A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 01:41 pm
Hey you Beantowners, watch where yer shoveling! You're throwing it down this way. We're supposed to get 2 to 3 inches of the stuff here in Albuquerque tomorrow and another inch the next day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 01:54 pm
They're now saying 8" to 12" for us tomorrow.

Oh joy . . .
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 02:14 pm

ai-yi-yi
yi-yi
yi-yi-yi-yi-yi...

Quote:
Snow expected to arrive Tuesday morning; up to 21 inches expected

Winter weather will deliver a powerful one-two punch to Massachusetts and its snow-fatigued residents, dumping as much as 21 inches of snow on some areas of the state on Tuesday and Wednesday, the National Weather Service said today.

A snowfall total prediction map released this afternoon by the weather service showed 18 inches or more falling over the northern half of the state, including 21 inches in north central areas. The amounts taper gradually heading south. The Boston area will get 16 inches, according to the map.

Most of the southern half of the state will get more than a foot, with only sections of southeastern Massachusetts, and the Cape and islands dodging the bullet.

The snow will start in western Massachusetts early Tuesday, then arrive in Eastern Massachusetts by 5 a.m. or 6 a.m. By the afternoon commute, 4 to 8 inches may have accumulated, the forecasters said, warning of dangerous travel conditions.

The snow will taper off Tuesday evening. Then precipitation will resume Wednesday morning. The snow will mix with, and change to, sleet and freezing rain south of the Turnpike. North of the Pike, it could be Wednesday afternoon before snow mixes with sleet and perhaps freezing rain, the forecasters said.
(Globe)
JPB

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:50 pm
Can we just skip straight to Friday?

Quote:
Tonight
Snow. Snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Lows 17 to 21. Northeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Tuesday
Windy...cloudy. Chance of snow in the morning...then snow in the afternoon. Areas of blowing snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Highs in the mid 20s. Northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph at times. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Tuesday Night
Very windy. Periods of snow and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Areas of blowing snow with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Snow may be heavy at times. Snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches. Lows 13 to 17. Wind chills as low as zero to 10 below zero. Northeast winds 30 to 40 mph. Gusts up to 50 mph in the evening increasing to 55 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Wednesday
Very windy. Cloudy. Areas of blowing snow with visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. Periods of snow in the morning...then a chance of light snow in the afternoon. Several inches of accumulation possible. Highs in the mid 20s. North winds 25 to 35 mph. Gusts up to 55 mph in the morning decreasing to 40 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy in the evening then clearing. Lows 5 to 9 below. Then temperatures becoming steady or slowly rising. Lowest wind chill readings 15 below to 25 below zero after midnight. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thursday
Sunny. Highs 10 to 14.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
Wow!!

Meanwhile, everyone here is freaking out about the ice storm. I don't know what to think. I do have a healthy fear of ice storms as opposed to snow storms because the ones I've experienced here were really destructive. But will it be a false alarm? That's definitely happened too.

My fridge and pantry are reasonably full, my car is going in the garage this evening, beyond that I'll just wait and see.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:41 pm
@sozobe,
I picked a stash of snacks for the office gang today - I've got two polar fleece wraps that double as blankets under the desk. There's a decent chance I'll be the only person at my level in on Wednesday - gotta be prepared.
jespah

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Shniff. I'm gonna miss my gym. I may see it again in three weeks.

PS Beth -- those are some tall piles.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 05:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Oooh, definitely makes a difference if you have to go out into it. Sounds like you're well prepared.

FB status update from a friend: "If you don't need to go to Kroger right now....stay home. This place is packed!"
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:08 pm
@sozobe,
Well, golly gee. Best wishes to everyone over the next few days. Take it easy; perhaps the world will continue to rotate even if you don't go to work.
Here in Cville we are right on the line between rain and ice tonight and tomorrow. Keeping the power on is the big issue.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 07:41 pm
Extreme weather everywhere...

Just reading about hingehead preparing for the cyclone due tonight.

Most of the southern part of Australia is experiencing a heat wave - temps about 40C+ - around 105-110F
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:43 pm
Weather extremes in two quarters!

By the way. That "up to 21 inches" is for Tuesday/Wednesday. There is talk of more snow this weekend too.

Edit: " Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 am Tuesday to 1 am EST Thursday... " that's a Weather Advisory. That's 43 hours!
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:47 am
@littlek,

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/6/952/15314_512x288_manicured__Ys4QB4TLVUWXVolqBBFXjw.jpg

it's thee enda thuh werld...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:07 am
Quote:
For the second time this month, Logan International Airport received permission from the state Department of
Environmental Protection to blow snow into Boston Harbor because there is no place left to put it on the airfield.
(Globe)
patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 06:12 am
We've got a big lull in snow just in time for the plows to tidy up before the morning commute. Boo! No snow day!

Of course, they've got a blizzard starting in time for the evening commute.
jespah

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 06:19 am
@patiodog,
It's all in the timing. Our snow emergency is supposed to start at 9 AM today.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:19 am
Now they're tellin' us that in addition to the 8" to 12" today, we can expect 4" to 6" tomorrow. I blame the French.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 07:54 am
Ice, ice baby.

Right now it's in the sweet spot of enough to close schools but not enough to cause serious damage and power outages. The freezing rain is still falling though.
djjd62

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:00 am
we might be getting our first big storm this season, other areas are slated for around 30 centimetres (a foot or so), we're only looking at about 10 to 15 centimetres (about half a foot) but we will have winds of around 50 kilometres, gusting to 70 kilometres (about 30 to 40 miles an hour), so lots of drifting snow in our future
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:42 am
@sozobe,
ohhh... I hope you keep your power!

Stay safe.
sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 08:45 am
@JPB,
Thanks JPB.

E.G. The Brave (and/or Stupid) went off to work today. He got there fine but I hope he's not stuck there for the next week.

We have 40-mph gusts in the forecast -- that plus ice wouldn't be pretty. Fingers crossed.

How's it going up by you?