The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:05 am
American Gangster - Loved it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:55 pm
barrythemod wrote:
No Country For Old Men-while Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin more than earn their pay-cheques,this film belongs to Javier Bardem's portrayal of one of the best mean SOAB for a long time.You wouldn't wanna walk past him on a busy street,let alone bump into him in a dark alley!

I've been following Bardem's movies since I saw him in Pedro Almodóvar's "Live Flesh" back in 1997. I went back and saw his earlier films like "Jamón, jamón," and "Mouth to Mouth." I had a feeling he'd follow in Antonio Banderas' path to Hollywood. He's a very good actor. His first crossover flick was "Before Night Falls," where he plays Cuban poet Reinaldo Arenas, who died of AIDS in New York. Right now I'm in the middle of watching "Love In The Time of Cholera," in which he plays the protagonist's role. It's pretty good so far.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:36 pm
Sophie's Choice and Out of Africa - both with Merryl Streep, both excellent.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 02:37 pm
"Midnight Cowboy," a restored print on HD Net Movies in high definition. Well, it's still a mix of rather depressing pathos, comedy (especially in the infamous pot-smoking party scene), and the most brilliant aspect of the film, character studies right down to short appearances from the likes of Sylvia Miles. It's less dated than one first thinks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:25 pm
The same day (I recorded these on my DVR), "The Grifters," the Scorcese produced film directed by Stephen Frears ("The Crying Game." It has to be one of the best crime film with an LA setting ever made, other than "LA Confidential." Again, a pristine print, not to mention pristine performances by Angelica Huston, John Cusack and Annette Bening as the trampy con artist for which she took home the Oscar. The atmosphere is gripping, the plot keeps you guessing until the tragic ending. Angelica was certainly never more chillingly evil.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 04:16 am
InfraBlue wrote:
barrythemod wrote:
No Country For Old Men-while Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin more than earn their pay-cheques,this film belongs to Javier Bardem's portrayal of one of the best mean SOAB for a long time.You wouldn't wanna walk past him on a busy street,let alone bump into him in a dark alley!

Right now I'm in the middle of watching "Love In The Time of Cholera," in which he plays the protagonist's role. It's pretty good so far.

That's definatly on my "to watch" list!

Meanwhile,I've just taken The Night Of The Sunflowers out of the player.
From the front cover-"Two shocking crimes.One horrific mistake.A choice between justice or vengeance."
It's a good character-driven story set in the heart of rural Spain.Yes,it's another of my foreign films again :wink: . There are 5,or was it 6 overlapping stories(I was so absorbed I lost count),each one expanding the characters even more.
It's compelling Spanish noir.Satisfyingly intricate and sinister.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 05:50 am
InfraBlue wrote:
barrythemod wrote:

I've been following Bardem's movies since I saw him in Pedro Almodóvar's "Live Flesh" back in 1997. Right now I'm in the middle of watching "Love In The Time of Cholera," in which he plays the protagonist's role. It's pretty good so far.

My local cinema is running a free members screening of Love In The Time this Sunday.After reading reviews and your prod,it would be rude of me to turn down the invitation,wouldn't it :wink: .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 11:07 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The same day (I recorded these on my DVR), "The Grifters," the Scorcese produced film directed by Stephen Frears ("The Crying Game."

I haven't seen "The Grifters" in years but will NEVER forget that ending. Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 04:31 pm
A shattering twist of fate!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 09:33 pm
barry, the film, in and of itself, is pretty good, dealing with love finally requited in old age. The story was funny and tender.

I think people who had read the book were disappointed by the movie, but it's rare when a movie matches a book upon which it's based, especially a masterpiece like Marquez'.

Netflix will be sending me No Country this weekend. I can hardly wait!

One very good film that I think will be, or should be, a cult classic is Wristcutters: A Love Story. About suicides who meet in limbo. It's great dark comedy. I watched it just this past weekend.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:34 am
I actually watched three episodes of Quantum Leap last night!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:36 am
On DVD The Return (Vozvrashcheniye)...
A cracking film from Russia telling a story about a twelve year absentee father taking his two sons on a fishing trip.Although the colour of the film has been "washed-out",the cinematography is superb,along with the acting.The 2 young lads are brilliant! This film is a gem Very Happy .
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:19 am
Screamers.
I knew this was a low budget film when I saw that the label on the the Johnny Walker whisky bottle was red and not black :wink: .
This is an enjoyable B grade Sci-Fi Film.Some of the SFX are a bit iffy but seeing as it was made 10 years ago they don't detract from the story,which is "who can you trust?"But I have a question..."Why are "our heros" so afraid of rats compared to the screamers?"
After seeing the film,Blade Runner fans will love this quote..."I learned something to! I learned to love".
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:31 am
"A Good Year" with Russell Crowe. It was so-so. Beautiful to look at tho. The chateau and grounds were breathtaking, even in disarray.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:55 am
Due to the laptop upgrade a few weeks ago,I've now discovered the joy of downloading films (legal,of course) from 4oD,Channel 4 on Demand.I have a great respect for Channel 4 due to their support for "independent" films.You have to register and give a credit card number,but if you stick to the free stuff,it might save you a walk/drive to your local B'buster on a wet Saturday night.You have a choice of watching "live" or saving to hard-drive to watch at a later date within a certain time frame.
I tried it yesterday with great success,without being charged a penny.I downloaded to hard-drive Battle Of Haditha and The Mark Of Cain,both telling a story of soldiers in Iraq,one from the US pov,the other from the UK pov.They both reflect upon the fact that,under certain circumstances,people make mistakes/take advantage of/abuse their situation.Neither film preaches,they both leave it up to the viewer to make up his/her mind,but both stories are very disturbing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:20 am
Can't get into watching movies on my computer yet. I'm on it too much as it is...

Last night I watched Bette Davis play twins in "Dead Ringer". Big fun drama. The harpsichord music is still in my head.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:43 am
Just got the whole set of Planet Earth. I had seen in in hi-def on TV, but I don't have a hi-def DVD player, (the one that I have upconverts)so I bought the regular DVDs. It still looks great, and is worth seeing again and again.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 09:52 am
We just watched 'Next' with Nicholas Cage. These know-the-future-and-thereby-change-it things always make my head spin...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:56 pm
Meet Joe Black
A good film. Anthony Hopkins reminded me somewhat of Richard Burton.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:06 pm
Richard Burton? I didn't get that at all.

Brad Pitt was ridiculously beautiful. And I liked the mix in his character of total innocence with absolute confidence.
0 Replies