threatening us with three to four feet of snow. If i let the little dogs outside, i may lose them.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:43 am
@JPB,
I remember 2 years ago, it was so bad...That pretty powerful snow blowers could not even handle it...And you would have to go very slow...Or chop sections out...and blow them away...Then do a bit more each time....One storm we got there late, because we waited till it all came down...Because it was going to be very bad to drive in, and it was a weekend to work...And the snow was so high it would go over the chute for the snow on the blowers....
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:44 am
@jespah,
You are correct Jespah...And I am lucky because I live near the southern coast...almost always we do not get as much as up north...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:50 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

that winter was the first time we witnessed city snow removal via caterpillar and dump truck on our block, because we had run out of places to put it.

we had two 7' high piles in the front yard...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:53 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah....I remember a story about how fireman had to "dig out" a hydrant...Because it was buried by about 3-4 feet on the side of the road...

LoL...yeah...It was bad...They started dumping the snow straight into the ocean...to get rid of it, and melt it...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:49 am
This is why I am heading to the market today, and during the day, when most people are at work. I cannot imagine what the lines and overall mood will be like tonight or early tomorrow.
George

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 09:44 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
. . . I cannot imagine what the lines and overall mood will be like tonight
or early tomorrow.
I'm guessing "ugly".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 09:54 am
Holding my breath for everyone in the storm area.

I remember a great deal of snow when I lived in the Chicago area for five years when I was a kid. We arrived there in a blizzard that I don't now see a record online of, around Nov. 4th in 1950. There was a biggie around Thanksgiving, 1950, and apparently another biggie in the early part of December. Chihuahua! We had a large side yard and the drifts could be huge, though not as high as seven feet in our particular yard, that I remember.

In my googleing all this, I see Chicago has historically relatively little snow in comparison to, say, Cleveland.

Miller

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 01:04 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Holding my breath for everyone in the storm area.

I remember a great deal of snow when I lived in the Chicago area for five years when I was a kid. We arrived there in a blizzard that I don't now see a record online of, around Nov. 4th in 1950. There was a biggie around Thanksgiving, 1950, and apparently another biggie in the early part of December. Chihuahua! We had a large side yard and the drifts could be huge, though not as high as seven feet in our particular yard, that I remember.

In my googleing all this, I see Chicago has historically relatively little snow in comparison to, say, Cleveland.

There was a big one in Chicago also in the late 60s. Public transportion in Chicago still went on though. From the loop to about 119th st and Morgan it took about 6 hours.

In Boston, in 1978, all public transportation stopped. No cars were permitted in Boston, except for emergency vans. The crowd at the Boston Garden for a basketball game, was not permitted to leave and the City of Boston was under martial law with armed troops.

No troops were called out, as far as I know during the 60s storm in Chicago.
The folks in Chicago ( inner City ) are far tougher than those living in the City of Boston.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 01:49 pm
Weather Underground's Jeff Masters wrote:
A potentially historic Nor'easter is brewing for the Northeast U.S., where blizzard watches are up for much of eastern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. The storm, dubbed "Nemo" by the Weather Channel, is expected to bring heavy snows of 1 - 2 feet, coastal wind gusts over hurricane force, and moderate to major coastal flooding. During the peak of the storm, Friday night into Saturday morning, snowfall rates of 2 - 3" per hour can be expected. These intense bursts of snow may be accompanied by lightning and thunder. The cites of Boston, Hartford, Providence, Portland, and Burlington are all likely to get more than a foot of snow, and two feet of snow will probably fall along a swath from the western suburbs of Boston to Southwest Maine. With the Nor'easter generating these heavy snows expected to bomb out with a central pressure of 972 - 976 mb, the rapid flow of air around this low pressure center will generate ferocious sustained winds near 50 mph at the coast, with wind gusts in excess of hurricane force--74 mph. The combination of heavy snow and high winds will make travel extremely dangerous or impossible, with near-zero visibility in white-out conditions. Total snowfall from the storm is likely to rank in the top ten for Boston since weather observations began at Logan Airport in the 1950s. Here is the current top-10 list for Logan Airport:

1. February 17-18, 2003 27.5"
2. February 6-7, 1978 27.1"
3. February 24-27, 1969 26.3"
4. March 31-April 1, 1997 25.4"
5. January 22-23, 2005 22.5"
6. January 20-21, 1978 21.4"
7. March 3-5, 1960 19.8"
8. February 16-17, 1958 19.4"
9. February 8-10, 1994 18.7"
10. January 7-8, 1996 18.2"
10. December 20-22, 1975 18.2"
10. December 26-27, 2010 18.2"

Beware the waves and surge along the coast. Significant flooding is also forecast along the coast.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/2013/feb7_surge.png
roger

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 02:40 pm
@JPB,
Somebody's up for a bad weekend, and it ain't going to be me.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 02:59 pm
@roger,

it won't be so bad.
we get to play in the snow -- a lot...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 03:25 pm
The Alberta Clipper snow has started here in Toronto.

Going to be an ugly morning commute.

Maybe I can wear snowpants to work?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 03:54 pm
@ehBeth,

casual friday!
0 Replies