The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:33 pm
@Paaskynen,
Quote:
I saw some 15 DVDs last wekend,

15 DVDs in one weekend? How is that possible?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree. They are great together.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:09 pm
I watched two on Sunday night: Michael Moore's Sicko (I want to know if the doctors in England, France and Cuba are really as hot as the doctors in Moore's film) and a long time favorite: Antonia's Line.

I first saw Antonia's Line with my kids (now 32 and 30) when they were in high school. We loved the movie then but I hadn't seen it since. I was a little nervous about revisiting it but it turned out to be as delightful as the first time. An oldfashioned European movie.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:42 am
@InfraBlue,

Quote:
I streamed Antichrist last night from Netflix. I'm dumbfounded as to why von Trier would title this movie of his "Antichrist." I was expecting to see something along the lines of Christian Apocalyptic mythology. The movie had nothing to do with this. Instead, it was about a decent into madness by a woman who lost her child. The movie was pretty good in that respect, although it lacked a connection between the woman's feelings of loss and her mental decline. All von Trier shows is a few flashes of the child falling out of a window, and the woman saying once, "I miss him so much."

Did you find it particularly gory or violent?
I read a review of it and really, really want to watch it, but I'm afraid it'd be too violent for me to make it through. I almost picked it up last week-end - literally took it off the shelf, put it back, took it off, put it back and then ended up leaving without it.

Just to give you an idea of my violence aversion level - I couldn't sit through Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of Christ'. There's a point for me at which the violence and mayhem and abuse overpowers the story and I can't watch the movie.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:45 am
@aidan,
Also did "Goyas Ghosts" from netflix streaming. Good flick. Were doing a run through the lives of artists. Were coming to the bitter end.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:47 am
@aidan,
I watched The Boat that Rocked twice in the past two days. I LOVED it! I'd read a review that panned it - Bill Nihy whom I love in almost anything- and Rhys Darby who plays Murray in flight of the Conchords- made it a must see for me, and it was so worth it.
Incredible music and understated humor- I recorded it so I can watch it whenever I need a fix of one or the other.
aidan

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:18 am
@aidan,
here's a trailer - I think I'm gonna have to watch it again:
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:09 am
We watched "The Lovely Bones" the other night. I should say we watched part of it...we both fell asleep (and we weren't all that tired...just bored). Anyone else see it? Did you enjoy?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:07 pm
@eoe,
I read an interview with Meryl who said she came on the set everyday, muttering to herself, "I am 6' 2"!"
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Stanley Tucci is one of those quiet, under-rated actors.
eoe

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:18 pm
@plainoldme,
I don't think he's under-rated at all. He appears to be very well-respected and he works all the time in a variety of roles that you just know were highly sought after. Plus, he's handsome. Actually, he's kinda hot. What more can you ask for? Okay. An award, I suppose. Has he ever been nominated?
Irishk

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:29 pm
@eoe,
He played the serial killer in The Lovely Bones. He said he tried to read the book, but it was just too painful...although he had no problem with the script. His wife (who is no longer living) didn't want him to take the part (she read the book, too). I think he was nominated for his role...not positive, though.
eoe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:36 am
Watched "Little Children" last night with Kate Winslet and Jennifer O'Connell. For me it was kind of a 'why bother' movie. A lot going on but none of it significant.
aidan

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:50 pm
@eoe,
I watched this movie called Cracks directed by Jordan Scott (produced by Ridley and Tony Scott- he must be their son or nephew or someone).

Anyway, it looked interesting:
It's about what happens to an outsider when she gets put in this all-girls boarding school- a female version of Lord of the Flies. Beautifully, beautifully shot and fascinating to watch.

I just kept thinking - 'Jesus - I'm glad I grew up in the suburbs- the stuff that went on there is NOTHING compared to what these girls went and put each other through.'

I would recommend it as a way to kill two hours. The scenery is amazing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 06:15 pm
Watched 2 middling movies that in the end deserve their bad reviews.

The independent science fiction flick Pandorum and the Will Ferrel/John C. Reilly disaster film Step Brothers. Do me a favor and don't bother watching either. You're not missing out on either. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:46 am
We watched Outsourced last night. Hilarious little indie film. If you're in the mood to laugh and laugh, I highly recommend this movie. (It's also on Netflix streaming for those that subscribe).

Quote:
When his department is outsourced to India, customer call center manager Todd Anderson (Josh Hamilton) heads to Mumbai to train his successor (Asif Basra), and amusing culture clashes ensue as Anderson tries to explain American business practices to the befuddled new employees. In the process, he learns important lessons about globalization -- and life.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:38 pm
@Irishk,
yes, he was nominated.
Irishk

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 05:24 pm
@panzade,
Thanks, Pan! He was almost unrecognizable in that role. They made him a blonde (lol) and gave him dark contacts to make his eyes even more menacing. He was perfect as the kind-of-scary guy next door...just the right balance of normal-yet-creepy. Definitely the bright side in an otherwise mediocre movie. JMHO, though.
panzade

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:42 pm
@Irishk,
I didn't recognize him either. I have a feeling Tucci went to all that trouble so he wouldn't be type-cast. Very Happy
Irishk

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 11:06 pm
@panzade,
Laughing

I think they also stuffed something in his mouth (jowls?) similar to what they did with Marlon Brando in The Godfather. His (Tucci's) face looked fuller than usual and at first I thought it was the hair, but it wasn't just that. He's certainly had some great roles to play so far in his career. The future doesn't look too bad for him either...several things coming our way soon.
0 Replies